usa :: hawaii :: general

comaeternal

bumping this up for a bit of info. I'm headed to Hawaii in a couple months; Big Island, Oahu, Maui and Kauai. Looking to track down stores to check out while I'm out there. I'm pretty familiar with Kauai, but would be stoked on recommendations for the other 3. I have a bunch of time, so down to see skate, street, better contemporary...pretty much everything. I heard Aloha Rag and Leilow closed? I know there's a ton of core surf shops, but any more interesting ones are still on the radar to check out. If anyone's in HI, it looks like I'm headed there in early Jan, around the 4th-17th or so. Maybe connect, grab a beer and jump in the water or something. Thanks in advance for the info!

I don't know what kind of style you are into but I have a few recommendations for Oahu

I suppose the most happening / "hipster" area of town are Kakaako and Downtown. There are some artsy / hole in the wall / trendy coffee shops and restaurants in those areas. HNL Night Market that's hosted in Kakaako every month is nothing to write home about. 

If you have a Japanese book store nearby, I highly suggest that you pick up the May 2013 issue of Popeye - City Boy's Style Guide to Hawaii. 61xrjHH2JML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

With that said, shopping spots are sort of scattered throughout town. Here's a few that I think are pretty dope-ish

1) Kalakaua Ave - There's a bunch of European Designer stores. There's a Saint Laurent store that stocks mens. Leathersoul Hawaii in Royal Hawaiian Shopping center has collabo Aldens and other Americana type of things. I think they have a new store in downtown as well. 

2) The block near Walmart - Kicks / HI is worth looking at, I think. There are some other streetwear stores on the same block / nearby. There's a Boxing (sport) inspired streetwear store nearby as well. 

3) Alamoana shopping center - Nothing really here to see but there's Saks and Balenciaga here. Shirokiya has a book-off. If you want to cop some Japanese books or magazine, it's a decent spot. On the second store of the mall, next to Quicksilver or T&C, there's a skateshop that stocks lots of limited edition Volcom, Nike SB and etc. 

4) Kahala mall - Nothing here to see. There's a big whole foods here. I think it's worth checking out if you are in HI for a little while. They have a lot of local produce and Hawaiian food in the deli section. Also, lots of shopping WF bags with Hawaii logos. Makes good souvenirs for KAGs and CWGs. There's a ridiculous Sandal store that sells nothing but sandals and slippers here. 

5) APB - Probably the coolest shop in town. It's in Chinatown and the area gets really sketchy after like 5PM. They have all kinds of "quickstrike" type of skate shoes and skateboarding accessories that I haven't seen on the mainland. Their buy is really good and they stock dope skate shoes and snapbacks. Lots of Adidas SB on sale (not even shitty ones. they got Busenitz and Campus Vulc for like ~50 bucks in great colors.) I picked up a Chocolate x APB anniversary tee here. 

6) Outlet - there's an outlet mall near Pearlcity(I think). They have a Barney's outlet. I think it's really a hit or miss. Kuya Jmatsu stumbled upon some Saturdays there. When I went, it was pure garbage.

7) Ward Center - There's a Japanese bookstore and Island Slipper Flagship. This place is pretty chill and not mobbed by Japanese tourists. There's a craft beer store here so you could grab some singles and take them to Ala Moana beach park (I think drinking on the beach is technically illegal in Hawaii even if you are drinking canned beer)

If you are with a girl, you should check out Lanikai. They have a lot of independent stores and boutiques that cater to women (especially JBZs). Nothing for brus. Well, there's a pretty good Island Snow. 

Kuya Jmatsu and I went to Home Bar a lot. 

Edited by herpsky

I visited Kicks/Hi while I was in Oahu earlier this year. They had a really large selection of stuff I wasn't expecting, the most notable I guess being Missoni Converse and both colors of the Inventory x Converse collab in a lot of sizes. The guys working were really nice too, gave me 10% off my purchase just because. It's worth checking out.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been to it a couple of times. I don't know if I can call it good. The quality of the vendors is just ok. Mind you I'm not the type who buys independent / etsy stuff.

I guess all the "scenesters" from the Island show up but it's mostly like high school kids.

• 11 months later...

i worked in hawaii for a couple of months. the locals said that the shrimp trucks that are parked kinda close the entrance of the turtle bay resort are far superior. Forgot the name of the place but that sandwich+smoothie joint near the patagonia store in Haleiwa was pretty good.

Edited by herpsky

i worked in hawaii for a couple of months. the locals said that the shrimp trucks that are parked kinda close the entrance of the turtle bay resort are far superior. Forgot the name of the place but that sandwich+smoothie joint near the patagonia store in Haleiwa was pretty good.

thanks! will keep that in mind, will be staying in north shore for a week