WHAT DO YOU DO FOR ALIVING?

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Quote:

I'm a worthless political science major with no skills to speak of. Give me a job please. Thanks.

--- Original message by minya on Feb 12, 2006 11:54 PM

noone wants you, hippie!

Fun: Web 2.0 layout/tech consultant

Bills: Editor In Chief of a large video game competition website, assistant design chair as well. I get paid and flown around the world to watch people play counterstrike and halo. Yes, really.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Quote:

I'm a worthless political science major with no skills to speak of. Give me a job please. Thanks.

--- Original message by minya on Feb 12, 2006 11:54 PM

noone wants you, hippie!

Fun: Web 2.0 layout/tech consultant

Bills: Editor In Chief of a large video game competition website, assistant design chair as well. I get paid and flown around the world to watch people play counterstrike and halo. Yes, really.

--- Original message by verb on Feb 13, 2006 07:31 AM

whats the website... im interested in playing in some halo 2 tournaments.

team snipers ohhh yea

Quote: Yep, you can go straight. And no, this is the best choice for me. I've already interned for the top companies and NYC, and now its time for me to start my own company, and getting a strong network with the MBA would enable me a plethora of resources. That being said, its extremely difficult to get in straight from undergrad. Maybe 1 or 2 students get in at the top schools per year. I have a high gpa from an Ivy league school in engineering (3.8), 770 GMAT, and stellar recommendations.

If you're thinking about applying straight, PM me with any questions.

And about the job market - I've gotten offers this year from exclusive hedge funds and PE firms that don't even hire from MBA programs. So frankly, I'm not worried about getting a job in case my entrepreneurial ideas don't pan out.

Definitely sounds like you've got it worked out, but one of the biggest hurdles is definitely getting an MBA worth a damn, because you are right about them accepting 1 or 2 students straight out of the undergrad program, but most often they don't accept any at all.......unless your pops is a Senator or you give great head..........

Business Analyst for an investment bank/securities firm...

and co-sign on the suggestion of getting work experience before doing your MBA.

I did my undergrad in business where my classes were exactly the same as the MBA classes (a couple years before I enrolled, the classes were actually mixed b/ween undergrads and MBAs) and having a knowledge of how things actually happen in the business environment makes such a difference in your understanding of the cases you do.

And also, when you graduate from b-school and are going through recruiting, you're basically selling yourself on your past experience because everyone you're competing with has the same degree as you. If you don't have some work experience worth selling, then it's going to be more difficult for you compared to someone who does (that's a general statement, btw )

my $0.02

Postdoc in Atmospheric Sciences. During graduate (gradual) school, used my spare time to do personal styling, be an assistant buyer (though if I ever want to enter retail, I can't use that on my resume, because the buyer was an ex, and we didn't part amicably). These days, my hobby is finding and repping independent designers. Definitely for the love though, because it's a full time job to make it pay. Some other postdocs and grad students have more lucrative hobbies, like playing high stakes poker or Blackjack (I went to Caltech, and know a bunch of people here at Harvard and at MIT that do this type of thing for pocket money.) My memory is not good enough to count in blackjack without giving myself away, so I couldn't do that anyway, and I'm not that good at Poker, so I'm stuck with this hobby.

Quote:

aah verb, you're the cpl employee !

That sounds like a dreamjob, who did you roll in such a thing ?

Never knew they hired people with fashion taste

--- Original message by Tob on Feb 13, 2006 11:08 AM

I actually stopped working for the CPL after this summer over some disputes but I just recently signed on with Amped News (http://www.ampedesports.com/) as Editor In Chief. They were a faltering news network with poor writers but a great upper management and set of business assets and we're announcing biiiiiiig things soon! (as well as a fucking redesign which we just completed that should be launched march 1st)

As for how I got the job.. It's a long story. I competed professionally for about six years and dabbled in writing the entire time, while pursuing design in my spare time. I ran eSports.com for a while under the swedish network MGON before they went under, then wrote for Gotfrag for a bit, and finally ended up at the CPL because the 'community liason' Tonya Welch had met me during previous events. The day after I left them, I was contacted by a former CPL employee who directed content at Amped and we've been in negociations since.

Halo 2 tourneys... I'll be at the MLG NYC Finals at the end of this month, they're the only big console league at the moment.

haha i used to play in the CDN CPL qualifiers for CS and follow that shit reguarly

what game did you compete in verb, I'm guessing some iteration of Quake because you've been around for a minute

i dont really follow e-sports anymore

Edited by homi29 on Feb 13, 2006 at 02:47 PM

Quote:

haha i used to play in the CDN CPL qualifiers for CS and follow that shit reguarly

what game did you compete in verb, I'm guessing some iteration of Quake because you've been around for a minute

--- Original message by homi29 on Feb 13, 2006 02:44 PM

I competed heavily in Quake 1 (Archon's Minions, Legends - both with thresh), Quake 3 (Stickmen), then trailed off for a while, came back for Halo PC (Wat?).

eSports is alot of fun but the amount of time it takes to MAYBE come up with one tournament win per year is ludicrous. Working in the industry allows me to meet tons of game company guys while still attending international events and getting paid. icon_smile_wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I competed heavily in Quake 1 (Archon's Minions, Legends - both with thresh), Quake 3 (Stickmen), then trailed off for a while, came back for Halo PC (Wat?).

eSports is alot of fun but the amount of time it takes to MAYBE come up with one tournament win per year is ludicrous. Working in the industry allows me to meet tons of game company guys while still attending international events and getting paid. icon_smile_wink.gif

--- Original message by verb on Feb 13, 2006 04:25 PM

Verb, what clan were you in when you played NQ vs AM and LGD? I'm pretty familiar with that scene...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Verb, what clan were you in when you played NQ vs AM and LGD? I'm pretty familiar with that scene...

--- Original message by gunpwdr on Feb 13, 2006 04:36 PM

I played NQCTF FOR AM, LGD, BSF then QWCTF for DofA, DE, SC - however I used the tag rage back then. Unfortunately I didn't get into TDM until Q3 so I missed out on all the greatness that is dm3 :(

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I played NQCTF FOR AM, LGD, BSF then QWCTF for DofA, DE, SC - however I used the tag rage back then. Unfortunately I didn't get into TDM until Q3 so I missed out on all the greatness that is dm3 :(

--- Original message by verb on Feb 13, 2006 05:48 PM

Cool. So it's safe to say you're on the west coast?

Thought you might be a former clanmate that went by the name Verbal. I played TDM almost exclusively, and went up against AM, LGD, among many others, then DR in the '98 PGL finals. Came in 2nd with ClanGib. I was also one of the inaugural members of the CPL... but that was a former lifetime. FPS skills don't age well.

Back to the thread... I am an engineer.

-no job, but for money, I usually just sell random stuff on ebay that I know will turn a profit. Like on halloween, I got some of those Burgerking "The King" masks online for like 10 bucks each. Then they sold out and you could flip em on ebay for like $70-$100 a pop.

-Also, those free sites where you have to get referrals ARE legit. Back when they didn't require a credit card to do em, I did like 4-5 of them and made over $500 in goods and whatnot. They still work, but you need a CC and some sites aren't legit and never pay up. Also it's really time consuming.

Edited by Handlethevibe on Feb 13, 2006 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by verb on Feb 13, 2006 05:48 PM

Cool. So it's safe to say you're on the west coast?

Thought you might be a former clanmate that went by the name Verbal. I played TDM almost exclusively, and went up against AM, LGD, among many others, then DR in the '98 PGL finals. Came in 2nd with ClanGib. I was also one of the inaugural members of the CPL... but that was a former lifetime. FPS skills don't age well.

Back to the thread... I am an engineer.

--- Original message by gunpwdr on Feb 13, 2006 05:55 PM

I actually lived in Dallas at the time, but I met all the kids.. Dru, Handiman, Humperdink, yadda yadda at a few lans. I thought I recognized your name and it just clicked once you mentioned cgib/cpl - you were at the first one right? "The CPL Event" or whatever? I actually ate dinner with Rix a year or two ago if you can believe that.

Quote:

Verb,

I don't know if it was the first or second, but it was a Quakecon in Dallas... '98.

Rix huh? Is he still trying to make it professionally? That kid cracked me up.

I wonder how many pro gamers wear DH...

--- Original message by gunpwdr on Feb 14, 2006 08:29 PM

The first CPL event was just called 'The CPL Event' and was a joint venture with Quakecon so that sounds about right, considering the time frame. Dan isn't doing anything professional anymore he actually worked for Verio last I checked which I believe was bought out by ThePlanet.

As for fashionable gamers, besides myself there only seem to be a few europeans but even they seem to be on the nerdy end of things over there. People on this boarsd have referenced the fact that 'noone in Sweden wears Nudies anymore - just the dorks' and most of the swedish cpl kids definitely sport them. We'll see, pro gaming is picking up HUGELY as of late, so you might see more mainstream kids catching on.

Weekdays and nights, I don’t get much sleep because I run a clothing label (shadow) also an online store called NiceProduce in between that I run an store in Melbourne city called Rancho Notorious. I also organise events and exhibitions and freelance graphic design for a crust.

Weekends I don’t get sleep because I’m a VJ and lighting at clubs and events.

Sleep when I can.