japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

i think the true winners live in the 地方都市 such as Sendai, Fukuoka, and Sapporo. Cost of living is low yet you can get most of the everyday cool things that you want. you won't probably be able to buy a valextra briefcase but you can still most of the sufu-approved brands. actually, it's much easier to cop "grails" in smaller cities. Revolutions in Sendai, i think, takes pre-orders from UC lookbooks even if you are not a 顧客 (VIP customer).

I wouldn't say you need to be a VIP to get on the pre-orders for UC (or any of the other brands that Revolution runs) but you do need to be a regular/connected. The beauty of smaller cities like Sendai though is, with a smaller market, becoming a regular/connected isn't too difficult. Even if it's just stopping in the shop once every so often and exchanging greetings or going out skating or for drinks together, the separation between staff and customer fades pretty quickly. I'm sure that's a direct relation to the population...larger cities like Fukuoka might be harder (but not impossible) to make that connection than Sendai. And of course Tokyo, with the number of buyers in the city, would require you to stand out in some other sense...most likely spending enough regularly to stand out as a VIP.

'LEGA I think is probably the only new legitimate nightclub now'

Explain this to me, because I must be missing something. I've been twice: once with friends and we spent most of a Saturday night in the KTV room at the back but when I did venture into the club is was super quiet.

Second time was for a 'Blacklist' party and that was embarassing. Lots of 40+ creepy, creepy looking guys and very few attractive people (male or female).

Have I been unlucky? Is this place often good? I think I see where they're aiming (attractive, slightly older crowd with money - R2 in club form) but it's not working.

i've made a lot of female friends through his parties but nothing really ever materialized (if you know what i mean)

the chicks you know tend to be more fun and DTF

i heard all the foreign firms are focusing on the eastern asian market and relocating resources to HK and China...

I've never really went to any of his parties so have no idea.

Although I do remember this one time we nanpa-ed some girls together waiting in line at Tsurutontan in Roppongi.

Which girls do I know that you got with? Can't recall...

Yeah, so many of my friends are getting shipped to Singapore and HKG. Heard the nightlife scene in HKG is pretty poor. One of my friends broke up w/ his gf in Tokyo thinking he'd have lots of fun in HKG but eventually ask her back since he couldn't find similarly decent girls.

'LEGA I think is probably the only new legitimate nightclub now'

Explain this to me, because I must be missing something. I've been twice: once with friends and we spent most of a Saturday night in the KTV room at the back but when I did venture into the club is was super quiet.

Second time was for a 'Blacklist' party and that was embarassing. Lots of 40+ creepy, creepy looking guys and very few attractive people (male or female).

Have I been unlucky? Is this place often good? I think I see where they're aiming (attractive, slightly older crowd with money - R2 in club form) but it's not working.

Not sure man. I never have gone to LEGA on a non-event night. The three times I have gone have all been private events through friends and have been decent. BUt again its usually with friends just for fun. Not really trying to nanpa.

Blacklist is a joke now. Used to be a decent party list back in 2007 when they used to do it at Feria/Sabaku-no-bara but now its like you said very old creepy people. Not exclusive at all since all the baller-expats have more or less left Tokyo.

Heard Penninsula is throwing some decent parties. But again, they are all private events.

Still want to get an introduction to Geihinkan and do models and bottles!

Then there is the Ibiza foam-party at the new club in Harajuku this Friday...

The most baller party ever (topped my boy's Roppongi Hills gokon-bday party earlier this year) was several weeks ago when the top MD at my firm held a going away party. He held the party at his pent-house in Roppongi Hills and his wife used to be a contestant/manager of the miss-universe Japan contest. So she basically invited all 40 miss-universe japan contestants this year and the MD invited all his bank bros.

Most epic party ever.

I've never really went to any of his parties so have no idea.

Although I do remember this one time we nanpa-ed some girls together waiting in line at Tsurutontan in Roppongi.

Which girls do I know that you got with? Can't recall...

Yeah, so many of my friends are getting shipped to Singapore and HKG. Heard the nightlife scene in HKG is pretty poor. One of my friends broke up w/ his gf in Tokyo thinking he'd have lots of fun in HKG but eventually ask her back since he couldn't find similarly decent girls.

sux. speaking of noodles, one time i totally blacked out and when i regained consciousness, i was at Ko-men and sitting next to a 1/10 shika eiseshi girl i had met earlier at my bro's nomikai . i told her i was full and ran.

I plan on trying to live in Tokyo for a whole month in about 3 or 4 years. Currently I'm just trying to save up, depending on where I stay what would be the cost of a trip like this?

Thanks Herpsky. That's what I was thinking too. Sorry if that was a dumb question, I'm gonna be in college and I just need to plan accordingly. Need to check to see if the college I'm goin to has a travel abroad program to Japan.

Thanks Herpsky. That's what I was thinking too. Sorry if that was a dumb question, I'm gonna be in college and I just need to plan accordingly. Need to check to see if the college I'm goin to has a travel abroad program to Japan.

aint gonna be that serious. it's really not that expensive. just budget out what you can afford.

I didn't realize I would stur up so much trouble with my question! Haha yea, that's my twitter.

seriously,

if you could do 2x matsuya + couch surf / camp in parks + plane tix, you can do it for like 2 grand

That would kinda be cool, live that hobo life

convinced this guy is milspex's troll account. Vintage camo and bape. Sup Milspex, still not getting laid because your japanese is way too good?

Wasn't Milspex Australian but had this weird love fetish for America and American military. Then to make it even weirder, had a strange love fetish for Japan's love affair w/ American military hence W)Taps. Then went to Hokkaido to teach English and used to hit on young high-school girls?

I actually had the privledge to witness this unusual character when walking past Shibuya crossing several years ago. Walking from the station to Center-gai I noticed this huge lanky/lumbering white dude w/ crazy hair and cargo shorts and Nike air force ones and Supreme backpack walking with a shopping bag back to the station.

It's when I knew I had witnessed a miracle. Divine divinity. Or something close to a close encounter w/ the lockness monster.

Something of urban legend that few have the privledge of witnessing.

Went to lotus in gaienmae today. Nice food and super nice espresso! Plus a babe was looking after us :)

Any recommendations for places with a similar vibe?

Also is omotesando koffee shut for good?

Edited by jackg

what about streamer's coffee house. there's a half japanese girl who works there.

the coffee is excellent, so i was told

Went to lotus in gaienmae today. Nice food and super nice espresso! Plus a babe was looking after us :)

Any recommendations for places with a similar vibe?

Also is omotesando koffee shut for good?

Haven't been to Lotus in forever -- Kurrku in Omotesando or (obv) Bowery Kitchen are similar-vibe. That bread+espresso place just north of omotesando has good spro. (But is full of tourists)

Lockness monster >> Loch Ness monster ?

@herp -- I used to go to Streamers a LOT, but mainly for the latte art skills; their stuff is definitely good but the milk they use for lattes is insanely heavy/rich to the point where it's marginally undrinkable. They had free wifis though + those awesome camo donuts.

I never really found a coffee spot as good as the stuff here in Chicago/NYC/SF but largely I feel like that's a product of the difference in "scene". I still feel like a deadbeat working at coffee shops over there.

Edited by raddy

never been to lotus. gaienmae's kinda out of my way, i guess.

i've been to EATS. NIGO's new shop is down there too.

ice coffee at Ueshima Coffee House is insane. it's a chain but it's good as hell.

I've had the OG siphoned coffee from Inoda Coffee. It's too thin / delicate for me.

I've been drinking a lot of espresso-based drinks these days.

Good barista + la marzocco + decent beans = awesome

Coffee and pizza are kinda lacking. I hated trattoria de isa in nakame. Some people swear by it but it sucked IMO.

Then again, I don't ever go to expensive ass places where lunches are 3,000+ yen unless it's a special occasion.

Their marketing strategy is working apparently lol. Going to check out streamers today thanks for the heads up!

Do you guys do onsen on the reg? Probably a highlight for me thus far l. Although i still feel like i am offending people somehow.

A few of the trendwhore standing bars I felt had pretty good pizza -- I remember going to a place near Yoyogi that I thought was really good. Buchi has pretty good pizza too. I think there's a decent pizza place next to the (pos) Junkadelic in Shoto, but maybe I'm wrong...

Last time I was at streamers, there was like a streamers promo shoot going on -- bunch of models hopping in and out of a white van with streamers decals all over it. The hype machine for streamers is pretty nuts; tons of baristas in the states recognize the tripple rosetta t-shirt I picked up there. Who wants to open a rival shop called Models & Blue Bottles?

I can never get my friends to hit onsen with me -- it used to be that a bunch had tats, but I'm not sure that's an issue anymore, now I guess it's peen related.

Edited by raddy

plus there's this weird custom of onsen ryokans not allowing solo travelers

people who come to onsen solo tend to committ suicide, apparently.

i know it makes no sense but that's what i've been told before. believe it.

also, there are onsens (non-resorts) throughout tokyo. there's one close to my house. it operates like a public bath house but it has roten buro (outdoor bath).

i have no idea if public bath houses are gaijin friendly. in fact, i've never seen a non-japanese person at local bath houses.