japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

I think that kuroge-wagyu is just like kobe beef -

Super hyped and considered good by those who just don't know better.

I'll check out Kiya's recommendation. I stumbled into a Zat's Burger Cafe last summer by accident, and I was pretty impressed. I'm no meat connoisseur, so I couldn't tell the difference between the various grades of upmarket japanese beef... I just want a bomb-ass cheeseburger

i leave for tokyo on weds..staying at sunroute plaza shinjuku.

any recommendations for some decent ramen/yakitori?

This might be the best recommendation I've given anyone about Tokyo.

If you're looking for Yakitori, you HAVE to go to Fuku. Quite possibly the best value in Tokyo. It's away from the hustle and bustle, but still really close to Shibuya (near the Yoyogi-Uehara train stop). The building is unmarked from the outside, but just look at the map and ask around when you're close if you can't find it.

I think we ended up spending not even $30 a person and left stuffed (I actually ended up going again on my last night in Tokyo).

Note: They are closed on Wednesdays. It's also a pretty small restaurant, so you might want to have your hotel concierge call ahead for a reservation.

Here's a link: http://www.bento.com/rev/2420.html

90 JPY = 1 USD

oh shit

whaaaat. no! it was 94 yen just last week. Looks like it's been slowly climbing back to 92 in the past 8 hours. Any speculation as to why the drop-off was so steep?

I would be a happy man if it was even, say, 98 by the summertime. USD sucks donkey balls lately

oh, and Chi, thanks for the tip. I'm adding your recommendation to my food list. Although... why do you mention it? Just because of the good value, or is the food something special? Cause in Koenji there's a handful of affordable yakitori places within walking distance of me, and it's kinda hard to fuck up chicken meat and quail eggs

EDIT: nvm, found out this morning that the dow jones lost like 1,000 points yesterday, which correlates with the precipitous drop and sudden rise in currency value

whaaaat. no! it was 94 yen just last week. Looks like it's been slowly climbing back to 92 in the past 8 hours. Any speculation as to why the drop-off was so steep?

I would be a happy man if it was even, say, 98 by the summertime. USD sucks donkey balls lately

oh, and Chi, thanks for the tip. I'm adding your recommendation to my food list. Although... why do you mention it? Just because of the good value, or is the food something special? Cause in Koenji there's a handful of affordable yakitori places within walking distance of me, and it's kinda hard to fuck up chicken meat and quail eggs

I had yakitori and plenty of other places, and Fuku was BY FAR the best. I, too, thought it was hard to mess up grilled chicken, but this stuff is out of this world. I never knew chicken could taste that good. Don't want to hype it more than I already have, but definitely check it out and report back...

Guest Air:David

I plan on visiting Tokyo sometime this summer and I was wondering where the best sneaker stores are. If anyone knows any, please share.

I am like 18th generation. They still won't serve me? Aw shucks...

if you look asian and speak insanely good japanese, ill tell you where you can get head from a bunch of decent looking girls (not at the same time. always a hanabira-kaiten concept) for 3000 yen.

if you look asian and speak insanely good japanese, ill tell you where you can get head from a bunch of decent looking girls (not at the same time. always a hanabira-kaiten concept) for 3000 yen.

Do I have to wake up super early in the morning or have to go like right before supper time?

But, ayo hit me up with that $32 bj joint. That shit is like how much I pay for my tp. If shit b that cheap, your boy goin make it rain yen, knowatimsayin? Japaneee blow jobs (from a bunch of decent looking girls) 4 all my homies.

Do I have to wake up super early in the morning or have to go like right before supper time?

But, ayo hit me up with that $32 bj joint. That shit is like how much I pay for my tp. If shit b that cheap, your boy goin make it rain yen, knowatimsayin? Japaneee blow jobs (from a bunch of decent looking girls) 4 all my homies.

PM'd

10char

hey herpsky, need some help.

will be over at tokyo from the 31st May with my gf. Will be staying at shinjuku, but interested in checking out the love hotels. I read somewhere that those in tokyo are considered 'tame' compared to those in osaka, in the regards that the tokyo ones seldom have 'themed' rooms, mostly just decorated hallways, but standard hotel rooms. How accurate is that? Looking to check out those themed rooms. :D

Any recommendations/info or areas? I know of the Love hotel hill, and kabukicho.

Thanks in advance!!

there's a list of love hotels

happyhotel.jp

i've never been but i've heard people say バリアン is one of the best in the tokyo area. bali-island themed hotel.

It's kinda hard to explain but I know a really next-level keitai website

it basically lets you do a hotel search based on your GPS coordinate.

make a very last minute reservation (as late as 15 mins before the check-in time). best of all, all the rates are 70%+ off of the rack rates.

really great when you are on a date, picked up a beezie at a club, or whatever

but you gotta have a japanese phone (i don't think it works on the iphone)

PM if interested

Suzuran Ramen in Shibuya is my fav

suzuran.jpg

Oddly enough i've spent a lot of time in Tokyo and tried all the "top" ramen shops (as stated by random internet searches) and my favorite is also Suzuran.

The most popular / renowned joints right now ALL serve tsuke-men (dipping sauce ramen - I just don't know how else I can describe it).

In addition, the current trend is the use of bonito / seafood as the key ingredient in broth (i actually hate this).

Yeah, tsuke-men definitely seems to be popping up more and more, for me it's not ramen at all but it's the only way my wife likes her ramen.

Also, +1 on the hate for seafood based broths. Went to this one spot that took me seriously about two hours to find only to find out when i sat down that all their ramen is seafood based.

Hi guys, where can I find canned bread in japan? I wanna buy some just for the kicks.

most groceries stores carry it

just ask for "canpan"

usually it's in the emergency food (?) isle

wheres rajio and matsu anyways :confused:

shit, sufu kinda sucks without em around..

DJ rajio is super ballin

more so than ever

that's all i know

i need to explore the shitamachi area more

there's a lot of new / cool stuff popping up

Jesse / ESOW opened up a new shop in Ueno.

http://ameblo.jp/sosh/entry-10545612526.html

http://dopedyouth.blogspot.com/2010/05/5hours.html

thanks for that. ESOW and camp are doing interesting things. what else is poppin in shitamachi?

Huge blocks, JAN, and etc

Bookstores in Kanda.

Good food in asakusa. Need to grab the beef liver bowls...

thinking about going to tokyo from dec 28 to jan 5....i've read that a ton of stuff is closed for a few days around new years. bad idea?

on 1/1 only . almost every where in tokyo is closed ... even most of the izakaya's in kabukicho is closed ...

btw , are there any place that sells "nice" gyudon except yoshinoya , sukiya and matsuya ?