THOUGHTS ON DAVE WHITE...

iv

I guess if you consider it Still Life...?

I dunno, I've always felt uneasy about art based on sneakers. Mainly because..well..they're sneakers! Especially Nike and Adida art - considering the subjects are corporate, mass-produced, commercial items. It's like painting different Panasonic TV's over and over again, in different colors and styles. I feel the same way about kids on Niketalk who take photos of their sneakers as if it's artistic photography - but the photographer's not really capturing anything. The aesthetic beauty of the shoe isn't derived from the photographer's work, it's generated by the actual designer of the sneaker itsef.

That probably doesn't make sense, but whatever. Weird.

EDIT: I wasn't aware he had non-sneaker-related art also. So my comments above are only based on the sneaker-stuff I've seen.

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

Edited by bobbyhundreds on Jul 19, 2005 at 04:56 PM

Edited by bobbyhundreds on Jul 19, 2005 at 04:56 PM

Personally - I don't like his stuff. On a positive note, I think there's a lot of energy in the work. But I think each piece looks like a "crash". We used to draw sneakers at school as part of art homework (11-16) with a 2B pencil - they remind me of this. I suggest a piece of fruit and a squashed coke can to hang next to a AF1 in the corridoor of the school art department.