BOOKS!

powerglov

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the Ben Mezrich books especially Ugly Americans...

as far as for an inspirational book check out the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. quick read and simple story. but it really hits home...

For fun, check out books by Bret Easton Ellis...American Psycho, Glamorama, Less than Zero, etc.

Anything by Dan Brown, it's not true, but it's a lot of fun to read

the chosen-by chaim potok, very good book about jewish culture in ny

robert ludlum- the bourne trilogy, all bourne books, very nice, you'll just keep reading and reading

at school we have to read stuff in latin class, plinius, plato, seneca, some of that stuff is pretty good to read, as well as homerus-ilias and odysseus in greek class, great stories, still a lot of fun to read.

i like Tolkien as well, his books are just classics and it's brilliant that he created this whole world

Animal Farm-George Orwell, a classic as well, good to read

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

My favorite books:

Girl With a Pearl Earring - Tracey Chevalier

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts

Einstein's Dreams - Alan Lightman

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis

Choke - Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club is good too)

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Books to read just for pure entertainment:

Dan Brown books

Harry Potter series

Steven King books

Other books i enjoyed:

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman

Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas

too many i dont remember... just read anything! they are all fun! READING IS POWER!

Quote:

robert ludlum- the bourne trilogy, all bourne books, very nice, you'll just keep reading and reading

at school we have to read stuff in latin class, plinius, plato, seneca, some of that stuff is pretty good to read, as well as homerus-ilias and odysseus in greek class, great stories, still a lot of fun to read.

i like Tolkien as well, his books are just classics and it's brilliant that he created this whole world

--- Original message by RobbertJan on Nov 13, 2005 10:49 AM

"anything by dan brown, its not true, but its alot of fun to read"

yeah, those books are so entertaining yet ive allways felt that those random facts about government conspiracies and illuminatus codes and all that shit is horribly untrue, btu the more false it is, the more i find them entertaining

chwa?

The best book I've read lately is a TRUE story about an Australian escaped convict who makes a new life for himself in Bombay with the Bombay underworld.

It's called SHANTARAM by Gregory David Roberts and it's worth all 933 pages (It's an epic)!

Shantaram is full of action, adventure and is very poetically and philosophically written. It's about love, sin and salvation. The most interesting thing is it's all true.

who really lives these kind of lives? WOW! Read it.

Another book which is really cool is Kill Kill Faster Faster by Joel Rose. It's like an episode of Miami vice. It's also a story about a criminal who is also a brillant writer (he killed his wife) He gets busted out of jail by a TV producer who needs him to help spice up his TV show. But then the criminal ends up having an affair with the producer's wife. The interesting thing about this book is the prose. It's like a tight poem from the ghetto.

The Rum Diaries-Hunter S Thompson I read this book on my holiday in Greece. It's about some loser journalists expatriated in Puerto Rico in The 50's. Brillantly written.

Carrie

http://www.seoulstyle.com/LizaWhoAmI.htm

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by RobbertJan on Nov 13, 2005 10:49 AM

"anything by dan brown, its not true, but its alot of fun to read"

yeah, those books are so entertaining yet ive allways felt that those random facts about government conspiracies and illuminatus codes and all that shit is horribly untrue, btu the more false it is, the more i find them entertaining

--- Original message by Corbin Law on Nov 13, 2005 04:02 PM

well actually, there is a certain historical background that is actually acurate in his books, brown studied lots of that history stuff, he just mixes it with some made-up stuff to keep it interesting or uses theories about historical stuff that are not well-known and not accepted by a majority of the community, but yeah it's a lot of fun to read, if you like him you should really read ludlum if you haven't already

''I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/i'm a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb/I am the world's forgotten boy/The one who searches and destroys''...James Jewel Osterberg

Kite runner by Khaled Hosseini

http://www.khaledhosseini.com

In this shattering story of betrayal and redemption set in war-torn Afghanistan, childhood friends grow up as close as brothers, but face dramatically different fates when one flees to America after the Soviet invasion and the other is left behind

Wealth is the heart of mind, not the pocket.

• 7 months later...
Guest ARCANGELO
A reflection on the Revolution in France

A philosopical enquiry into the origin of our ideas of the sublime and beautiful

Edmund Burke

--good shit man, good shit!!!

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Great choices. If you enjoy Nietzsche, you might want to read:

"For Marx" by Louis Althusser & "Miracles And Idolatry" by Voltaire.

(Karl Marx & Nietzsche had very similar views on religion and God / icons; i.e. "Religion Is The Opiate Of The Masses" & "The Idea Of God Must Be Destroyed")