.mike vick.

Larry Bird

monkeys are much smarter and more deserving of human treatment than dogs...but we torture them for our benefit anyway...

Monkeys aren't tortured for the pleasure of the torturer. I'm pretty sure monkey fighting is illegal, as is devising ingenious ways to execute monkeys purely for the entertainment of thugs. That's illegal and should be.

I actually think gambling should be totally legal, though. You can't legislate morals, but we should be able to protect the public safety. Allowing people to get a taste for sadism in the name of sport is dangerous.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ll encompass my reply both to sushi and airport

dog fighting in my eyes is a sport. Not much different imo to boxing,ultimate fighting (yes this involves humans but as we know many are left brain damaged and in some cases dead or ears bitten off) Also considered sports bull fighting,dog racing & horse racing...now how many losing horses are sent to the glue factory..how many losing dogs are put down? But is it because dog fighting is entertainment for THUGS (is that what you called them airport? dont want to misquote) or the "Southern" and not ceos of fortune 500 companies,trust fund kids and the melanin deficient that makes that right but dog fighting cruel?

Mike Vick I have never heard of before this controversy. Call me the devil`s advocate But he got a bad rap.He worked hard to get to where is in his life now and to know that it isnt because he killed or raped or robbed anyone that is the end of all that but because he was part of a sport..that if everything else ive listed is considered a sport that should be too.

Oh and its absolutely ridiculous to assume that the way animals are killed for our food is painless. Ive seen the videos from slaughter houses and...it sure as hell doesnt look like it tickles.

^dude honestly, PETA doesn't like any of the forms of entertainment you mentioned above so I don't think this is as much how much everyone loves dogs as it is PETA got their teeth in somebodys ass and they refuse to let go of it.

It could have been horses, ducks, wallabys, girraffs, kittens, polar bears, rats, hamsters, snakes, lions, tigers, bears, lizards, zebras, cougars, tigers, amercan bald eagles, or woodpeckers, it doesn't matter. This things would have blown up regardless:

Black Celebrity + Any form of "Animal Cruelty" + Federal Government = National Attention no matter what. And what does PETA love almost as much as animals? National attention for "Animal Injustice."

I mean for God sakes PETA doesn't even want you to own a pet. They're lunatics that are allowed to walk the streets!

When I was a kid we used to throw rocks at birds and any other creature that crossed our path. I wonder if they're start indicting children now

PETA didn't prosecute the case. PETA is a fringe group that has very little influence on anyone in power. To say that Vick is the victim of a PETA witch hunt is bullshit.

Haja - as I stated many times, for me and for most people, dog fighting is not like boxing or killing animals for food. It is like bullfights, which I believe are also illegal in the US. Boxers are capable of deciding whether to fight or not on their own. No one forces them to fight. No one is deriving pleasure from forcing pain on a boxer. MMA and boxing may have a sadistic appeal for fans, but at least fans cannot force a fighter to be hurt. Similarly, no one but a few sick fucks derives pleasure from exerting pain on animals when they kill them for food or for hunting. This is in stark contrast with dogfighting.

Dog fighting is a problem in some black communities. It is also a problem in some white communities - for example Cajuns are notorious animal fighters. But Vick is black, not a Cajun, so in this thread I am more concerned with Vick's refusal to leave behind certain behaviors that are part of his background, which are often self-described as thug characteristics. You admit in your post that you nothing about Vick. Vick is famous in part as for surviving and thriving despite a childhood spent in dangerous projects. I don't think we'll be able to eradicate the pernicious behavior of encouraging violence by proxy through animals until we accurately describe it, without political correctness.

If you choose to think that Vick is only being prosecuted because he is black, and choose not to believe that part of the reason he chose to fight dogs is because he adopted certain unhealthy modes of black behavior, then I think you are incorrect on both counts. As I noted before, Vick has millions of dollars invested in him by many predominantly white businesses. It is in these white businesses' best interest to protect Vick from prosecution. However, Vick was too arrogant or stupid to avoid flagrantly engaging in illegal activity. He left no choice for prosecutors but to prosecute him. It has nothing to do with Vick being black, although his prior success makes him an effective tool for warning others not to engage in these crimes.

PETA didnt prosecute the case, but they were responsible almost entirely for aiding and abetting the media frenzy that consumed the case and spread disinformation about the facts, completely shaping public opinion, and essentially denying this man of due process. as i've maintained, he was guilty from the get go thanks to the social retards at PETA.

dog fighting is not a problem in some black communities- i don't know what black communities you're referring to. it seems that because a lot of well known black male celebrities are connected to scandals involving dogs, along with the general glorification of pit bulls in hip hop culture, that the world assumes that this is all of a sudden a black issue.

Vick was persecuted because he was black, he's being prosecuted because he's stupid. it has nothing to do with adopting 'unhealthy modes of black behavior', because the behaviors that got him into trouble- looking the other way while his buddies did something illegal- is no more a mode of black behavior than being generally intolerant and ignorant is a white mode of behavior.

but, then again...

For example, none of the racist and derogatory comments lodged against Vick by protesters have been lodged against Floyd Boudreaux of New Orleans, the noted "Kingpin" and "don" of the underground dogfighting world who controls at least 80-85% of the dogfighting gambling commerce across the nation. As a matter of fact, no one in this country is even talking about Boudreaux and his son Guy, period.

That has not been the law before now, why is it being changed (as legal precedent goes) especially for Vick? I don't say he shouldn't be punished, I say he should receive the same punishment as those whites who have gone before him. If it was a misdemeanor then, why does it change to a felony that has been outstanding in court for years until eight days after he was indicted? And even where it was carried out as a felony charge, the masterminds still got slapped on the hand, fined and sent home. No one's life or livelihood was taken away over it ever in the history of this nation, not even the "dogfighting don of Louisiana," whose case, eerily enough, I can't find a final disposition on though he was arrested more than two years ago.

Who is blind and can't see the racism and irony in this?

PETA didnt prosecute the case, but they were responsible almost entirely for aiding and abetting the media frenzy that consumed the case and spread disinformation about the facts, completely shaping public opinion, and essentially denying this man of due process. as i've maintained, he was guilty from the get go thanks to the social retards at PETA.

Again, no one gives any credence to anything PETA says. Vick himself is much more sympathetic and important to mainstream America than PETA. He has a much larger platform thatn PETA to speak from. And again, the evidence is so strong agaist Vick that he pled out, even though he can afford the best attorneys and PR in the country. Even Vick's own father has told newspaper reporters he saw his son fighting dogs. Vick is not taking the rap for his buddies misbehavior, he's taking the fall for bankrolling an illegal trans-state organization.

dog fighting is not a problem in some black communities- i don't know what black communities you're referring to. it seems that because a lot of well known black male celebrities are connected to scandals involving dogs, along with the general glorification of pit bulls in hip hop culture, that the world assumes that this is all of a sudden a black issue.

Uh, yeah. I do bame hip hop culture. Was this the case twenty years ago? No, the pit population has spiked in projects. Are you going to stick your head in the sand and argue that all the signs of increased dog fighting in black projects are just white racism? While traditionally pit fighting may be a white sport, it is clearly taking hold with black kids in projects. http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/articles/brownstein.html

I wish it wasn't true. If you want to discuss dog (and cock) fighting in white or Hispanic communities, we can do that, but this is a thread about Vick, so it is pretty much off topic. This is especially true since you continue to claim, without any evidence, that Vick is only being prosecuted because of racism. Vick may have reached a level of dog fighting that was more interracial, but he clearly became interested in the sport in the Virginia projects he grew up in.

And the Boudreaux's have been prosecuted and their business destroyed. The Boudreauxs will probably wind up spending much more time in jail than Vick. And are you seriously comparing the amount of media devoted to the Boudreauxs as was devoted to Vick? Was Floyd Boudreaux a number one NFL draftpick? The face of the Falcons? The face of EA sports? The face of Nike NFL? No, he was an old hick only known by those in community and in the relatively small world of big time dog fighting - i.e., not newsworthy. To say that Boudreaux wasn't nailed by the media because of racism is ludicrous. No one gives a shit about Boudreaux. Man, it's so racist that no one gives a shit about the white dog breeder! He deserves equal treatment in the media! I'm calling my senators!

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/dog_fighting_kingpin_toppled_in_louisiana_raid.html

For example, none of the racist and derogatory comments lodged against Vick by protesters have been lodged against Floyd Boudreaux of New Orleans, the noted "Kingpin" and "don" of the underground dogfighting world who controls at least 80-85% of the dogfighting gambling commerce across the nation. As a matter of fact, no one in this country is even talking about Boudreaux and his son Guy, period.

That has not been the law before now, why is it being changed (as legal precedent goes) especially for Vick? I don't say he shouldn't be punished, I say he should receive the same punishment as those whites who have gone before him. If it was a misdemeanor then, why does it change to a felony that has been outstanding in court for years until eight days after he was indicted? And even where it was carried out as a felony charge, the masterminds still got slapped on the hand, fined and sent home. No one's life or livelihood was taken away over it ever in the history of this nation, not even the "dogfighting don of Louisiana," whose case, eerily enough, I can't find a final disposition on though he was arrested more than two years ago.

Who is blind and can't see the racism and irony in this?

where's the moral outcry about boudreaux? where're the protests? the

videos of protesters that need to be edited because you can clearly hear

people saying 'nigger!' in the crowd? why is the law being changed all of a sudden?

no one has fucking said that he's being prosecuted because of racism, you closeted racist- all anyone on my side of the argument has said is that the persecution

of vick prior to anything substantial besides allegations of misconduct were known

was fueled by racism. anyone who doesn't see a racial undercurrent in the lead up to an actual case is blind- even i've been indoctrinated by the frenzy, i was calling it 'the vick case' before charges had even been pressed. plain and simple, everything that happened between the rumors and the confession was unjust

your misrepresentation of black culture is telling- i suppose then that because midwestern whites have glommed onto crystal meth, it is the shame of all american

whites to deal with? but then again, for all the talks about the meth epidemic in america, the war on drugs still targets young black youths. funny, that.

westside, shut the fuck up and go do something instead of sitting here bitching your retarded brains out about about how dogs should be killed, etc

obviously you have never had a pet and dont have the mental capacity to harbor one

I have in the past and do now; my dog is my brother

i could describe what makes him so, but all i really need to do is refer to the man's best friend line, because it is completely true

dogs are clearly and obviously on a different level than chickens and the like

and in reference to the race shit, fuck that, pure garbage for people who fish for anything for fishing's sake

michael vick et al brutally tortured and killed dogs, he got what he deserved

the real injustice is that some of those who associated with him did not

and no, I am not overly vehement about animal cruelty in particular

scum of all kinds deserve proper punishment

these rap musix...its dun n ruined our chillunz...

my 13 yr old all he does is do coordinated dance with his frendz all day...he doesnt want 2 get a job!!!

and yes, sinc u luve ur retarded dog as if it had reel thots n feelinz...we all shud b forced b law 2 do tht 2!!!

use your fucking brain, goddamn

youre not forced to do shit

youre just not allowed to needlessly torture and kill animals that have enough capacity to learn, show loyalty, exhibit intelligence, and so on

and for the love of god stop trying to garner e-attention and type like a normal person, first it was acting like the sufu badguy and mass neg repping people and so on, and now it's this

use your fucking brain, goddamn

youre not forced to do shit

youre just not allowed to needlessly torture and kill animals that have enough capacity to learn, show loyalty, exhibit intelligence, and so on

and for the love of god stop trying to garner e-attention and type like a normal person, first it was acting like the sufu badguy and mass neg repping people and so on, and now it's this

i hav nothin 2 liv 4 :(

when a white radio host in atlanta gets away with saying

"vick was just too stupid to realize that he needed not to hang out with anymore black guys"

then there is no way in hell anyone can claim that race doesn't play an issue in this.

where's the moral outcry about boudreaux? where're the protests? the

videos of protesters that need to be edited because you can clearly hear

people saying 'nigger!' in the crowd? why is the law being changed all of a sudden?

Again, no one gave a shit about Boudreaux because no one outside the dog fighting world and Arcadia knew who the fuck he was. The law is being changed because the tail wags the dog. Dog fighting is in the spot light, because Vick is high profile, so politicians are making hay with it. It's the way laws are almost always passed. I see no indications of racism in it. I suppose it was racist of Nike to choose Vick as their spokesmen, even though he underperformed his entire career.... Or maybe he was chosen because he's a charismatic performer who captured the spotlight.

no one has fucking said that he's being prosecuted because of racism, you closeted racist- all anyone on my side of the argument has said is that the persecution

of vick prior to anything substantial besides allegations of misconduct were known

was fueled by racism. anyone who doesn't see a racial undercurrent in the lead up to an actual case is blind- even i've been indoctrinated by the frenzy, i was calling it 'the vick case' before charges had even been pressed. plain and simple, everything that happened between the rumors and the confession was unjust

No, you have repeatedly hinted that there is no evidence that Vick is guilty of the crime he pled to (conspiracy, not animal cruelty). In fact, there is massive evidence. And again, PETA did not drive the news story which you blame for resulting in Vick's conviction (despite the fact that criminal investigations preceded the news leak). ESPN, local news, etc. drove this story. I.e., the very people who made Vick famous to begin with. Again, I guess they only made Vick famous because they were bigots.

your misrepresentation of black culture is telling- i suppose then that because midwestern whites have glommed onto crystal meth, it is the shame of all american

whites to deal with? but then again, for all the talks about the meth epidemic in america, the war on drugs still targets young black youths. funny, that.

No, I never said all black culture has a problem with dog fighting. And I never said black people who don't fight dogs have to do anything in regard to this issue. You can mischaracterize my arguments to make me look like a "closted racist" all you want, but the mischaracterizations are there for everyone to see.

I do believe, and many others do as well, that dog fighting is spreading in black projects. I think that if you are arguing that there isn't an unhealthy fascination with pits and dog fighting among some black kids, you have your head in the sand. The only reason I care to discuss dog fighting in the context of race is because 1) you chose to argue that Vick is the victim of race baiting; and 2) I believe that if we are going to cure the problem we are going to have to accurately describe the problem. Obviously, if I was looking to cure the meth scourge, I would target the people most likely to be in the meth business (in your argument, hick whites). Since we are talking about dog fighting and Vick, I am most concerned with dog fighting in the projects, where Vick learned about the sport. I do believe it is its own specific form of dog fighting, and needs to be targeted as such.

i have to maintain that despite what you think i was hinting at, my only claim is that racism fueled the media frenzy and the protests. my beliefs about the lack of or, in your eyes, wealth of evidence, have nothing to do with my thoughts on racism. i'm also not blaming the news stories for his conviction- and please, can't people read more carefully- i'm blaming the news stories for his being seen as guilty immediately in the eyes of the public, before all of the facts were revealed.

furthermore,

i live in the motherfucking bronx, you live in fucking white washed austin indie dreamland where when i went out for SXSW i received so many dirty looks from and was treated exceedingly coldly by every single tightpansted faux-liberal cowboy offspring for simply being there that i could feel

the cold cock of old-fashioned southern "we'll let you go, but don't come back" racism shoved up my ass.

you're not qualified to say anything about black culture, so please stop.

furthermore,

i live in the motherfucking bronx, you live in fucking white washed austin indie dreamland where when i went out for SXSW i received so many dirty looks from and was treated exceedingly coldly by every single tightpansted faux-liberal cowboy offspring for simply being there that i could feel

the cold cock of old-fashioned southern "we'll let you go, but don't come back" racism shoved up my ass.

HOW'S IT FEEL NIGGER?

yo, where's patrick kerney right now?

“Alleged Rape Took Place in Kerney’s Home”

Michael Vick had no such luxury as the presumption on innocence. There was no “alleged” in sports blog headlines. And no one was sought out to speak in his behalf. Kerney proclaimed his innocence without as much as a sniff of a challenge. Vick, like Kerney, proclaimed his innocence, It was met with abject derision.

Kerney’s house was never scoured for evidence. Neither Kerney, nor anyone who was at his house that night was taken down to the police station and questioned. Kerney’s flimsy story that he was asleep was never challenged by the police or by the local press.

With Vick, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) immediately flexed its muscles and lunged after Vick like a ———- fighting dog. There was no rebuking of Kerney or the perpetrator(s) by the National Organization of women (NOW) or any other Women’s rights groups. For Kerney, there were no mainstream sports media reports on rape in relation to athletes.

There are between 20,000 and 40,000 people in the U.S. who participate in dog fighting activities. If we average the two numbers, one-one hundredth of one percent of the U.S. population is involved in dog fighting. By contrast, 31% of women in the U.S. - about 49 million - report being physically or sexually abused by a husband or boyfriend at some point in their lives. Nearly 25% of U.S. women - about 38.25 million -report being raped and/or physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, cohabiting partner, or date at some time in their lifetime.

Dog fighting or abuse of women? You tell me which issue is more important.

You tell me why Tom Lantos (D-Ca.) feels the need to speak out against Michael Vick and dog fighting, but not against Patrick Kerney or his friends and the rape and physical abuse of women?

You tell me how Michael Vick is being held accountable for the alleged actions of his cousin Devon Boddie and Tony Taylor in a house that Vick bought for his cousin but did not live near, but Patrick Kerney is not being held accountable for the rape that took place in his house while he allegedly lay asleep in another room?

I don’t hear about Patrick Kerney being forced to tell police investigators who was in his house that evening. No psychological examination was performed on the woman to explore the possibility that she might actually be protecting Kerney. To date, no DNA evidence has been gathered from either the rape victim or Kerney, or anyone else allegedly involved with the case.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell hasn’t called Patrick Kerney into his office. In fact, Goodell has issued not one public statement regarding Patrick Kerney or the Kerney rape case.

Terrence Moore, columnist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, never wrote a column criticizing Kerney or his choice of friends, like he did with Michael Vick. He never wrote a column asking for an expanded police presence in the Kerney case as he has with federal agents and Vick. AJC writer Steve Wyche, since May 28, has written 24 articles or columns about Michael Vick. He hasn’t come remotely close to doing the same with Patrick Kerney.

Oh man - you were in Austin a whole weekend? Please, tell me all about our tight-pantsed, dreamlan, indie, racist culture - you are uniquely qualified!

my point exactly, thank you for falling into my reverse straw man...

if im not allowed to make claims about the culture in austin, why are you so sure of your claims about what goes on in the concrete yards of the urban black populace?

my point exactly, thank you for falling into my reverse straw man...

if im not allowed to make claims about the culture in austin, why are you so sure of your claims about what goes on in the concrete yards of the urban black populace?

Wait, so your point is that, according to your logic, I can't know anything about how black people live, and you can't know anything about how whities in Austin live? Isn't that a pretty damn depressing conclusion? I give you full reign to draw whatever conclusions you want about us. I'm sure some will be correct, some incorrect, and some correct, which I could have never seen from my insider's perspective.

aircrakpot: did u pass the bar? how many tries did it take???

I h8 to brkae it 2 u WestSidE, but the only one making crackpot arguments is you. Have you found a politician advocating a pro-cruelty to animals platform to vote for yet?

You still trying to work out whether to pay ultimate respect to worms, because they will eventually convert you to fecal matter?

Wait, so your point is that, according to your logic, I can't know anything about how black people live, and you can't know anything about how whities in Austin live? Isn't that a pretty damn depressing conclusion? I give you full reign to draw whatever conclusions you want about us. I'm sure some will be correct, some incorrect, and some correct, which I could have never seen from my insider's perspective.

im saying that making claims about something that you havent experienced first-hand and are only aware of through 2nd and 3rd person sources, or, are only aware of outside of a normal framework for a short period of time, is precarious and should be avoided at all costs in favor of sticking to arguing facts that have been proven.

you know austin, i know new york.

if we switched places, and faces, for a few years, maybe then we could make intelligent claims about the other side. until then...

im saying that making claims about something that you havent experienced first-hand and are only aware of through 2nd and 3rd person sources, or, are only aware of outside of a normal framework for a short period of time, is precarious and should be avoided at all costs in favor of sticking to arguing facts that have been proven.

you know austin, i know new york.

if we switched places, and faces, for a few years, maybe then we could make intelligent claims about the other side. until then...

Ok, good. Now we are getting somewhere. It isn't a racist belief to feel like dog fighting is spreading among black kids, in areas I have some personal knowledge of - e.g., New Orleans. I made the argument in good faith, not out of racism. If I am wrong, I definitely stand to be corrected, and in fact would hope to be, because I don't want to believe negative things about groups of people I don't personally know. You seemed to think the worst of me, but nothing I said was outlandish or meant to be mean spirited. I only wanted to openly discuss something i find interesting.