• 3 weeks later...

im debating on whether i would cool in these or if they are just way too out there. idk like what something different from the typical wayfarer ish

tumblr_mnjpgnn3W51qzvho5o1_500.jpg

Edited by AYIYI

They're nice. Not something you'd wear for everyday use like running errands. Something for when you're dressed appropriately & out and about.

Edited by wild bill
you don't need to quote a post right above yours

adh92

Yellow Plus (disregard the tacky name)

Tana Gokoro

kaneko optical

I have a pair of Tart Optical

a picture of mine I converted to sunglasses

2012-10-25170356_zps2ff2672c.png

Stupid question but what brand(s) make glasses similar to these? Also anyone know a good place with quality frames in Montreal?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/Crazyfists/9DC33A19-4378-4F03-90D5-63AA3D308105-1404-0000015E4CC79924.jpg

Thanks

moscot yukel

shuron ronsir zyl

ray-ban clubmasters

have been considering getting a pair myself

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sweat stains would depend on the used material but as far as my experience reaches there should be nothing to worry about. 

The one thing I would be more concerned about is reflection or distraction by incident lighting, due to the transparent frame. This is a knock out criteria for me, but I have some poor eyesight.

Any have experience with http://www.lookmatic.com? Drunken friend caught me with a solid right to the temple and need new glasses.

Was looking at Tart Arnels or FDRs but 65-95$ for replicas sounds way better than 35,000 yen for just Tart frames + 1.5k for examination and lenses locally.

Is there a huge difference in quality between taking the empty frames to an optician here and getting lenses put it vs. getting a prescription / pupillary measurement here and sending it to the online shop? Cost would be way different (65$ for frames only + ~150$ for examination and lenses here vs. 95$ for the frames shipped with prescription lenses in)

-basically, if you send an accurate prescription will online glasses shops give you good lenses or are they cutting too many corners?

Edited by fals3

Any have experience with http://www.lookmatic.com? Drunken friend caught me with a solid right to the temple and need new glasses.

Was looking at Tart Arnels or FDRs but 65-95$ for replicas sounds way better than 35,000 yen for just Tart frames + 1.5k for examination and lenses locally.

Is there a huge difference in quality between taking the empty frames to an optician here and getting lenses put it vs. getting a prescription / pupillary measurement here and sending it to the online shop? Cost would be way different (65$ for frames only + ~150$ for examination and lenses here vs. 95$ for the frames shipped with prescription lenses in)

-basically, if you send an accurate prescription will online glasses shops give you good lenses or are they cutting too many corners?

i bought some really nice tart arnels replica. i read they are basicly the real thing which you won't find anywhere else. handmade from italian accetate with functional rivets. i paid around 150$ shipped to europe but they might be more expensive in the US since they usually only sell to retailers. check out dolabany arnold. the website doesn't do them any justice. i can take a couple of pictures if you like.

for the lenses i went to an optician chain that would test my eyes for free but suggested 300$ lenses eventhough i said i wouldn't need to wear them often at all. i then took their test results and went to a local small optician and explained my needs. he offered me some lenses that he said where good but that the coating might not hold up as long. those lenses where around 65$ (both) and i was able to pick them up just 2 days later. i guess it's worth trying to find a smaller optician that doesn't try to sell you uber expensive lenses

i wear them more often now than i first planned to - cause they are so nice

• 2 weeks later...

thome-browne-eyewear-fall-2013-2-630x354

thom-browne-fw2012-sunglasses-01.jpg

favorites at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

finally pulled the trigger on a pair of slp bold 5. thought i'd share a fit pic to help anyone thinking of buying. pretty nice imo. but the case is totally shit (different to pokpok's one)

9617202301_cfdf005b99.jpg

Edited by swooc

Good choice. They suit you nicely.

Regarding the fit, after the Thom Browne x Dita 701, the SL Bold 5 are the ones that fit me the best, but I thought they felt a bit cheap (correct me i'f i'm wrong)... But they aren't wide, so it's perfect for me.

I need to try on some more Tom Fords, but I'd like to go with either TB, Céline, TF or maybe SL...

The wire arms of the TB x Dita add a nice touch, imo. Every frame is perfect. Even the golden rounded sunglasses with yellow lenses.

Good choice. They suit you nicely.

Regarding the fit, after the Thom Browne x Dita 701, the SL Bold 5 are the ones that fit me the best, but I thought they felt a bit cheap (correct me i'f i'm wrong)... But they aren't wide, so it's perfect for me.

I need to try on some more Tom Fords, but I'd like to go with either TB, Céline, TF or maybe SL...

The wire arms of the TB x Dita add a nice touch, imo. Every frame is perfect. Even the golden rounded sunglasses with yellow lenses.

i think the thickness of these gives an added perception to quality. but at the end of the day, you'd be crazy to spend more than 300 bucks for a pair. celine i think are made under safilo as well. i'd assume the quality will be exactly like slp.

it seems like you're geared more towards dita frames. i think any other will just leave you un-satisfied.

finally pulled the trigger on a pair of slp bold 5. thought i'd share a fit pic to help anyone thinking of buying. pretty nice imo. but the case is totally shit (different to pokpok's one)

nvm.

Edited by home

shuron_ronsir_revelation_eyeglasses_sh-r

Just bought a pair of Shuron Revelations -- this post is less about the glasses (which while extremely well manufactured are pretty low-key) and more about the company because holy shit Shuron's customer service is out of the world. I emailed them asking about two models (Ronsir and Revelation), and they ended up sending me 4 pairs of frames + clip on sunglasses as a sample with 2 day shipping. Also talked me through the exact treatments their lens get, their lens manufacturers, what lens would best suit my situations, etc. Still on the fence about how I like the frames with my facial structure, etc. but definitely 10/10 on customer service. Great company.

• 2 weeks later...

bought a pair of effector fuzz-s off yjp. these are bigger than i expected, or maybe i'm just used to smaller glasses. the regular fuzz frames would probably look gigantic on my face. still deciding whether or not to go put prescription lenses in them, they feel a bit awkward but i figure that'll go away the more i wear them.

sorry for bad pic and huge phone

r63OaF7.jpg?1

bought a pair of effector fuzz-s off yjp. these are bigger than i expected, or maybe i'm just used to smaller glasses. the regular fuzz frames would probably look gigantic on my face. still deciding whether or not to go put prescription lenses in them, they feel a bit awkward but i figure that'll go away the more i wear them.

sorry for bad pic and huge phone

r63OaF7.jpg?1

I find all Effector glasses to be unwearable, they're far too bulky, heavy, and loud.  They barely sit properly on your nose because of the shape of the bridge even if you're Asian.  I wish they would tone it down because their basic silhouettes are very nice and the quality is great for the price.

@kiya: about them sitting on the bridge, i was really confident they'd fit me perfectly or at least decently with Effector being a Japanese brand so they'd understand the whole Asian nose bridge thing but yeah, spent a bit of time re-adjusting them while trying them on. i do like how substantial they feel. my older pairs of glasses feel flimsy as hell to me now.

@itsbenhere: i don't mind the look of them, i actually like the look of them. only thing is getting used to wearing them haha.