What makes jeans overhyped and overrated (start with True Religion?)

josepidal

I've been trying to figure out how to tell a good pair of jeans, especially in terms of material and cut.

I thought I'd ask, too, why the experts consider jeans that seem to look good in pictures overrated and overhyped. Despite recent GQs, for example, why does no one here like True Religion?

Would it be fair to say that a good selvage pair would be around $120 like APC, and anything above that is brand name, marketing, and mass demand?

the general population likes true religion, i personally am not into them. i think most here are denim connisieur's (sp?), and true religion, diesel etc are considered too mainstream. but compared to most mass produced denim, they are great quality, you can "feel" the difference literally...compared to say most 60-80$ jeans.

i personally am a fan of diesel zathans/zaf's and pd&c. also digging the levi skinners although the rigids are a bitch to fit into

Jeans become overhyped simply by good product placement and marketing... Yah know like having all the right celebrities wearing them and getting press in a few magazines..

Once the word gets out, people don't really understand the work put into the design, they only care about how popular they are and how it makes their butt look..

Von Dutch is a clear example of ugly, low quality, jeans that were highly saught after due to marketing and product placement..

Newbie chillin on supertalk!

i go by fit, comfort, price is not a factor, either is the name...you get what you pay for, is all so true with denim.

if im worrying about what celebrity is wearing what, then we have problems. create your own style. if it happens to be kmart jeans (not recommending), and your comfortable in them, then great. go with what fits you best.

I don't like true religion (for men) because I don't think those pockets look very masculine. But that's just my style, and to each his own right? I think hysteria over jeans starts with stars seen wearing jeans with recognizable features in public. I think many people on this board gravitate towards more timeless pieces rather than something that might go out of style in a couple years from now. So I guess they would equate the popularity of more fashiony jeans as 'hype'. But, then again, there are those that like to hate on stuff just because it is popular too, so i donno..

lol, good response......

everyone on superfuture is bitter about everything. Just wait till there precious APC goes main stream, then what will they wear.....didnt you see? it made the newest GQ.....Selvedge denim is in this fall....your all doomed......

im just kidding around, im a denim snob too.....but sometimes you just need to decide for yourself weither something is cool or not, Who cares what other people think, if you think its high quality, go for it.....power to ya

I don't understand that Pretty much all the jeans you have now will not have fallen apart. My father has jeans he's had for like 10 years that are of qualities far below APC and they don't have the slightest signs of falling apart. I have jeans in my closet right now that are over 5 years old that look prety new.

I'm not saying APC is a great product because they are, but its like buying giovanni rims for your car. They aren't any More useful then the stocks except for the fact you like them more

Quote:

honestly you're 100% correct APC is about to light up and fizzle out. GIve it 3 years and lets see whos still lovin their APC's whether they make a quality product or not

--- Original message by jjs home on Jul 25, 2005 06:36 PM

Well, from what I understand from these boards, some of these premium brands made lower quality mass market versions when they began to grow in popularity?

These last few posts gave me a few laughs. From what I have seen on the net and read on SF, APC,s are top quality and have good cuts........and have jack shit to identify them on the outside, labels etc. So I think they will be lasters......just my 0.02c

Quote:

I don't understand that Pretty much all the jeans you have now will not have fallen apart. My father has jeans he's had for like 10 years that are of qualities far below APC and they don't have the slightest signs of falling apart. I have jeans in my closet right now that are over 5 years old that look prety new.

I'm not saying APC is a great product because they are, but its like buying giovanni rims for your car. They aren't any More useful then the stocks except for the fact you like them more

--- Original message by jjs home on Jul 25, 2005 06:51 PM

Quote: My father has jeans he's had for like 10 years that are of qualities far below APC and they don't have the slightest signs of falling apart.

But what does your father do in the jeans? :)

^ hahaahaaha

first off guys please dont get offended cause I'm not tryin to insult anyone, but my father does normal people stuff in his jeans. The definetly doesn't do 100 squats a day to wear them in or purposely put stuff in the pockets to wear em in, but he wears em just like any of ya'll would. Maybe not as many cnosectutive days, but Thats also just something which is part of the trend

Now back to APC yes they make a very quality product, but many smopnaies that have fallen off continued to make a quality product. Look at japanese evisus. They haven't changed, but people hate them now. Same goes with bathing Ape, and just anything that goes from cult to mainstream. Some cmopanies do lower quality, and watch guys APC just might to cash in when the time is right, wel'l al just have to watch. One thing I do see is APC buildnig smoe hype behind it. It maybe not pop of this fall, but by next fal they shold be in full mainstream swing. Thats just my prediction, we'll see what hapenns, but the whole selvedge craze is about to bubble over in the denim game

maybe selvage goes mainstream. but APC is very hard to identify on people, in a way you wouldn't be able to notice whether everyone is wearing or not, so, about EVISU, they are only, at least to the denim snobs, "hated", because of the "outside Japan licencees", am I wrong? Oh, and possibly because of the GULLS being worn by celebrities.

now I bet APC's can last for a lifetime.

Incidentally. I don't live in the United States but am told APC is available in my city. Since it's so anonymous and minimalist, would it ever look TOO minimalist compared to all these other brands, like Nudies?

I'm coming from the angle that I'll be working soon and not in jeans, so I'll likely be wearing jeans on weekends only. If so, I figure I might want something slightly flashier than my normal look when in jeans.

Or would APCs in dark indigo simply look a bit dressy if you don't wash/wear all the indigo out in a month?

I dunno, in my humble opinion things do not neccesarly need to be guady to become a trend. Seven jeans has saturated the market and they aren't very gaudy. People will just become used to APC's signatures, most especially its selvedge lines. People will begin to be able to call out APcs looking at peoples ankles, but again that is just my humble opinion. Time will tell

I mean honestly the fact that all of you lpay the brand so close and are so certain it will be only yours forever noly makes it seem more obvious

Edited by jjs home on Jul 25, 2005 at 10:05 PM

as i was turning over the pages of august's GQ mag while sitting atop the...ahem...nevermind...

smack in the middle of page 147 was a pair of APC jeans. as it turns out, selvage jeans are among the top ten items to buy this season according to GQ's sartorial advice. along with the pair of APC were AX, PDC and DSquared. seems like everybody is getting into the game (except APC of course, they've been there), from the dirty to the ritzy. brace yourselves...here come the unwashed masses. looks like selvage will be the "it" thing this season.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

the problem with shit like true religion, isnt that its way too mainsteam, its just an ugly jeans, gross back pockets, extreme but cut flare shit, way too loose of a thigh....and ryan sea crest wears them

Diesel, seems to get alot fo hate sometimes, but i still like the some zathans, and a few zafs.

but if selvage ebcomes the next "it" jean then will denim heads, turn away to something, new? or keep on "sportin the seam"

chwa?

IMO, Diesel and Helmut have been "heat" for longer than many other players out there. You have to respect Diesel for that. I myself have no reason to not wear my 5 year old kratts or even my 2 year old rabox, other than the kratts have the ultra-distressed look that seems to be back in vogue this year... which I'm not feeling right now.

I am feeling the unwashed, dry denim... and coincidentally so are a lot of editors out there it seems. But who cares right? I'm extremely happy with my dry Nudie RR... they just happen to be selvage. I picked up a pair of (Japanese) Evisu 2017 from the Aoyama store earlier this month just because I've got to pay homage to my ties with Japan (went to HS there in late 80's/early 90's). I almost asked them to not paint the gull on the back pocket... but I like light blue. What am I going to do?

It seems a lot of the brands that SF people are shying away from are the Hollywood born brands, since the exposure and distribution runs counter to that underground vibe brands like APC/Nudie/ALD give. And I don't blame them. Would you buy a hybrid just because Leo has one? If you don't like it, you don't like it... and a lot of the PDC/Seven/True Religion stuff seems uninventive.

My 2 yen.

Quote: My 2 yen.
Your statement is worth at least 2 american cents. icon_smile_wink.gif

I agree. I also think this is a new avenue for these brands to find growth. You can only distress a pair of jeans so many ways...and I've seen some hideously overdone jobs. With selvage, there's at least a semi-valid reason to charge premium prices.

BTW, I'm wearing a pair of Rabox right now and it's one of my favorite cuts. The Diesels are in the rotation, but not as often as the other selvage jeans that need more attention.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif