japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

Going to be in Tokyo for 24 hours..

It's my first time visiting Japan and I know it's a short time, but I want to make the most out of it. Any recs on what are some of the must-do, see things?

Depends.

Jawnz

BZs

Food

???

You should do a trip from shibuya --> omotesando --> aoyama

I'm packing for Tokyo.

My 23rd trip, it's getting old.

I can't believe i've gotten to the point where even Tokyo is getting old. It wouldn't be so bad if i was doing something other than the same exact shit on every single trip.

if you've only got 24hrs; you should go to harajuku/daikanyama/omotesando/aoyama and you should send your brother to nakano/akihabara/shibuya. then maybe meet up near the end and do some of the more touristy shit together, or just walk around shinjuku or something.

cosign

akihabara has gotten so commercialized that it drove a lot of the OG away

I haven't been to nakano broadway in ages but mandarake and other crazy stores in the building are definitely worth checking out.

if you want goth ninja

-lift (daikanayama) - lots of CCP, MA+

-isetan (shinjuku)

-barneys (shinjuku) - I've seen lots of MA+, LUC, and other small goth ninja labels

-VA (aoyama)

-julius (daikanyama)

-rick (aoyama, i think - ive never been)

-raf simons (aoyama)

estnation and restir?

i know restir had lots of rick. estnation might too but it caters to people who like more simplistic stuff e.g. margiela and dries

Being your first time there, it would probably be best to not wander too far . Shibuya would have clothing stores for you (and then also a quick walk to the Omotesando/Harajuku area for more of the sort) and a great Mandarake location for your brother. Get that stuff out of the way and see what else you have time for afterward.

I'm packing for Tokyo.

My 23rd trip, it's getting old.

I can't believe i've gotten to the point where even Tokyo is getting old. It wouldn't be so bad if i was doing something other than the same exact shit on every single trip.

bring me next time

or bring a four loko

Iamundying, I suggest you and your brother go check out the Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku when you guys are together. There's a free observatory on the 45th floor (there's two towers, and they are both open on different days so look the schedule beforehand)

but if you want a great view of tokyo for free, then I recommend you check it out. It's about a 10-minute walk from Shinjuku station's west exit, and I'd say it only takes ~45 minutes to do the whole thing, unless there are some unusually long lines. But all the times I've been there, there's been only a few minutes wait (at most) to get into the ear-popping elevator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metropolitan_Government_Building

Rin Tanaka is having an opening at the Beams B Gallery saturday night, check it:

http://www.beams.co.jp/b-gallery/my-freedamn-rin-studios-at-b-gallery.html

I'll be there with dudes from the denim brands.

best ramen in Tokyo? Though I could eat the stuff everyday, I try not to since I'm having trouble as it is fitting into cluthing over here, so since I'm not eating it too often I'd like to spend those times on the good stuff. Lately I've been feeling Koumen's tonkotsu and Hokkaido-style miso. Any particular shop(s) that stand out from the rest? Good gyoza is always a plus.

^while I'm not too good with spicy food, though I enjoy having it from time to time. Very hot? Looks good, will make a mental note. Don't often go over there but I might make a iidabashi+kagurazaka trip out of it.

insomnia: thanks man. will make a stop at shindaita some time soon. Apparently there's some other place there called なんでんかんでん that looks decent too.

^while I'm not too good with spicy food, though I enjoy having it from time to time. Very hot? Looks good, will make a mental note. Don't often go over there but I might make a iidabashi+kagurazaka trip out of it.
It gets preeeetty damn spicy. It is in Itabashi, not Iidabashi (I had the two mixed up for a while when living in Kagurazaka.) Out near Nerima. It is a chain, though, with various other locations.

Curry and soba are my preferences.

Cafe Haiti (Shinjuku), Momo Curry (Kichijoji), Ganesha Curry (Kichijoji -- run by members of the band Suishou no Fune), and probably a bunch of others I am forgetting. The shop Pakumori Curry opened a location in Seoul which was nice, but I haven't tried it in Japan. A good friend of mine is a rather hardcore curry fan, eating and documenting it daily, so I usually follow his lead.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/whats_new/2010/1112_02_c01.pdf

From Japan Post, air mail shipments from Japan to USA weighing over 453 grams are halted indefinitely to prevent terrorist attacks.

You got to be kidding me.

Better Kuroneko your purchases back home.

wait whaaat?! Is this only for Japan Post? Because I just ordered something to be shipped to the states via EMS, and it weighs more than a kilogram. Hopefully this won't throw a monkey wrench into my plans...

edit: ok so I guess this only applies to individuals shipping things. I ordered my stuff from a business, which has a commercial shipping account with Japan Post, and is exempt from the new ban. Still crazy though...

2nd edit: I found an interesting article. "Man Arrested for Anime Pillow Case Piracy"

http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/11/19/man-arrested-for-anime-pillow-case-piracy/

lol... buyer beware, that pillow you've been having sex with -- it may be counterfeit.

Pakumori is one of my favorites. I heard Tokyo Curry Lab closed, anything similar?

There's a bunch of good curry joints in Jinbocho e.g. manten.

I've been into Pikinoo in Komazawa Daigaku. Thai curry though.

ruach has the north western tokyo on lock.

i'm more interested in the south west corner of yamanote line.

i just don't have any good reasons to go to the kichijyoji area.

any good ideas for chistmas eve? i was thinking of going to yokohama. the whole omotesando / roppongi hills shit is getting hella old.

plus the idea of having a mediocre meal at a semi-fancy restaurant sounds pretty stupid but girls love romantic shit.

this year's christmas events b off the hook b/c

23rd = national holiday

24th = Friday

25th = saturday

i guess the ideal plan is to totally go raging on the 22nd

hang out and rest on the 23rd

BZ on 24th

BZ on 25th