fake selvedge

i've begun to see fake selvege jeans pop up in stores, namely karren millen (saw while waiting for my girl to browse). does this signify the beginning of selvege look being the next whiskered look? i mean, hell, if j crew is doing it now...

what will denim fiends latch onto next to stay ahead?

I was actually gonna mention something about this earlier...a lot of the jeans i'm seeing these days are doing coloured overstitching (at least, that's what i think it is) to mimick the selvedge look...club monaco's actually doing a dark denim jean with purple/red overstitching and coloured rivets...actually looks kinda nice, but I think i'll stick to real selvedge..

Edited by triniboy27 on Jul 15, 2005 at 11:08 AM

yes, hahnstch, that's what we're talking about.

I don't think it is so much about faking selvedge, since it is obvious to tell they are not real, even from several meters away. Instead, I think they are just trying to duplicate the clean look that a selvage outseam has.

Speaking of Marc Jacobs, I walked into the SF store today, found a nice knit shirt, and checked the price only to find that it was over $900! Damn....

I saw some fake selvage on Haight today but it looked pretty real. Not until you got up close to the model with the jeans on can you tell it was fake.

i'm actually rather partial to diesel's take on the outseams' finishes. they look like selvage from a distance, but upon closer inspection turn out to be just very well finished seams (w/ red threads). i think other than the outright fraud selvage Paul mentioned, these aren't bad afterall if they don't represent themselves as selvage jeans.

here's a sample from an old pair of diesel kratt

selvage.jpg

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

I think some of these Brands are not trying to fake a selvage as such, more using a busted seam for effect. Probably more on Womens Jeans it gives a flatter seam on the outside, not by much. Just a thought.

Quote:

I think some of these Brands are not trying to fake a selvage as such, more using a busted seam for effect. Probably more on Womens Jeans it gives a flatter seam on the outside, not by much. Just a thought.

--- Original message by andewhall on Jul 15, 2005 06:37 PM

Exactally right - i dont think the look is "faux selvedge" per say, rather a more finished look for womens jeans for the current trend of 12'' turnups. looks nicer than a rough chainstitch staring up at you like, someone said, "the satans sphinctor"?? lol

603935_m.JPG

"Today's peacock tomorrow's feather duster. "

Edited by deim23 on Jul 15, 2005 at 10:31 PM

I saw bird the other day with huge turn ups and they had pink bias binding over the seam that matched pocket detail etc. I must admit it looked better than the over locked busted seam

Some very high quality jeans are produced without the selvage, e.g. if you have a yard of selvage denim and you cut from the selvage and 1 inch into the fabric, you would still be left with the selvage denim just without the selvage. Follow me? :)

MAD YOUNG MAN

• 2 weeks later...