japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

I haven't really been keeping up with the latest fashion trend but most of those so-called small "independent" labels are in the vicinity of Harajuku Tonchandori. Vintage-remake-DIY shops that specialize in fashion-forward (read weird) like Dog are still around. I don't really know if there are such things as small, up-and-coming labels anymore.

I'd rather pay some $ to go to Shinjuku Gyoen. Yoyogi koen kinda sucks.

Speaking of Harajuku, I was kinda shocked when the first street we roamed in the district was Takeshita Dori. We thought that was 'the real Harajuku'. Relief when we crossed the street.

We did go to Shinjuku Gyoen, but the crowd were mostly senior citizens taking macro shots of flowers. I prefer Yoyogi for its vibe: music blaring, vegetarian food fest, flea market. Those people selling their stuff = broke uni students?

sometimes it's commercial, but as always, shit gets more interesting off on the periphery so koenji yes, but also naka-meguro and love the vibe of yanaka-ginza.

Nevertheless there's some great shops that are pretty central, N id, and post-party depression are a few highlights for me. All depends on your specific steeze of course.

nakameguro and yanaka are so charming, for different reasons. didn't know there is fashion to be had at yanaka ginza, i had given that place a miss.

the guys in n-id are looking pretty awesome. didn't spot many of such people on the streets though. was probably at the wrong places at the wrong time.

in hindsight, i realized i had covered much of the big names but missed out on the lesser known places. Tokyo warrants repeat visits.

if you wanna get attacked by some crazy crows, then yoyogi is where it's at.

i've been exploring the eastern side of Tokyo.

i need to try that turkish(?) joint on yanaka ginza that's always doing belly dance lessions.

i've spend the majority of my time on the western side of Yamnote-sen and don't know much about the eastern districts.

my buddy and i recently had a lunch at Imahan in Ningyocho. There's an awesome taiyaki place nearby too. we both enjoyed walking around that area.

hello tokyo based supertalkers.

position soon coming up for tokyo editor of our tokyo superguide and iphone app.

you need to know tokyo b-a-c-k-w-a-r-d-s and not only fashion-streetwear but mens+womens - street+designer + interior/food/clubs blah blah. etc.

it's a monthly gig and we PAY depending on tasks undertaken. you need to be reliable and professional.

anyone interested: then send an email editorial [at] superfuture.com for more details

not really expecting any of you to respond... but lets see.?!!

• 2 weeks later...

Golden Brown is gross, I don't even need to explain, people who've been there will understand.

Your best bet is The Great Burger, from all accounts. I have not really burg'ed too hard in Tokyo tbh, sick of hamburgers. I do want to try Whoopi Goldberger though, also around the same area.

Here's some backup research:

http://55aiai.jugem.jp/?pid=1

I've been to The Great Burger too, got a sandwich, though, but wasn't too impressed - was greasy, not the good kinda greasy. Prolly should have ordered a burger.

Baker Bounce in Sangenaya is still my fav. of where I've been, but I think I'm partial to it because I used to live there. They have a branch in Roppongi Midtown too, dunno how that is. They also have the best grilled sandwiches for me too, decent shakes.

Sasa in Daikanyama was pretty good as well, anything with avocado sliced up nicely earns points with me.

i thought The Great Burger had the best burgs, but Baker Bounce was also pretty damn good. something about slabs of meat hanging on front of me definitely added to the ambiance. it reminded me of a solid traditional diner burger (had the Roppongi Midtown one, buried down in the corner).

Cool, beers from TY too I guess?

Yup, but don't ever go there. TY seems like a novel thing i think to the Japanese but is of no use if you're an American or European. It's basically a poor attempt at a high-end brewery. Setting is nice though, it's on a pier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...