japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

splurging for yakitori and tempura udon is a big lul

when my boys and i super ball out for yakitori, we always end up spending like 2000 yen

that's like after three draft and a shit load of food

the only thing is we always go to those hole-in-the-wall-beneath-the-train-track sort of joints

populated by drunken salary man and old dus.

i've never seen any tempura udon > 1000 yen... you must be going to some crazy joints in teikoku hotel or some shit

you want cluthingz that much? damn

make sure you don't spend money on uniqlo and shit

THINK HARD about the resale values

Thanks for all the answers on the suit thing. Once I put back on 3-4 more kilos I'll pick one up. Anyone know any places that carry a lot of Oliver Peoples frames, I'm trying to find either those NDG collabo frames or the ones posted below (sort of the same thing) but no one really seems to carry them. The widest selection I could find was like 3 pairs at Isetan Shinjuku (and Isetan is even more of a rip-off than the rest of Japan). http://paulsmith.oliverpeoples.com/spectacles/pirroni.html#

Why do you say that Isetan is more of a rip-off than the rest of the Japland?

They sell everything at retail. They never mark anything up. Great store. They take AMEX with no fees.

The 8th floor has an amazing selection of non-fashun jawns e.g. cameras, candles, and etc

Apparently, hankyu osaka is some next level shit (quadrophenia, tom ford, blah blah) but i havent had a chance to check it out

International Gallery Beams have always had a good selection of NDG. I would start there first. They have a glass case with BALLA STATUS sunglasses and I have a strong feeling that theyll be in there.

American Rag Cie might have NDG. Also, try opening ceremony / seibu movida.

As far as other stockists go

Eliminator used to have some NDG but I think they are pushing kim jones, kitsune, pierre hardy and dropped it. NESW went out of business.

Are you from the states? Those sunglasses aren't even that hard to find in the US.

Record in Nakameguro might have some NDG.

That store is worth checking out anyway though.

Filmelange, JLS, vintage stuff, haversack, geller and all sorts of other crazy shit.

Thanks for all the answers on the suit thing. Once I put back on 3-4 more kilos I'll pick one up. Anyone know any places that carry a lot of Oliver Peoples frames, I'm trying to find either those NDG collabo frames or the ones posted below (sort of the same thing) but no one really seems to carry them. The widest selection I could find was like 3 pairs at Isetan Shinjuku (and Isetan is even more of a rip-off than the rest of Japan). http://paulsmith.oliverpeoples.com/spectacles/pirroni.html#

Eyevan in Midtown and Ao Aoyama.

Or you could just to the Oliver Peoples store in Aoyama (duh).

NESW went out of business a few months ago.

The selection was pretty much the same with 7 in daikanyama.

For some reason, the "america through the eyes of europeans" concept ala odin doesn't do very well in japan.

One of the main reasons for the neo-ame-tra (new american trad) e.g. BoO, Thom Browne, Steven Alan failed was that ame-tra being pretty similar to ojisan-weekend steez. If not done correctly, you will end up looking like your dad. Hence the trend shifted towards "rugged / work / street" style.

Why do you say that Isetan is more of a rip-off than the rest of the Japland?

They sell everything at retail. They never mark anything up. Great store. They take AMEX with no fees.

The 8th floor has an amazing selection of non-fashun jawns e.g. cameras, candles, and etc

Apparently, hankyu osaka is some next level shit (quadrophenia, tom ford, blah blah) but i havent had a chance to check it out

International Gallery Beams have always had a good selection of NDG. I would start there first. They have a glass case with BALLA STATUS sunglasses and I have a strong feeling that theyll be in there.

American Rag Cie might have NDG. Also, try opening ceremony / seibu movida.

As far as other stockists go

Eliminator used to have some NDG but I think they are pushing kim jones, kitsune, pierre hardy and dropped it. NESW went out of business.

Are you from the states? Those sunglasses aren't even that hard to find in the US.

Damn you guys know everything. I'll check again at Beams but last time I went their the SA's hemmed and hawed a lot and would only concede that they had maybe heard of NDG but didn't stock it (I speak passable J-go so it wasn't a communication thing). - You mean the Beams where there's a series of them in Harajuku down the main street from Laforet right?-

On the prices thing you may be right but just from a random sampling of small things (ray bans being more than double the US price and over normal retail at other stores, a pair of Alden's being over 1k US etc.) I just assumed they were gouging the rich cats who come in. In general with shopping in Japan I've found in a lot of cases even with shipping its cheaper to have my family get it for me in the states (got Clarks for $70 in the US vs ~$200 in Tokyo)

I'll check out all the shops you guys listed though, thanks.

For some reason, the "america through the eyes of europeans" concept ala odin doesn't do very well in japan.

One of the main reasons for the neo-ame-tra (new american trad) e.g. BoO, Thom Browne, Steven Alan failed was that ame-tra being pretty similar to ojisan-weekend steez. If not done correctly, you will end up looking like your dad. Hence the trend shifted towards "rugged / work / street" style.

I can see where you are coming from with this.

This is why I think Opening Ceremony is gonna fail big time here in Japland.

-

On the prices thing you may be right but just from a random sampling of small things (ray bans being more than double the US price and over normal retail at other stores, a pair of Alden's being over 1k US etc.) I just assumed they were gouging the rich cats who come in. In general with shopping in Japan I've found in a lot of cases even with shipping its cheaper to have my family get it for me in the states (got Clarks for $70 in the US vs ~$200 in Tokyo)

I'll check out all the shops you guys listed though, thanks.

You just figuring out Japan Retail is Higher than US Retail for non Japanese brands?

Regular clarks isn't even expensive in Japan. I bet they were Clarks Originals or some sort of balla status limited edition jawnz.

Alden shoes at select shops like beams and UA. 99% of the time they are collabos.

I have a pair of Ben Davis work pants from Bench at the Greene.

The retail was like 18900 yen. Fucking ridiculous, I know. I scooped them up for like 6900 yen on sale. Collabos are fucking expensive in general.

More read :

http://www.businessoffashion.com/2008/08/no-ametora-why-the-neo-trad-trend-failed-to-catch-on-in-japan.html

I can see where you are coming from with this.

This is why I think Opening Ceremony is gonna fail big time here in Japland.

Sure though the observation about the neo america trend failing to catch up in japan still makes sense to you, as a good reason for a business to fail today in jp

It's all about the cheap chic or whatever it's called.

The ever-growing popularity of high-fashion label "collabo" free gifts that come with magazines is one example, I suppose.

Also eco-bags. I'm just gonna buy a bunch of cheap ass eco shopping bags and slap some high fashion label. I will make like 1000k in like 2 days.

I think Marc Jacobs has made a fortune with his "logo on 1 dollar jawnz" business. if someone does similar business, itll be pretty successful.

whenever i walk by the MJ store on bleecker st, there's a ginormous crowd / lines of CWGs and tourists there. spending hundreds of dollars on the MJ logo products...

But if they expect to sell even that, they have to at least get customers in the shop. The way the store is set up is pretty much unshoppable.. I tried going in and just wanted to leave after five minutes. I did my best to explore inside only so I could know I tried and will now never need to return again.

There was a good article in WWD Japan edition about Forever 21 and how well they are doing here. Kitson just opened in front of LaForet a few weeks(?) ago as well. It's the hottest thing in Japan right now to cop things at a bargain.

shimamura of course?

Hey Herpsky,

Im in Tokyo now for 4 days. Where is this Shimamura you speak of? I am soooo upset. I am a US size 40, with a bigger build. I really wanted to kop some Indiviadual Scentiment and WJK...but those are uber tight on me :(. Saw a bunch of cool clothes in Ragtag, but the same problem. You know of any good places for a bigger boy? Well bigger relative to the Japanese?

I am seeking used/last seasons designer designer clothing like Julius and Attachment.

Thanks

Hey Herpsky,

Im in Tokyo now for 4 days. Where is this Shimamura you speak of? I am soooo upset. I am a US size 40, with a bigger build. I really wanted to kop some Indiviadual Scentiment and WJK...but those are uber tight on me :(. Saw a bunch of cool clothes in Ragtag, but the same problem. You know of any good places for a bigger boy? Well bigger relative to the Japanese?

I am seeking used/last seasons designer designer clothing like Julius and Attachment.

Thanks

I was kidding about shimamura. it's worse than jeans mate or unqlo. like 50x worse.

10 corso como tends to carry big sizes. ballas who spend mad moniez there b fatties.

barneys shinjuku has good sizes.

i b size 48 but i started doing weights and M is getting tight around the shoulders. FML

I really wanted to kop some Indiviadual Scentiment and WJK...but those are uber tight on me :(. s

Check out Jun Hashimoto (original wjk guy)'s new line. His shop is near Julius. Sizes go much larger than wjk and, while wjk is now made in a much cheaper factory, his new line is using the same one that wjk (and a handful of other high quality brands) use.