Lee Japan denim

crownzip

I have been having a browse at the web catalogues and it appears that the collabs (Lee/RMC or Wrangler/RMC) have become RMC products.

If RMC are licensed to make denim for Lee then why would these items not just remain as Lee?

Eg This is described as The Real McCoys cowboy jacket. small print Lee WWII

mj12151_1.jpg

I believe Edwin produce directly for Lee Japan whilst both Real McCoys and Warehouse are licensed to produce by Lee Japan, so they can effectively produce the same model but the naming is slightly different to differentiate the products. Does that make sense?

Maynard,

101S - slim, button fly, sometimes also in "rider" version (with back pockets placed higher)

101Z - standard, zip fly

101L - logger

101B - buckle (cowboy jeans)

and 101J - jacket

Edited by no-svg

I dont venture into this thread very often and know little about Lee denim so apologies if this is a stupid question but..

These are made by The Real McCoys with a rare right hand twill. They are an RMC product but obviously a Lee repro i have never seen an exact copy of a pair of jeans made by a different company before with permission/license.

Why are they an RMC product opposed to a Lee and why did Lee not make them for themselves.

mp12151_2.jpg

http://global.rakute...e/item/mp12151/

Lee - or rather VF corporation, who own the brand - actually license out all their product in Japan, I believe. Edwin are the main Lee franchisees. I think there might be other people who license odd bits, for instance kids' clothes. Some of the other Lee operations are joint ventures. I would guess that Real McCoy did a deal to license the design, but agreed to market the product using their own name, rather than Lee, so as not to tread on Edwin's toes.

That's their WWII repro, as far as I know RHT is correct for that time frame. Warehouse's version is RHT too.

http://www.whw.jp/wa...0/20121001.html

I google unsuccessfully: Is there some clear info on when Lee used LHT- which they're renown for- and when RHT, e.g. from 1930-1944 RHT, before and after LHT?

Edited by indigoeagle

• 4 months later...

Some pics of my Lee 205's. Got them in Japan around the time the James Dean collection came out, they were marketed as a skinny version of the 101z's (not sure how true that is but anyway). I needed a skinny pair so I picked these up even though they weren't selvege because I loved the cut, colour and fit.

Worn regularly for almost 4 years with at least 2 years everyday wear, no wash. Probably left it a bit too long, but I loved them so much that I just didn't want them to change. Sized down 2 sizes to a 29W and they busted my balls for a good month or more but eventually stretched out to a fantastic snug fit.

I love these jeans...

They're submerged in warm soapy water atm for a light wash and soak, but here's some pics I took beforehand:

(First pic is a bit blurry but I only realised after the jeans went into the water, so too late to take a second pic)
9508266084_5082658ae7_z.jpg

9505444435_33e93a1509_z.jpg

9505461945_50f11ec65f_z.jpg

9508265872_4a1c05cc4b_z.jpg

9508242972_d55c4a6c13_z.jpg

Will update with post-soak pics when they're dry.

• 8 months later...

kiya, on 04 Jan 2009 - 8:07 PM, said:

I wasn't able to get a straight answer out of Hitoshi as to why every one of the "sanforized" versions shrink just like the unsanforized versions.

He said they're not supposed to shrink, but they shrink about 1.5" in the waist and almost a full 3" in the length.

slowdownarthur, on 27 Apr 2009 - 6:08 PM, said:

Just to continue the love for Lee, here's my (Edwin) 1934 101s after about 5 washes and roughly 6 months wear. I tried to get all the shrinkage I could. as Fardin says, they come up pretty big.

Crash - regards stretching, I think they do a bit but mostly I've been pleased at how much they've shrunk overall.

I went for W34 but these really measured at least 36" when I first got them. I could have sized down to W32 . These pics are post wash and they now measure 34". And fit fine.

I'll post this here as well as in the SMALL QUESTIONS thread, does anybody have direct experience of the Lee Japan 101B Jeans Cinch Back 1934 - Dry? They seem to be very much oversize for something that is supposed to be Sanforized and shrink no more than 3%? Thanks.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=120

^very nice Paul. I seem to remember reading you say something like 'dirt is the secret to good fades'.

^^

I'll post this here as well as in the SMALL QUESTIONS thread, does anybody have direct experience of the Lee Japan 101B Jeans Cinch Back 1934 - Dry? They seem to be very much oversize for something that is supposed to be Sanforized and shrink no more than 3%? Thanks.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=120

I still have the Edwin/Lee 101B 1934 cinchbacks. They're pretty much oversized and I think mine measure 18" in the waist laid flat even though they're a W34.

At the time I was pleased they'd shrunk but they do tend to stretch out. Depends what kind of fit you want.

The people at Aero (if that's where you're thinking of buying them) are very helpful and will advise.

I still have the Edwin/Lee 101B 1934 cinchbacks. They're pretty much oversized and I think mine measure 18" in the waist laid flat even though they're a W34.

At the time I was pleased they'd shrunk but they do tend to stretch out. Depends what kind of fit you want.

The people at Aero (if that's where you're thinking of buying them) are very helpful and will advise.

Thanks man, you just helped me make up my mind...

and save some money. :D :D :D

Edited by 501XX4EVER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Cool to see this bumped, and to see the Lee love!

It's not Lee Japan, but Lee Europe, but after about five months of actual wear, I took some photos of my Lee 101S in 5 dips denim. These suckers are stubborn, so there's no good whiskers or honeycombs to mention yet. The light outside hasn't been agreeable lately, forgive me:

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-05%20at%2011.52.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-05%20at%2011.50.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-05%20at%2011.47.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-05%20at%2011.49.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-05%20at%2011.56.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd share my Lee Japan Stormrider. I've had this for a few years and wear it on & off, however the fact that it's blanket lined makes it an absolute bugger to fade or look worn in, either that or I just sit on my arse too much.

V2Vpafjl.jpg?1

Fit pic / posing:

ZgzA7ex.png?1

Detail pics:

I know that Lee Japan stuff has been made by various other companies over the years but I've always struggled to find out who made this other than the below clue. I'm not sure whether the license referred to below is just to Lee Japan or someone else. If anyone has any ideas or any hints for anything to look for please let me know.

iAjlVLAm.jpg?2

KwhFnHWm.jpg?1

Union label inside chest pocket:

TkyueFGm.jpg?1

Edited by unders

Cheers Hogg, I'll have a look into these for some more info. I recall emailing the website I purchased it from at the the time and their response was pretty high-level, not sure if they realised Lee Japan would have been made by other brands.

P.s - your links aren't doing my wallet any favours, just seen a kids archive riders jkt which the lad could do with for his birthday.

It is a bit complicated.

lee japan(edwin) sometimes work together with other companies like warehouse or realmccoys.

the first picture below is warehouse x lee 101Z and the second picture is realmccoys x lee 101J. 

wl_zpsha4atknf.jpg

rl_zpsdkdwxjn1.jpg

Both says "edwin", so we cannnot know whether it is collaboration or edwin alone from the label (not always though).

we sometimes need to take a closer look at needle work, fabric, union ticket, etc.

Edited by kameidaclub