UNIQLO Selvage Denim S-000 [open thread]

onemancult

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thx for the pics

how heavy is the denim/ how does it feel etc?

intial impressions?

i guess they feel kinda heavy-- though i don't have much experience (none, really) with japanese denim. they definitely feel heavier than my STFs, but maybe that's cus of the starch.. They definitely seem to be lighter than my earnest sewn fultons, though I don't know what weight those jeans are.

this is my second pair of raw jeans (STFs were my first, i really don't like the color they are after a few washes) so I can't really make any comparisons to the other japanese brands talked about on this board..

so, i went and tried both the S-000 and S-0002 on today, and as i knocked

back yuenglings a few hours ago at a party, i had this severe internal dialogue, trying

to decide if i should post about them or not. i'm going to err on the side of 'what the hell are you thinking?' and go for it. if anyone has any concerns about my intentions, keep them to yourself... you'll never understand how much you ruined my personal life for a few days, and if you do it again, i swear on the graves of my forefathers that i will stalk and kill you and post youtube videos of your executions in supertrash. :D

in any event, here are my thoughts:

the jeans have a really substantial feel to them, and the denim looks good

for an 80 dollar pair of jeans. [in regards to the pricing, all the information that

i'd been furnished with pointed to them being 50 dollars, and i apologize for

misleading anyone] mother cotton hoopla or not, the coloration on the indigo

pairs is really deep, and in my estimation, should prove to fade reasonably well.

the black denim also has a really nice color to it.

the rivet details are pretty interesting, although i'm sure they will throw people

off. essentially, these are non-traditional uncapped rivets that let you see the

fabric scattered around the 'shank' portion of each rivet... a nice touch, a little

bit of that weirdo wabi-sabi thing that everyone and their dad was all about a

few years ago, but an intriguing detail nonetheless.

the slim fit jeans, i would say, fit slightly tighter than a pair of new standards.

the taper is maybe a half inch more extreme, and the overall cut is a bit less

forgiving. also bear in mind that all the denim used in these models is sanforized.

if you size up, only do it if you dont want them skin tight, not because you expect

them to shrink, because they won't.

the s-0002, on the other hand, pretty much fits the other way around-- it is about

a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch more forgiving all around than new standards. the taper is

barely noticeable, and for our buddy knucks, you might want to size up

to a 32 to get your athletic legs in there comfortably.

overall, i am disappointed about the price increase, and the only reason i can come

up with is that UNIQLO also recently introduced a mid-level, fifty dollar premium skinny

fit jean in multiple colors, in addition to their usual, always forty dollar jeans in regular, slim straight, and skinny cuts.

would i pay 80 dollars for them? personally, i am not a hardcore denim fanatic, and selvage means next to nothing to me. neither do the vintage, 1960s inspired details.

also, their regular and new premium non-selvage jeans are of a satisfying quality to me,

so there isn't an issue of wanting better jeans, because all of Uniqlo's denim products are great in my opinion.

however, i would say that if i were new to selvage denim, i would jump on these over a pair of APCs not only because of the price, but because i also feel that not having to concern yourself with shrinkage issues and vanity sizing is a blessing. if i were already inducted into the denim cult, i'd want these jeans because theyre a great cheap alternative to keep around, and in my estimation, fall in love with over time, just like any other higher-end pair of selvage denim. at the end of the day, its all about what you put into them, right? buy em [or win them!], wear em, done deal.

all in all, despite gripes about the price, the jean makes a good first impression... can't say for sure how these will stand up to wear, but hopefully other members can pick up my slack in this case.

wow omc, you should've told me they were already available at the soho location when i bumped into you earlier tonight. i hadn't checked this thread in a while.

anyway, i'll most likely pick up a pair tomorrow. if i do, i'll post some pics of fit/details.

also polishmike, didn't realize you were on sufu. when i met you at the hiro party i thought you were telling me your nickname.

considering my other raw uniqlo jeans, they stretch maybe half as much as a pair of APCs. i dunno what it is, because im not sure if their old jeans are pre-treated, but my

slim straight raw pair has stretched only an inch in the waist, and maybe half an inch in the thigh area. a little of the weird knee bulge going on. worn for a year, dry cleaned once.

again, cant vouch for the new shit, but that's my experience with their other jeans.

so, i went and tried both the S-000 and S-0002 on today, and as i knocked

back yuenglings a few hours ago at a party, i had this severe internal dialogue, trying

to decide if i should post about them or not. i'm going to err on the side of 'what the hell are you thinking?' and go for it. if anyone has any concerns about my intentions, keep them to yourself... you'll never understand how much you ruined my personal life for a few days, and if you do it again, i swear on the graves of my forefathers that i will stalk and kill you and post youtube videos of your executions in supertrash. :D

You ruined it yourself.

I know why the price on these jeans were hiked, onemancult related damage control cost Uniqlo a LOT.

This was just too good to pass up.

damn, they doubled the price compared to asia. It's still a good deal,though.

Hopefully they fade decently

Not really doubled, at 4,999 yen and remember they pay near to no import tax from China since the fabric originates in Japan. Shipping to the U.S. would be at least 3x as much and add on 15% for tariffs plus they always tack on 10-15% for a variable exchange rate. But yeah they should come in around $65 but I guess they got some other overhead or they just need to make up for slacking sales...??

Thank you Uniqlo and Superfuture for keeping this thread open and allowing further discussion to go ahead unmolested.

I've always perceived Uniqlo as a 'people's brand' and in particular was full of admiration for their previous selvedge jeans as being in the true spritit of the blue collar working class origins of denim jeans.

The USP of cheap (and they are still cheap even after the apparent price hike in the USA), quality selvedge jeans, in a modern cut is compelling.

For those of us lucky enough to be able to purchase at the Asian prices, I'd consider them a double bargain :)

Nice touch with the burr rivets and chainstitched hems by the way.

OneManCult - shame to see you put through the mangle somewhat recently. Good to see you back after your contemplations, posting with your natural voice. Forgive the observation that, unburdened by the technobabble, you sound far more convincing than the previous ventriloquism ;)

I agree with you entirely that even for selvedge snobs, the Uniqlos should make a great pair just to have around, if nothing more than to see just how good cheap jeans can be. And for those wanting to experiment with bleach, sandpaper, starch and a dremmel, then the financial commitment is minimal.

horriblyjolly--

i did my best to balance my personal feelings, my reputation as a member of the forum, and my perspective as a member of the ss superfuture crew. i was put in a precarious situation because of a few variables, all of which were mostly out of my control.

the ruining came from certain people on this board that enjoy putting on airs, pretending they are perfect gentlemen, and yet, fueled childish and unnecessary personal attacks on me, all the while complaining about swear words* and propriety and ethics, when they themselves lack the moral foresight to understand the professional and personal ramifications of their actions because they traded knowledge of social graces in for encyclopedic understanding of pieces of metal hammered into sheets of fabric.

4vod0mv.jpg

*cuntfucking faggotswallowing assraping babylips spread wide for my meatcock, incestshit whoresandwich, hold the cummayo. anuspie.

had to return the sample pair to uniqlo wednesday, actually--

maybe PM the guy who picked up a pair a few posts back?

from trying them on, i'll say that the s-002 in a size 31 will fit you just fine.

my thigh measurement is pretty close to yours. 22ish.

its supertrash. it doesnt affect anyone, or anything. its a one-line exercise in exorcising my stress. stop overblowing it, because i could totally blow the spot on

the little denim cabal that exists. for all this talk about conflicts of interest... heheheh.

my spies are efficient, mr. i joined just for the express purpose of the uniqlo thread.

how's your P&L statement this quarter?

hand-dipped by nakajima i say! 666 times!

is this a situation where you really need to goto the store to try these on to find the correct fit?

i recently bought a pair of gray 001s at the store in 31- that had a good fit...

can i stick with that or do i need to size differently if i want some 002s?

spaceman--

the 001, if i'm remembering correctly, is a slim straight fit?

these 0002s will be a little roomier in the thigh, with less of a taper than the s-001s,

and APC new standards. if you want a tighter fit, size down one-- but bear in mind that the waist might not stretch insane amounts. i definitely wouldn't recommend sizing up.

if youre interested in the skinny fit selvage -000, i would also suggest buying your size, unless you want them a little roomier, in which case, size up. but again, bear in mind, these won't shrink, because they're pre-treated.

all in all, waist sizes are true to fit, no shrinkage, hopefully minimal stretching out...

i'm going to see if i can try to produce some dedicated measurements by the top of next week.