Sufu cell phone buying guide. What's really good?

homi29

I don't have an android phone. Sadly Rogers only has garbage ones / Xperia X10 which I don't want.

If you're upgrading your phone to 2.2 though I don't think it will have a huge effect on battery life unless you turn on the wifi hotspot function.

The nexus 1 is the only phone that can get 2.2 at this point. I had to do a manual install.

I haven't been using it long enough to say anything about battery life, but there are a few little tweaks that make the whole OS seem a little more polished. Hopefully t-mobile doesn't block tethering and wifi hotspot. Everything is more responsive too. Great update.

I got my hands on one of the developer editions of the Evo 4g which I am using to post with right now. The phone is amazing and the best that Sprint has to offer on the 3g/4g front by a longshot. The phones has its flaws but most of the reviews warned me of this already and they won't stop me from keeping it.o

Plus sense and Android is blazing fast on this and a win. I hear froyo is rooted already but not yet released, hopefully by release date.

what do you think of the size and battery life? sucks that CA doesnt have 4G yet

The size is perfect for me although I could see it being a problem for people with small hands. My hands are by no means big, but smaller then average and it could be hard to type when the phone is landscaped.

Battery life is excellent so far I can go through a whole day on one charge with moderate use, good enough for daily use. If anyone has a problem with not enough battery I'm sure an after market higher capacity battery would be a good fix.

I does suck that there's no 4g but I have to say this phones 3g is faster then even an iPhone or BB. Also, developers edition evos get exempt from the $10 evo tax so i don't mind either way.

Can you fit the Evo in your pocket? We supposedly have 4g in Austin. Makes the phone tempting. But I don't want an ipad in my front pockets all the time.

I wear a pair of April77s most of the time and they have really small pockets. The evo still fits in them, but it tends to slip out of my pockets when I'm sitting down. I think a large part of that is due to the fact that I don't have any case on it yet, the phone is slippery and smooth in my hands too. Some cases like the invisible shield should add a nice grip.

Whenever someone sees me using the evo they keep saying "damn, that things huge". It is a really big phone but I've had no real issues with the size and I love the screen.

BTW you can check your 4g coverage at www.clear.com. I think you need to be 15-20 miles within a major city covered by 4g to receive it.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see all the Android love in this thread. I've been a stubborn BlackBerry user for the last 2 years, but finally saw the light. I ordered my HTC Incredible on the 3rd, and am starting to get really fucking antsy now. Apparently mines not going to ship until the 24th. :(

What do you all think of the Droid X? I do like the bigger screen and the phone does look more solid than the Incredible. If it comes out in July as it's rumored I may have to check it out.

motorola-droid-x.jpg

Method - have you noticed any screen separation?

Sadly, yes. It's pretty hard to try and see the difference but I can tell because the amount of light bleeding out of the bottom on my phone is more then before. It's under HTC's 1 year warranty but I'm not sure how they will be handling the situation. On the evo forum I visit it seems like the problem is only affecting a handful of units though.

Any recommendations for a new phone?

Currently carrying a Sony Ericsson W580i and I am do for an upgrade anytime. Didn't see any phones I liked over the counter and because I do not text/email a lot via mobile phone, iPhone nor anything of the likes really appeal to me.

Anyone got pointers for a simple phone similar to the W580i?

Currently do not have a budget but I am assuming that something in the realms outside of text/data plans will cost less.

• 2 weeks later...
my trackball just broke after only 9 months so I personally think going from 9000 -> 9700 is smart.

Pretty much one of the only reasons I plan on upgrading (and a better camera) I hate it when the trackball sticks. But I may just give the android a try when I hit up the mall today

• 1 month later...

has anyone bought a samsung captivate / galaxy S?

i'm thinking of getting this instead of iphone 4

the only issue is that android doesn't have an official skype app

are there inexpensive ways to make international calls (landline and mobile) on android phones? does truphone work well? how's the call quality compared to the iphone version of skype?

i was playing with my brothers captivate. same processor as the evo but its been tested to run faster. really nice phone. not sure about the skype abilities on it though. i thought i saw a skype icon on his phone but maybe not

Check out the HTC Aria.

Just got this and while I'm happy that I've run into absolutely no problems, I sorta wish I went into something a bit bigger. I was a bit turned off by the size of the Evo but when I ordered Aria off Amazon I was a bit unprepared at how much smaller it is. If you got big fingers the keypad might be a problem.

Also I kind of wish I waited for a Samsung Captivate because it supports xvid and a bunch of other codecs right out of the box. With other current phones you have to convert your vid files which is a biiiiiitch.

has anyone bought a samsung captivate / galaxy S?

i'm thinking of getting this instead of iphone 4

the only issue is that android doesn't have an official skype app

are there inexpensive ways to make international calls (landline and mobile) on android phones? does truphone work well? how's the call quality compared to the iphone version of skype?

android def. has an official skype app now.

as far as using cheap int'l calls, you can use skype or gizmo5 + sipdroid

just got a droid and am looking for a hardcase to protect it. the camera lens sits further out than the rest of the phone so its subject to scratches and i dont like that. im looking for a case that wont get stuck in my pocket when i take it out and all these cases like the seidio innocase are made out of silicone plastic or some shit. is that going to get stuck in my pocket? anyone got one?

innocase

http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/csr3hddn-bk.htm

im also looking at this case mate case

http://www.case-mate.com/HTC-Droid-Incredible-Cases/Case-Mate-HTC-Droid-Incredible-Tough-Cases.asp

thanks in advance