japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

also, i think it has something to do with the whack-ass pricing system of hotels in japan.

some places charge by person, not by room. that creates problems like bringing BZs back to a single room and etc.

but then, when you book a double room, you just strike out completely.

also, i think it has something to do with the whack-ass pricing system of hotels in japan.

some places charge by person, not by room. that creates problems like bringing BZs back to a single room and etc.

but then, when you book a double room, you just strike out completely.

exactly. i'm trying to book a hotel right now but we got 3 heads. that just makes it even more difficult. 2 is no problem.

anyone have any decent hotels/spots they can suggest for 3 people?

I've done 3 to a room at the Cerulean and they didn't care. This was a long time ago back when my deadbeat friends would rather share a bed than get a room. Actually, nevermind, they'd still do that. I actually didn't know that places really cared.

exactly. i'm trying to book a hotel right now but we got 3 heads. that just makes it even more difficult. 2 is no problem.

anyone have any decent hotels/spots they can suggest for 3 people?

Not many decent hotels offer it but Cerulean do 3 bed rooms (Sky View Deluxe Twin) although one of the beds is a rollaway but it's still comfortable - they usually charge ¥6,000 although they didn't add it to our bill for some reason.

i'm not entirely sure about this but i speculate most hotels in j-land have floor plans in which identical rooms are located in the same section / floor. that's how people get flagged and etc.

guys, will be doing tokyo-kyoto-hiroshima early september - storm season, how bad is it?

Also any recs on high-end sushi, kaiseki and kobe beef eateries?

Lastly, this may be a little out of scope here, but whats the general attitude towards disabled/wheelchair users in Japan? I am a bit worried that going to certain places might be restricted (in addition to stairs, tight spaces, etc), in terms of entering without shoes and such.

Edited by badlydrawn

most of highly commercialized / touristy places e.g. museums are equipped with elevators and have wheelchair-friendly features.

Your options may be somewhat limited if you want to hit up hole-in-the-wall type of places.

I've never really seen people in wheel chairs who are out and about in Tokyo (at least the areas I usually hang out in). Maybe I'm just being oblivious.

It may seem that a first-world country like Japan would be wheelchair friendly but all those regulations mandating accessibility are BS, I think (or maybe the rules don't extend beyond public venues and what is considered basic infrastructure)

Tokyo the city is not always wheelchair friendly - there are just some old buildings (mostly refaced so they look new and trick the eye) that you won't be able to access. Space is at a premium, so basements and things are also common here.

On the other hand, I feel people in wheelchairs get treated well here, no looks or awkward moments, and you can do most things still, a lot of the nice things are ground or elevator accessible. Taxis are wheelchair friendly, you'll see a sticker designating access, and the driver can help you. There are elevators to the subway stations, but you should have a smartphone with maps to figure out where the elevator is, as there's only one elevator for many subterranean staircases.

accessibility is always an issue, which can be overcome sometimes - my concern (without any prejudices) is on attitudes... do not want to be stepping/rolling over toes, etc. EU, US, I know the laws & regulations, and can communicate... however, I can't seem to find much information regard Japan. Also, very little disabled seem to be on the go in and about Japan, in general media (not that I have been watching intently), of course there are lot of old people, but thats not the same... but thanks for the insight so far.

I will have a smart phone and a mobile hotspot with me for navigation, but are there any specific apps/sites you guys know/use? Dismalfuture, you mentioned maps with lift locations, I guess your not talking about Google Maps?

And any pointers re: storm season and where I can get some kobe beef? : )

Oh, and is there still an Exotic car meet up every saturdays at Daikoku Pier?

Edited by badlydrawn

guys, will be doing tokyo-kyoto-hiroshima early september - storm season, how bad is it?

Also any recs on high-end sushi, kaiseki and kobe beef eateries?

Lastly, this may be a little out of scope here, but whats the general attitude towards disabled/wheelchair users in Japan? I am a bit worried that going to certain places might be restricted (in addition to stairs, tight spaces, etc), in terms of entering without shoes and such.

Honestly I was shocked by how many different spaces in Japan aren't handicap accesible, especially in the more dense cities like Tokyo and Osaka. But as far as attitudes go I wouldn't expect to be treated with anything but respect and the fact you can communicate will help as well.

I don't really like AF1s but these are :blink:

ドーãƒãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒªãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒžãƒ¼ã‚±ãƒƒãƒˆãƒ­ãƒ³ãƒ‰ãƒ³ã§ã€ï¼—月28日ã«è²©å£²ãŒäºˆå®šã•ã‚Œã¦ã„るナイキ×ドーãƒãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒªãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒžãƒ¼ã‚±ãƒƒãƒˆã®ã‚¨ã‚¢ãƒ•ã‚©ãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒ¯ãƒ³ï¼ˆNIKE×DOVER STREET MARKET AIR FORCE 1)。ドーãƒãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒªãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒžãƒ¼ã‚±ãƒƒãƒˆéŠ€åº§ã§ã‚‚販売ã•ã‚Œã‚‹ãã†ã§ã™ã€‚デザインã¯ãƒ¬ãƒˆãƒ­ã§è‰¯ã„æ„Ÿã˜â™ª

ãªã‚“ã§ã‚‚ã€ã‚¢ãƒƒãƒ‘ー素æã«ã¯ã€ŒVentileã€ã¨å‘¼ã°ã‚Œã‚‹é˜²ç«æ€§ã€é˜²æ°´æ€§ã€é˜²é¢¨æ€§ã«å„ªã‚ŒãŸãƒã‚¤ãƒ†ã‚¯ç´ æを使用ã—ã€ã‚¿ãƒ³ã®éƒ¨åˆ†ã«ã¯DOVER STREET MARKET LONDON ( ドーãƒãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒªãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒžãƒ¼ã‚±ãƒƒãƒˆ ロンドン )ã®ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒªãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒŠãƒ³ãƒãƒ¼ã§ã‚ã‚‹17-18ãŒåˆ»ã¾ã‚Œã¦ã„ã‚‹ãã†ã§ã™ã€‚

予定ã¨ã—ã¦ã¯ï¼—月2ï¼æ—¥ãƒ‰ãƒ¼ãƒãƒ¼ã‚¹ãƒˆãƒªãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒžãƒ¼ã‚±ãƒƒãƒˆéŠ€åº§ã«ã¦è²©å£²ã€‚ãŠå€¤æ®µ18900円。

qubFP.jpg

any interesting off the beaten track type spots? headin to the boonies to see my fam and all is great, but there are some amazing gems in tokyo. got any off the beaten track areas to share?

do you want to go to destroyed love hotels and ruins? or generally sketchy places?

i've been going to the western side of tokyo a lot these days. lots of decent food and cultural stuff.

asakusa chikagai (where furai-do and 5 hr records are) is pretty nuts. you guys should all check it out if you are ever in the area.

f1d42409600cffa2377baa1a19121c50.jpg

standing bars in tate-ish (i think it's how it's pronounced) are cool too.

Edited by herpsky

what about streamer's coffee house. there's a half japanese girl who works there.

the coffee is excellent, so i was told

this.

streamers was probably the nicest coffee I had in japan! side note super jealous that you guys live in such an amazing country/city :)

i will be coming back to japan asap.

• 3 weeks later...