Denim Stores In Australia

Invisible

^ Great price on the Rats shirts! Grabbed a couple myself.

What are the denim chinos on the bottom right?

I'm pretty sure they're Red Cloud.

Saw some of the Red Cloud pants at Godspeed a few weeks ago - just gorgeous. It's one of the best looking stores around, as well as carrying some really interesting stuff. And nice people. 

Yeah, best space out of the major denim stores in Melbourne.

Next year will be super cool. Introduced Marty to one of my fav leathercrafters - hopefully some high end leathers will be stocked next year.

• 2 months later...

Hey, any Melbourne denim heads going to Weaving Shibusa at ACMI? 

The last screening on 11th March is followed by a panel discussion in the evening - guys like Marty from Godspeed and Ant from Anthill Workshop will be speaking. 

1 hour ago, mikecch said:

Hey, any Melbourne denim heads going to Weaving Shibusa at ACMI? 

The last screening on 11th March is followed by a panel discussion in the evening - guys like Marty from Godspeed and Ant from Anthill Workshop will be speaking. 

I'm going! 

Pretty awesome night for Melbourne's denimheads!

DI7STwJ.jpeg

Hosted by James Nolen of ACMI. Featuring (left to right): James, Marty from Godspeed, Nick from Denham Jeansmaker, Chris from Pickings & Parry and Ant from Anthill Workshop.

N0hBE0h.jpeg

Left to right: Marty, Nick, James, Ant and Chris.

NXOX10t.jpeg

Denim banners, Nick's awesome collection of Buddy Lee dolls, Marty's very nicely worn Japanese denim collection and some Denham jeans and items.

Lf4ysB6.jpeg

It was interesting to hear about how these guys got started on their denim journey, all of them coming from different backgrounds as far as denim and men's clothing go.

FaWrxZX.jpeg

Marty's very nicely faded Iron Heart jeans from around 10 years ago.

9J2nzhv.jpeg

Very happy to be able to attend such an event and see such a great gathering - this would have been impossible in Australia even just 5 years ago.

pbUYA9h.jpeg

Ant's fantastic work on a denim jacket!

MwjVqNP.jpeg

Some of Ant's vintage sewing machines - you'd have seen better photos of these elsewhere on my indigoshrimp blog.

^ Yeah, Ant has the repair workshop called Anthill. I put up some photos earlier in this thread. 

Well, 5 years ago, none of the people on the panel were in the denim business in Melbourne. We could have had a small denimhead gathering, yes, but nothing that would receive recognition from ACMI or VAMFF. Certainly nothing that would have enough reach to influence the mainstream at all. That's only my opinion though... 

• 1 month later...

I think this belongs here: http://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/04/11/jeans-customize-levis-antihill-workshop/

This is Ant from Anthill Workshop in Melbourne. He does denim customisations and repairs, and you can find him at Pickings & Parry or the Melbourne Central Levi's store. He's a genuine guy who loves what he does and he's really excellent at it. I've gotten my jeans repaired by him in the past, and I believe I've seen @mikecch get his jeans tapered there.

His Instagram is @anthill.workshop, which you can check out!

34 minutes ago, mikecch said:

Heads up for Aussie denim folks: Godspeed will be the official stockist of The Real McCoy! 

This is yuuuuuuge.

Eyyy, I still remember talking about RMC and you mentioning some potential accounts that were being opened. Hopefully they carry the good stuff. (Or at least what I consider good haha!)

^ Lol, yeah, wasn't allowed to say at the time. ^_^

I think with RMC stocking it will initially be limited to more affordable and casual pieces, with the more expensive or esoteric garments being special orders.

At least that's what I think Marty has planned for the RMC launch night anyway - people can come in, look at the catalogue and get some custom orders underway.

that is a shame!  Just about the only denim store I feel comfortable browsing around, been there a few times and have bought more from there than anywhere else in the past couple of years (not saying much, as I've not had the budget to buy new lately).  The location isn't good for passing trade, it's more of a "destination"... and if you weren't going to buy clothes you'd be going to the pub, which doesn't always mix.  And okisan is a good guy, definitely.

On 17/04/2017 at 8:07 PM, mikecch said:

At least that's what I think Marty has planned for the RMC launch night anyway - people can come in, look at the catalogue and get some custom orders underway

@mikecch l was referring to this part. If a brick and mortar store don't stock certain items that you can try before you buy. And provide you with a catalog to browse to place an order. That is the bit that l don't get.

@BlackPig

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. 

My understanding is that, due to a variety of market and financial reasons, there won't be a full range of items at this early stage. RMC is a bit more expensive compared with the the average heritage or denim brand too. 

Not entirely sure about all the details, will update this thread When I know more. 

The Australian retail scene is pretty tough. The largest independent chain here in Sydney has closed down.

Now with Great Southern Denim gone, there are fewer stores pushing interesting brands. 

As a shop owner, I would love to stock everything that a brand did. However, the reality is that this is simply not possible.

My advice to people is to support their local stores, go in and talk to the owners and let them know what they want. 

They are more likely to stock things if they know there is a viable market. 

13 hours ago, mondo said:

that is a shame!  Just about the only denim store I feel comfortable browsing around, been there a few times and have bought more from there than anywhere else in the past couple of years (not saying much, as I've not had the budget to buy new lately).  The location isn't good for passing trade, it's more of a "destination"... and if you weren't going to buy clothes you'd be going to the pub, which doesn't always mix.  And okisan is a good guy, definitely.

interesting. i had that on my list to visit when i was in sydney for a day and a half but the location was a little hard for me to get too in the end. wished i did visited them in feb now..

Just now, mikecch said:

^ What denim brands are they stocking? Their website just says Edwin and Carhartt. 

from memory
LVC, Tellason, Neuw, Sugarcane, Carhartt, Unbranded, Edwin, Denham, and some vintage denim as well

i may be missing some brands but I can find out.