Lee Japan denim

crownzip

I think the Edwin-made Lee repros are great value for money, in Japan at least- these jeans are capable of excellent fades. But watch out for the sizing, it's all over the place - and AFAIK the so-called Sanforized models do shrink.

Shikimayatu, only just seen your note - I didn't do anything special with those jeans, just wore them heavily.

I wasn't able to get a straight answer out of Hitoshi as to why every one of the "sanforized" versions shrink just like the unsanforized versions.

He said they're not supposed to shrink, but they shrink about 1.5" in the waist and almost a full 3" in the length.

I think the Edwin-made Lee repros are great value for money, in Japan at least- these jeans are capable of excellent fades. But watch out for the sizing, it's all over the place - and AFAIK the so-called Sanforized models do shrink.

Agreed. Here are my 101Z, about 3 years old, washed three times (no flash, no contrast or colour adjustment).

14jyz37.jpg

1268pon.jpg

Not a lot happening to it unfortunately. I've decided to put all my time into the Dope & Drakkars until summer. Then I was thinking of wearing my Hawaiis for this summer so I dont know when they'll see real wear. Oh well I'm not in any hurry really :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in getting some Lee's that are as close to the Levi '47 as possible. I was looking at the '52 101z's on Cultizm. Is that a good choice? Are those the Edwin's? Any sizing problems to be aware of? How about shrinkage? There was a post about one of the Lee repro's shrinking as if they weren't really sanforized.

Yeah, those 52s are Edwin Lees. And as far as I know the 50s models are the slimmest of the Edwin Lees. My 1936 Hair-on-hide ran about 2-3 sizes larger in the waist than tagged. They did shrink a bit from a hot soak though. I believe all the Edwin Lees run large in the waist, so it's best to size down. This place has some pretty thorough measurements for all the models.

• 4 weeks later...

i still want to post this here , although i have posted the info in the buddy lee thread.

lee japan has an extended ARCHIVES series. it was called lee origials for some times, or lee vintage.

apart from some nice lee jeans we have already discussed here or in the lee appreciation thread like the 55 101B with half sefledge, the 1930s 131 cowboy, and 100 westerner, they also have a western shirt again, and specially some nice work clothe they got famous for, up front the UNION ALL in denim and hickory stripes.

there is also a new 1930s jean jacket in right hand denim, plus the westerner jacket.

just check their site

www.lee-japan.jp and click on archives

as far as i know real vintage does not really exit anymore, an some of the pieces where made in china before, so maybe thats the reason for the change in sizing. i wonder who in japan buys them, cause the pant sizes are really big now , hahaha

I'm interested in getting some Lee's that are as close to the Levi '47 as possible. I was looking at the '52 101z's on Cultizm. Is that a good choice? Are those the Edwin's? Any sizing problems to be aware of? How about shrinkage? There was a post about one of the Lee repro's shrinking as if they weren't really sanforized.

There are two models to consider . The Lee Euro 1966 or the current Japanese 1952 101z .I have both. The 1952 is more historically accurate in terms of detailing and woukd be my preference .

The 1966, raw they are 1 inch oversize at waist and leg . The wiast is a pain to get down to tag size so best go a size down . The leg shrinks to tag size .

The current 1952 101z , they are overesized by 2 inches at the waist . I recently exchanged a pair of w34 for w32 . The w32 measure 17 inches across at the waist when laid flat . I warm soaked them in a bath but didnt wet the waist , just a precaution . The legs shrink about 2 inches initially , remember they start at L36/37 .

The denim on the current 1952 is differnt from previous models in look and feel , it seems to be the same as the Lee Euro 1966 (japanese denim but assembled in Poland) I like both but the 1952 , downsized , is fantastic .

There are two models to consider . The Lee Euro 1966 or the current Japanese 1952 101z .I have both. The 1952 is more historically accurate in terms of detailing and woukd be my preference .

The 1966, raw they are 1 inch oversize at waist and leg . The wiast is a pain to get down to tag size so best go a size down . The leg shrinks to tag size .

The current 1952 101z , they are overesized by 2 inches at the waist . I recently exchanged a pair of w34 for w32 . The w32 measure 17 inches across at the waist when laid flat . I warm soaked them in a bath but didnt wet the waist , just a precaution . The legs shrink about 2 inches initially , remember they start at L36/37 .

The denim on the current 1952 is differnt from previous models in look and feel , it seems to be the same as the Lee Euro 1966 (japanese denim but assembled in Poland) I like both but the 1952 , downsized , is fantastic .

Thanks, good info!

Lee Japan did an amazing job reproducing their classic 40's hickory stripe dungarees a few years back. They really nailed the Lee house mark label, rivets and correct weight and color hickory stripe denim. Mine are over five years old and still going strong with a couple of washes.

Leefront.jpg

Leeback.jpg

great work pants grant.

and the new 1930s lee work pants in duck or denim even have the old house mark tag inside.

chuck o i would also add the 1959 101b to the list, and i bet the new 1955 101b could have a similar cut as the 47 levis

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of limited editions, can anyone shed any light on these 101Z jeans that I picked up for a steal on eBay?

The seller's blurb read:

"This is collectors item. LEE 101z 1952's Model denim . 14.5oz japanese OKAYAMA denim mede in japan, This is early 90s Japan limited edition model. it's only 1500 pair Dead stock with wooden box."

For £50, I'm not bothered if they're limited edition or not, but was curious...

dscf2013.jpg

dscf2014.jpg

And the fit...I couldn't resist the tee, apologies for both that and the picture quality! :D

dscf2010y.jpg

dscf2006.jpg

I am pleased to see that the they found a good new home. I was actually planning on bidding on them (a lot actually), but my internet connection went down, so I couldn't bid on them. But I actually don't need new denim, so all good.

They fit you very well btw.

The seller seems to know a fair share about heritage clothing, so I am guessing that the info is correct. But what's up with the stitching on the Lee patch?