japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

on 1/1 only . almost every where in tokyo is closed ... even most of the izakaya's in kabukicho is closed ...

btw , are there any place that sells "nice" gyudon except yoshinoya , sukiya and matsuya ?

http://bit.ly/aA9RnX

Gyudon sambo in akiharabara is pretty good.

I hear Imahan in asakusa is pretty good but I've only had their bento before.

Leave for Tokyo on the 30th of June and will be there till the 12th of July. Cannot wait. Anyone else going to be there around then?

ill be there

most likely bored as fuck during the day

ill be there

most likely bored as fuck during the day

Will have to hit you up when I'm there - I'm a Tokyo virgin so really have no clue. Speaking of, how strict are they with the drinking age here? I'm 21 so I have nothing to worry about, but my girlfriend is coming with us and she's only 18. Will she have troubles?

Will have to hit you up when I'm there - I'm a Tokyo virgin so really have no clue. Speaking of, how strict are they with the drinking age here? I'm 21 so I have nothing to worry about, but my girlfriend is coming with us and she's only 18. Will she have troubles?

Doesn't even have to be a photo ID.

Some du used his japanese government issued insurance card and worked great.

Even without IDs, I've been able to get <20 girls into clubs.

eg) that superfamous fashun blogger who has lots of shuz

Really cool video. Found it on some blog. makes me wanna get a 5D MKII (used to shoot this vid). too bad it's two grand.

http://vimeo.com/12112529

Hayaku: A time lapse journey through Japan.

Japan is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. This is my Japan. This is one of the many reasons why I love Japan. I shot this in many locations around Japan in the summer of 2009. Some of the location include Tokyo, Matsuyama, Imabari, Nagano, Gifu, and Ishizushisan.

I started this as a personal project to try and capture the beauty that I see in Japan. It started as just that...

But now that I have finished, I see it only as a beginning. This video, along with SAIJO MATSURI (www.vimeo.com/7458088) is just the start of a much larger project that I have now decided to do.

So I hope you enjoy this preview of what is to come in the future.

"Hayaku" definition: Hurry up

Camera: Canon 5DMKII

Additional equipment: Mumford Moco

Music:

Royksopp - Triumphant

The Album Leaf - Window

Really cool video. Found it on some blog. makes me wanna get a 5D MKII (used to shoot this vid). too bad it's two grand.

http://vimeo.com/12112529

Hayaku: A time lapse journey through Japan.

Japan is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. This is my Japan. This is one of the many reasons why I love Japan. I shot this in many locations around Japan in the summer of 2009. Some of the location include Tokyo, Matsuyama, Imabari, Nagano, Gifu, and Ishizushisan.

I started this as a personal project to try and capture the beauty that I see in Japan. It started as just that...

But now that I have finished, I see it only as a beginning. This video, along with SAIJO MATSURI (www.vimeo.com/7458088) is just the start of a much larger project that I have now decided to do.

So I hope you enjoy this preview of what is to come in the future.

"Hayaku" definition: Hurry up

Camera: Canon 5DMKII

Additional equipment: Mumford Moco

Music:

Royksopp - Triumphant

The Album Leaf - Window

Sweet vid! The 5DMKII is definitely a sick camera, but in terms of video quality, the new Canon T2i/550D is just as good. I just copped it for $899 with the kit lens and am loving it so far.

I'm still an amateur (as you'll see), but here's the first video I shot with it:

http://www.vimeo.com/11096005

I'm starting to realize that kit lenses, in general, suck.

I've seen great photos taken with low-end DSLRs like D40. Hmmmm.

I'm starting to realize that kit lenses, in general, suck.

I've seen great photos taken with low-end DSLRs like D40. Hmmmm.

While it's true that kit lenses aren't the greatest, I still think they're worth getting if you're new to SLR photography. Reason being, it's a pretty low-cost zoom lens, and nice to have in your collection. I also purchased a 50mm f/1.8 lens for just $100. It's Canon's best value by far...just about everyone SLR shooter has this one in their collection.

I just wish I had this camera when I was in Japan in March...:mad:

While it's true that kit lenses aren't the greatest, I still think they're worth getting if you're new to SLR photography. Reason being, it's a pretty low-cost zoom lens, and nice to have in your collection. I also purchased a 50mm f/1.8 lens for just $100. It's Canon's best value by far...just about everyone SLR shooter has this one in their collection.

I just wish I had this camera when I was in Japan in March...:mad:

with auto focus? geez

nikon lenses are fucking expensive compared to canon ones

Herp: The Nikon 18-55mm kit lens is very sharp when stopped down.

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is cheap and it shows. Feels like a toy and is soft wide open with distracting bokeh. The effective focal length is awkward on crop bodies as a general purpose lens, although it is nice enough for portraits. Can't really complain for the price though.

Grab a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G. Sharp, fast and compact. Awesome value.

^ they don't give a shit at bars or restaurants. only place they may care is at the door at clubs.

if she brings a fake i.d. though that shouldn't be a problem either.

its ok going to clubs below 20 if your a gaijin .

my friends under 20 tried entering with gaijin cards and got in every time . even at big clubs .

of course its better to play safe with a fake id

^ Yeah, i think I'll get her to bring her older sister's ID just to be sure. Sounds like they wouldn't really scrutinize it so that should be fine, yeah? She's definitely gaijin too.

I'm half-jap, but I went with two white females last year, and none of us were ever carded (we were of-age anyway, but I digress). Went to a concert at Ageha, bought chuhai at convenience stores, cigarettes, whatever. No need to worry, unless your friend has a baby face

edit: I should also point out that it's legal and socially acceptable to drink in public; no need to cover up your beverage. Although I don't know if it's bad manners to walk down the street with a drink in hand, like how it is with smoking a cigarette or eating food... could anybody clear that up for us?

Herp: The Nikon 18-55mm kit lens is very sharp when stopped down.

The Canon 50mm f/1.8 is cheap and it shows. Feels like a toy and is soft wide open with distracting bokeh. The effective focal length is awkward on crop bodies as a general purpose lens, although it is nice enough for portraits. Can't really complain for the price though.

Grab a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G. Sharp, fast and compact. Awesome value.

dunno bout nikon, but the canon kit lense 18-55 is trash.

I have one I barely use, no molding whatsoever. The AF died down on me for no reason. I never even drop the mofo. Not even once.

I'm half-jap, but I went with two white females last year, and none of us were ever carded (we were of-age anyway, but I digress). Went to a concert at Ageha, bought chuhai at convenience stores, cigarettes, whatever. No need to worry, unless your friend has a baby face

edit: I should also point out that it's legal and socially acceptable to drink in public; no need to cover up your beverage. Although I don't know if it's bad manners to walk down the street with a drink in hand, like how it is with smoking a cigarette or eating food... could anybody clear that up for us?

its perfectly fine . i seen j-guys buying beers from konbini in the afternoon and drinking on the street . well most gaijin guys drink on the streets though . its only if you care .....

its perfectly fine . i seen j-guys buying beers from konbini in the afternoon and drinking on the street . well most gaijin guys drink on the streets though . its only if you care .....

let's just reiterate

The only place that cards in the Japland = Clubs

So, I'm going to Tokyo for 10 days in a month.

Staying in Toshima-ku (near Senkawa, so pretty close to Ikebukuro)

Will mostly be wandering around by myself the vast majority of the time.

Speak (and certainly read) no Japanese.

Interested in food, art, beer, coffee/tea, shops (kitchen knives, jeans, book stores that might have some interesting shit in english, whatever really).

Will be looking to keep things as cheap as possible, basically...kind of a short notice trip, so money will be tight. Also, the exchange rate blows.

Tell me what to do, superfuture.

So, I'm going to Tokyo for 10 days in a month.

Staying in Toshima-ku (near Senkawa, so pretty close to Ikebukuro)

you can take the yurakucho line to omotesando / shibuya

it's time to holler at those fine beezies from the Saitama Empire!!!!

you can take the yurakucho line to omotesando / shibuya

it's time to holler at those fine beezies from the Saitama Empire!!!!

yeah, I assume I won't be spending much time in toshima really...doesn't seem to be a whole lot around there.

my main concern is actually finding the things I want to see. The whole lack-of-street names thing seems like it will take some getting used to.

What's the free wifi situation like in tokyo? I'd love to be able to use my phone to access google maps/addresses/whatever, but paying for an international data plan isn't going to happen.

I'm pretty excited about this trip...just kind of randomly came together over the past couple of days, so I'm scrambling to sort shit out.

yeah, I assume I won't be spending much time in toshima really...doesn't seem to be a whole lot around there.

my main concern is actually finding the things I want to see. The whole lack-of-street names thing seems like it will take some getting used to.

What's the free wifi situation like in tokyo? I'd love to be able to use my phone to access google maps/addresses/whatever, but paying for an international data plan isn't going to happen.

I'm pretty excited about this trip...just kind of randomly came together over the past couple of days, so I'm scrambling to sort shit out.

I bought a very very detailed dual language map of Tokyo before my 2-week trip there, but honestly I didn't use it much at all.

What I did use was my iPhone. Relying on finding an open wifi network is frustrating, and I could never find one when I needed it, so I just ended up get some data on my iPhone. I would get like 20MB at a time and would only use it for Google Maps (don't waste data on Safari, email, any other apps). The iPhone was really useful for find subway stations, stores, and which direction I was walking with using the compass.

It wasn't really that expensive either. I think 20MB lasted me almost a week and cost $30 or so (don't quote me on the price, I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't too bad at all). My iPhone is locked with AT&T, so I'm not sure if international data rates are more with other carriers.

EDIT: Here's a link from AT&T's website. Spending $59.99 on 50 MB of data might be the best value you get for spending only $60 in Japan. If you only use maps, the 50MB should last you your entire trip. I always used to check for wifi before launching maps, just in case I could avoid using data. I'd say I found an unlocked wifi network about 5% of the time, so it's worth checking first.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp

• Consider Purchasing an International Data Package: If you are traveling outside the U.S., purchasing a Data Global Plan will significantly reduce the cost of using data abroad.
    To add an international data package call 1-800-331-0500.
    • $24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    • $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within more than 90 countries

^wifi isn't easy to come by. you may end up having to use a manga cafe if you really need to check something while you're out and about.

Apple stores - always free. duh.

AU concept shop near forever 21 in harajuku - computers with free internets

can't really think of others

unlocked iphones can use the J-COM prepaid data SIMs

or get a portable wifi router from them

Currently reading

http://tokyodeep.info/