the hippest city in the world

horsetears

i'm surprised no one even mentioned san francisco or berkeley. goddamn, that's motherfuckin' hippie central. i feel the hippy phenomenon is an american invention, and so the most hippy city would have to be located in the u.s., although other cities may exhibit more "hippy" characteristics...thoughts?

i'm surprised no one even mentioned san francisco or berkeley. goddamn, that's motherfuckin' hippie central. i feel the hippy phenomenon is an american invention, and so the most hippy city would have to be located in the u.s., although other cities may exhibit more "hippy" characteristics...thoughts?

i honestly can't tell if this was a tongue-in-cheek response, but in case you were being literal, the difference between hip and hippie is like night and fucking day. or like the difference between '94 phish and '98 phish.

fuck me i read that wrong. it's 2:30 here cut me some slack. fuckin' hell i can't believe i read that wrong.

either way, i'll agree with booradley and say there is no clear winner. once you reach the status of stockhold, london, tokyo, or paris, there's no "hipper" city. i guess it's like monks reaching enlightenment. they all reach it, but one is not more enlightened than the other...if that made any sense.

fuck...hippies...

Cleveland, OH

Look, "We'd all like to flee to 'The Cleve." but unfortunately that's not possible for all of us.

I see your San Fran and I raise you Saratoga Springs, NY.

I thought Bangkok was surprisingly hip.

After all, part of hipness is obscurity right? New York/London/Tokyo are kinda the obvious answers.... Bangkok had kind of a "next-big-thing" bubbling-under vibe, like all those Asiaphile Evisu and manga freaks were about to washed away any minute by a tsunami of Thai coolness, but no-one saw it coming yet...

On a tangentially connected note: Ive never been to NY, but Id love to. Im sure its awesome. But Im waaaay over this New Yorker inferiority complex . I met some dudes in Bangkok who were like "its great here. I mean its no NY, but its great..."

Asses.

You get so many New Yorkers (or wannabe new Yorkers) who assume that NY is automatically the greatest /cool/most fashion-forward place on the planet. It may be one of them...but you know, coolness does happen outside the five boroughs.

I find that New Yorkers, ironically for a people who base their claim to fame on being so cosmopolitan, can be really, well, provincial at times.

Im sure New York`s nightlife is amazing . So is London`s.

manhattan must be really vibrant. Hong Kong can probably neat it.

Is it really as beautiful as Paris?

Are the beaches anywhere near Sydney, Capetown or Rio?

Does it have a Colliseum or a Haghia Sophia?

You see what I mean? Its a great city, but its not the only city. Deal with it.

i read an article in the New York Times Sunday Styles section a few years ago about how a new Au Bon Pain had opened up in Bangkok, and it was suddenly the hotspot for avant garde fashion designers and what not. if that's not hip, i don't know what is.

how about berlin? i know it's not necessarily "obscure," but it isn't one of the obvious big four (new york, london, paris, tokyo). on the edge in terms of art, fashion, and design, great nightlife, and it's still cheap to live there, which really helps foster the creative scene.

i've never been to stockholm, but it has been mentioned here a number of times. anyone willing to give a little more explanation as to its hipness?

SF was rated the number one city for singles.. I mean the nightlife here is not bad at all. Pretty chill actually.

Seoul on the other hand... Nightlife is GREAT, but most people there dress realllyyyy badddd lol.

Well... If koreans in Seoul are anything like the koreans here then I doubt the nightlife will be GREAT if your NOT korean (or maybe atleast chinese).

I think the hippest city should be cool for anybody to go to whether your eyes are slanty or your skin is dark as the street.

By the way I heard Seoul has a buttload of Nigerians that live there illegally is that true?

Its true about the Nigerians in Seoul. They are just about the coolest thing in the city. If you go into Itaewon on a Sunday (the only day most of them get off) and go to the little alley right behind the Burger King...BAM! You're in Africa. Seriously. I think most of them are Nigerians, with some Ghanaians and maybe Congolese too. They all walk around in flowing robes and talking African languages and stuff. There are some African bars around as well.

I think some are illegal, but others are legal and hella- exploited. After the boom of the 90s Korean factories couldnt find people to take the dirtiest, most dangerous jobs, and that was why the Africans were brought in.

I dated a Ghanaian dude in Seoul and his body was covered in scars and burns from industrial accidents. Nasty.

I like Seoul but I wouldnt call it a hip city by any strectch of the imagination. Its very provinvial feeling, and closed off from the outside world. Other than Itaewon - which is truly one of the most amazing neighborhoods in the world - I wouldnt call it cosmopolitan at all. And as for the nightlife...I dont know. There are some pretty cool gay clubs but the straight ones seem to be either expensive and waaaaay cheesy, or dives. NOt really my area of expertise though, maybe I missed the good ones. The only area you could call "hipster" is Hongdae and it hardly compares with the major style capitals. I like it, but its pretty lowkey....

There are plenty of cool things about Seoul - dirt-cheap, disposable fashions at Dongdaemun, shopping at midnight, the vibe in Itaewon, fun people, great food - but I wouldnt go there for a "style" destination

bahaha. everyone has such a green, hippy image of saratoga that just isn't true. downtown is surrounded by suburbs and developments, and there are quite a few old money families.

The free sulfur-sniffing in that one park definitely makes it a lot hipper than the rest of Upstate NY though, no?