Yoyos, Yoyos, and Yoyos...

kiya

this is a project i have been working on for a bit. i wanted to make a yo-yo with a finite life-span. something that would play, but would not last, that would break down as you enjoyed it. something to play with and appreciate and not worry about how a ding would hurt the resale price.

i decided on making a wax freehand. it took me a few tries(and a few wicked burns) to get them right. they play well, like a light freehand. no response other than the walls of the yoyo and can handle a few layers of string in the gap. after an hour or so of play it really starts to warp, the string get stiff as hell, and the bearing gets caked full of wax. i love every second of it. nice side effect is that they make your hands nice and soft too.

here are a few pics of them.

in the mold

2616787629_190b294651.jpg

open mold

2617609336_059e55c465.jpg

fresh half

2617607580_144e70bb02.jpg

assembled yo-yo

2616785663_abd7cc7ee6.jpg

2616784617_2bdafae32b.jpg

guts

2617608598_95e21ce6bd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sauce1

sonny is my hero.

I want one. And i want another one...

to cast in investment, Burnout wax for several hours, Cast in silver or GOLD.

BLANG BLANG. I got a the stuff, a burnout furnace, vaccum seal, and all that. lets do it!

itll be heavy as hell.

just did a bearing clean on my 888, milk 2% and boltleg also resiliconed the boltleg. feels so much better because they were very responsive i couldnt finish tricks. i probably have to get new pads for the 888 though

is anyone here going to worlds? god damn it i wish i was going to new york.

I'm definitely going, and apparently we have a mutual acquaintance in one Mr. Peligroso. Send me a PM or something.

Anyone else going? It's like a two hour drive south from Gainesville for me so I'm definitely there, though I haven't been yoyoing that long so I'm not competing.

I'm also more than glad to help out with the event itself if volunteers or anything are needed.

• 3 weeks later...

You just twist the halves.

Counterclockwise will open the gap wider (less response, smoother play) and clockwise closes the gap (more response, grabbier play).

There's a sweet spot where it plays smooth but still responds the way you want it to. Should take you 5 minutes or so to get it dialed in.

oh hello yoyo booom!

did you guys see the best damn sports show special on worlds 2007 featuring steve brown? yayyyyy

haven't seen it yet. kiya has it dvr'd though, got to go over to his place to watch it.

anyone here going to the new york yoyo contest next week?

Jake brings heat as usual, Anti-Yo's CREAM:

Mhj6id4isYk

UNIQLO Presents The New York Yoyo Open

This Saturday, August 9th, in New York City will be the world's largest yoyo contest...

http://yoyoopen.com/

Taking place at South Street Seaport, Pier 17 (Fulton & South Streets, New York, New York 10038) at 11am (till 5pm..).

That's where the finalists (best of the best) will be. Moreover, there will be

performances, exhibitions, and such. Vendors Duncan and YoYoNation will be

selling yo-yo stuff.

UNIQLO is presenting the band PEELANDER Z -

http://www.myspace.com/peelanderz

My yoyo company's (Anti-Yo) entire competing team will be there.. including Simon Welch, the national UK champion and PAUUUUUUUUUUUUL HAAAAN, the international Korean playboy of yoyos.

The Self Edge crew will also be present for fit questions and advice on how long to soak your jeans and what brand of mineral water works best.

There are loads of people from Superfuture coming, the more the better...

See you there.

You should call the shop shortly after 7 pm EST the day of the screening, and ask for him. I'll just put him on the phone. ;)