Style Inspiration

Kodak

I'd love to come in here one day and post what people are actually wearing in relation to their "style inspiration." 90% of the people posting up severe mod outfits / futuristic regalia probably went outside today in skinny jeans and vans.

To be honest, what's wrong with that? I aspire to a severe, East Berlin circa early 80s minimal look, but since I go to college, work long hours, and commute by bicycle, I really can't get the look i want, because a) I can't afford it, (no balla status) and B) it wouldn't fit in where I live/work. Similarly, other people may be constrained by locale, money, social stigma or otherwise, but still hunger for a much finer style and higher inspiration.

I think Sidney Lo posted a link in his blog about the disparity between the aesthetic one appeals to, as opposed to the current aesthetic one has, and the simple fact that it takes years to cultivate such a refined approach. While that was applied to photography, I believe it is still relevant even when applied to fashion inspiration, and in conclusion, even if they don't look like what they want to, the fact that they aspire to such ideals is still cool in my book. :)

To be honest, what's wrong with that? I aspire to a severe, East Berlin circa early 80s minimal look, but since I go to college, work long hours, and commute by bicycle, I really can't get the look i want, because a) I can't afford it, (no balla status) and B) it wouldn't fit in where I live/work.

So what you're saying is that there are excuses to not dress the way that you want to. I'm absolutely fine with that and am totally sympathetic - however, in saying that, you're literally admitting that these images not only do not but can not "inspire" your current style. It makes this whole thread an exercise in finding cool pictures rather than things that are literally useful in determining your style or its actual inspirations.

I don't really mind or care that much if people do choose to do so, I simply think it's sort of an absurd exercise.