Personal style and music?

superBobo

How does your style relate to the music you listen to? Inspired in some more subtle way, or drawing from a certain sub-culture... or?

Personally, music had a much heavier influence on my style when I was younger.. did the whole listen to hiphop, wearing streetstyle thing which imo can be called a subculture. Earlier than that, in my early teens I listened to goth and dressed the look aswell.

Nowadays it seems my musical taste is alot more diverse, and not directly correlated to my sense of style. That said, I do enjoy Johnny Cash, old folk music and such that you could say where related to a vintage aesthetic, but my style choices and musical taste is alot more complex than that.

It seems my "fashion choices" are much more influenced by "fashion" than by subcultures now.

Definitely, I come from that age that grew up listening to fairly good early to mid-90's rock, as well as that mid-90's 'everybody is skateboarding again' phase. Then again when I got to college around 2000 and good music started trickling out again. Never learned how to keep my pants higher than my hips and still to this day walk around with the 'substance abuse walk.'

I've listened to rap for most of my life, I dont think it really shows in my style much anymore. I used to wear baggy pants and the whole deal, but that was a long time ago. I still sag my jeans though which probably originated from there :o

when I listened to more rock, indie pop and whatever I guess it might've influenced me to wear more skinny jeans etc, but at the moment I'd say fashion in general influences me much more than music in terms of how I dress.

My style in clothing, much like my taste in music is all over the place. I take bits of everything I like from different styles and combine them into my own more or less; theres emphasis on a particular type of clothing, but something foreign slips in form time to time.

A lot of the indie band shirts I wore during high school with a large emphasis on visual aesthetic over logo/brandname sort of indirectly made me more conscious of how much I like interesting half-abstract designs and stuff. More than that though I think my current fashion choices are mainly influenced by seeing what other people are/are not wearing.

Also I own and wear a Raiders hat pretty much just because Ice Cube and Chuck D used to wear it, and I like the bay area a lot.

i listen to all types of music but i'm currently emerging out of a phase where i'd dress like some new wave idol from the 80's, like devo but more along the lines of the plastics. either way i think music plays a role in most people's fashion sense at some point or another, whether we like to admit it or not.

Music used to influence my fashion (to an embarassing degree) when I was much younger. Now that I'm into my 30s, I've gone pretty simple.

Jeans and mostly blank t-shirts. White or black. I pay more attention to my shoes (Adidas Sambas, Born, Steve Madden, Underground UK, etc) than I used to, but the rest of my wardrobe has gotten very simple and sparse.

Hence, my attraction to Flat Head.

S

I have probably gone through every style out there and every type of music out there. I think the style of clothing that I prefer is reflected in the type of music I listen to and vice versa. I think they feed off of each other for me. In general, I would assume that when you look at someone you can say what they generally listen to. Of course there are many exceptions as well. I do also sometimes think that if I see someone who is very fashionable that person is also very aware modern music.

My style in clothing, much like my taste in music is all over the place. I take bits of everything I like from different styles and combine them into my own more or less; theres emphasis on a particular type of clothing, but something foreign slips in form time to time.

pretty much the same here.....variety is the spice of life, this applies to me both in fashion and music. id say my fashion choices are definitely more informed by fashion than music though.

i listen to all types of music but i'm currently emerging out of a phase where i'd dress like some new wave idol from the 80's, like devo but more along the lines of the plastics. either way i think music plays a role in most people's fashion sense at some point or another, whether we like to admit it or not.

pictures???

Guest jmatsu
I've listened to rap for most of my life, I dont think it really shows in my style much anymore. I used to wear baggy pants and the whole deal, but that was a long time ago. I still sag my jeans though which probably originated from there :o

quote]

dude, that's awesome. could you post some pics??

i think how i dress now is pretty linked to listening to hardcore in my teens - i may be wearing different brands now but the 80's New York uniform hoodedsweat and nike high tops along with the more 90's straight edge look or crew necks/collared shirt, chinos and runners make up the bulk of my outfits.

listening to black metal has had no impact on how i dress, other than the odd band shirt.

when I was younger I was into the whole "pop-punk skate it up brah!" phase and then it really reflected that. I was totally into band tee's and patches. Since then, my taste in music is incredibly wide. It would be impossible to combine all music that I truly enjoy into a "style". I wear a pair of nudies + sneakers + blank different color tee's everyday. I just match the tee's with my sneakers and rock the same pair of pants. I will occasionally wear a band tee that I may have recently picked up, but that would be the only way to have a person that does not know me guess about what kind of music I listen to.

As someone who is mostly into hardcore/youth crew/punk/etc and black metal, I don't think it's had much of an impact on my style, aside from the Descendents and Darkthrone shirts I wear weekly. I have a real appreciation for the 80s NY hardcore look, as Darkeside mentioned above, but I would never rock it myself (not into light jeans or high-tops). I suppose modern shoe collector hardcore style has sort of seeped into my look a tiny bit: I own one allover print hoodie, and a Tigers 5950 hat (with the brim bent, though).

i probably look like some kind of 'indie rocker,' maybe 90s emostatus, which i guess is what i mainly listen to but i'm kinda of all over the map. i defintiely grew up in the indie rocker look. i've made an effort to be less obvious about what im into (and in the process maybe look more like an adult) in recent years, so i almost never wear just a band shirt out. pretty much always in some kind of button up, usually of the cowboy variety... tight jeans... low vans, wayfarers...

• 2 months later...

my style varies alot since past years. i used to wear alot of baggy clothes around 7th and 8th grade, the typical clothes like sean john, rocawear, akademiks and so on. then i developed into che shirts and shit like that, mao shirts and just corny shit like that. and by then end of high school i got away from hiphop and started listening to alot of death metal, so i decided to grow my hair out and wear skinny jeans. now i can say i wear mostly basic stuff. a few band shirts that people will know from that my style in music. but for the main part plain tees, slip ons and my jeans. i try to make it look good with a nice jacket, and i tend to wear alot of button up/plaid shirts. so yes, music influenced me alot wardrobe wise. and black and metal tees as well.

• 2 months later...

i listen to death metal, grindcore, and black metal. i am kind out of place at shows but its about the music. i used to be a street punk kid living at the gilman.i have a siq darkthrone shirt iv had forever i ride in it alot.music is music. i try not to tell the world that i like metal becuase i allow listen to opera and folk. i listen to whatever sounds good. and i where what looks good. im just not about the punk scene or any of that jazz anymore.