Apple's new iMac

jabar

it's nice and all but i have no use for a mac.

i mainly use my computer to burn dvd's, download music, surf the internet, and do normal tasks and buying an overly expensive computer to do that with wouldn't be the smart thing to do. plus, i like the compatibility of a pc. no worries on having to learn a new O/S or figure out how i'm going to run this new program i downloaded.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not bad

but geez is everyone in here a mac fanboy?

Its just the product of extremely well marketing and quality to back them up. I think people should take Sony more into note because a lot of the 'innovation' we see in Mac products started with Sony. iSight; 'macbook keyboard'; glossy screens with LED backlight..Im not a fanboy of either company, just trying to give credit to where its due.

This is available in Aust now and i bought my girlfriend a 20inch imac just last week before the new version came out. that blows.

are they updating the macbook soon?

oh well, everyone knows that the first generation of any new product or updated product apple release has something wrong with it.

Love the price, I was just talking about getting a macbook because my cheapass laptop sucks, and that's all I have...but maybe I should just get this, and use the laptop only when portability is needed, which honestly isn't that often.

This is available in Aust now and i bought my girlfriend a 20inch imac just last week before the new version came out. that blows.

oh well, everyone knows that the first generation of any new product or updated product apple release has something wrong with it.

If you bought it from an Apple Store, I KNOW theres some stipulation where if you buy it within X Days/Weeks of a product update they'll hook you up.

You should go check it out.

This really puzzles me. Why would you want an annoyingly reflective screen?

I mean I know it's supposed to be all sleek and modern and shiny but surely functionality should come first?

The whole glossy/matte screen debate has been going on for a while. Especially with the option of either with the macbook pro. It's totally up to personal preference but the glossy screen does have more vivid colors and lighting. I personally love the glossy screen.

They probably wont be updating the macbook anytime soon since they just gave it a spec update earlier this year but theres also the release of Leopard to look forward to in October if all goes well.

Hmm

I'm not such a big fan of it. Though the price - quality ratio is really good.

Aluminum for that price? and good design.. that's a good thing.

It's not really groundbreaking (I think I expected too much) but yeah it's nice but i think the white ones do look better for some reason. And I don't like the glossy screen.

The back looks sexy though. All black + a tiny bit of aluminum. I think it would hvve been better if they used black dominantly and just used the aluminum as an accent. My 2 cents.

The matte screen represents color more accurately. So if your working with photos matte would be a better choice. The Glossy screen just makes the screen look more attractive but there is more reflection.

Not really true, if you calibrate your monitor properly and have appropriate ambient lighting you will get better color from a glossy screen. Since this is a desktop system you should be able to control your room lighting enough to keep reflections off the screen. For laptops I prefer matte though, since the ambient light is different everywhere you use it.

i personally like the new keyboard. i dunno how many of you use the old apple keyboard but they sucked, the construction on the key wasnt stiff and didnt have nice responsiveness to it. These macbook keys should be awsome. Apple always had a way of stepping out of the box, and 1,800 for a 2.8 ghz 24 inch display computer? Thats almost a bargain.

not really. I am a big mac fan but this really isnt that big of a "deal". If you want a deal, check out this dell bellow.

Inspiron 530 Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz Desktop + 22" LCD Monitor $699 shipped at Dell Home!

dell_inspiron530.jpgPickup the Inspiron 530 Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz Desktop with Dell E228WFP 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor for $699 with free shipping at Dell Home. DELL HOME

1. Click through to Inspiron 530 config page.
  2. Select Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6550 (4MB L2 Cache, 2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB) [add $100]
  3. Select 22" E228WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel [add $40]
  4. Uncheck Dell AIO 926 Printer [subtract $49]
  5. Enter coupon code 3SFX?88CB80QDD for $350 off $999.

Total: $1049 - $350 off coupon code = $699 shipped

- passwird.com

Apples are never really a deal and still arent. This is a good effort but IMO, for apple to really take over the windows market, they need to come out with something that really is a good deal compared with companies like dell, not itself and past products.

The thing is, apple has a standard of quality in its products, a great warranty, avaliablity of mac stores, and focus on aesthetics that its almost impossible to avoid the high prices.

btw its 2300 dollars without tax for the 24" 2.8 ghz.

1800 for 24" 2.4 ghz, which is more than double the dell deal posted above, and thats not including shipping and tax.

apple is still a luxury and will stay that way unless it sacrafices alot of quality, design, or features (think mac mini).

Hollaforadolla - You make some good points. Apple isnt a bargain, generally. They make quality hardware and it shows on its fit and finish. Apple is a luxury brand. You cant really compare Apple to Dell.

Sony compared to Apple is closer.

Apple and Dell are aimed at different markets.

Hmm

The back looks sexy though. All black + a tiny bit of aluminum. I think it would hvve been better if they used black dominantly and just used the aluminum as an accent. My 2 cents.

I also think this would look great but I think apple is predominantly trying to stick to the white/aluminum aesthetic since its such a trademark for them.

as these ship to stores, the apple online store will have a bunch of factory seconds for way cheaper.

i have an intel macbook that i got as a factory second when they started releasing them. the issue was my macbook flickers when switching from sleep to awake and from AC power to battery power, it does it for about a minute or two, for that easy to ignore issue i saved close to $400 after my student discount.

just sayin. Apple has bargains if you're willing to wait for them, plus all the one year old generation iMacs will be let go cheaper too.

How does the corp get a discount? Or does it?

I don't know dude. Virtually every corporation gets their employees some type of discount, whether it is at the noodle shop next door to the office or on a new Ford. I work in tech. central, so I imagine that Apple offers discounts to all the companies around here.