Uniqlo Vintage chinos vs. Gap (red) chinos

poly800rock

These look fucking great.

I tried on those Gap Reds, but they were too loose for my liking.

The Red jeans, however, I thought were fucking great. They were unpopular around here though.

I don't get the hype over those Uniqlos. Maybe they're too long in the photo, they look pretty baggy to me. I imagine they're a cheap fabric. The Gap ones look like they hold their shape better. But I'm not a fan of those flap pockets.

When you buy chinos, I recommend getting them one inch shorter than usual. You want a straight fit that'll show a bit of ankle, no bunching or stacking, and don't wear socks. Rolling past your ankle a bit looks alright, but not too much. Pair it with loafers, boat shoes, or slip ons (of the vans variety or some other)

Ralph Lauren makes some nice chinos as well, which are only sold on the website. Unfortuntely they seem to sell out of smaller sizes pretty quicky.

RL

pPOLO2-3568947_standard_v330.jpg

pPOLO2-3569079_standard_v330.jpg

pPOLO2-3568899_standard_v330.jpg

Junya for good measure

From the Sartorialist:

DMJuly.jpg

This looks atrocious. Color combination is offputting. Tie is too short. The rise on the trousers make him look like he is about 5 feet tall.

I don't particularly like socks in the summer myself, but seeing guys like these in the city make me wonder where the fuck they're going. The abbreviated pants/no socks look is meant for a beach/boat/country outting setting. It correlates to a functional purpose, much like a how golfers chose to flip their collars to keep the sun off their neck. The most outdoorsy place the douche in the photo is going to is crossing the street to goto Starbucks. All the "stylish young professionals lol" in the city who jumped on this wagon because they saw the look in a magazine are just one step past all the frat kids who can't stop popping their collars.

And chinos are not meant to be worn baggy and stacked....unless you're working at Footlocker.

Way to edit your first post to add the Junya stuff - which is really irrelevant, neither of those are the style of chino we are discussing. Anyway, great, you follow fashion blogs, you can regurgitate what you see on the Sartorialist. Well done.

And chinos are military pants - not "summer style pants." They can look good hemmed short without socks, but that is by no means they way they must be worn.

Why are those pictures irrelevant? They're photos of chinos in a thread about chinos. I appologize for opening your eyes to alternative styles to the original two that were posted. I also wanted to make a point at how similar RL and Junya (which has received a lot more hype) chinos look.

Why do you think I'm regurgitating anything? I just linked some photos. I also know the origins of the type of pant, you don't need to try and counterpoint everything I say. Not sure how this discussion got so antagonistic...

I like how you can slate the fabric of pants you've never seen in person. The "hype" about the Uniqlos is that they were exceptional value for $40 (including the fabric, which is great). No more no less.

I was making a guess as to why the pants folded/bunched so much in the photo. That's why I said "I imagine."

This looks atrocious. Color combination is offputting. Tie is too short. The rise on the trousers make him look like he is about 5 feet tall.

Well I think a high wasted pant looks sophisticated, and is a refreshing change of pace from the low rise look that is so popular with young adults. Not sure why you're so offput by the colors. I'm not as fond of pink as some Milanese men, but I think it definitely works for this guy. I don't think the tie is too short either, it goes to his belt.

I don't particularly like socks in the summer myself, but seeing guys like these in the city make me wonder where the fuck they're going. The abbreviated pants/no socks look is meant for a beach/boat/country outting setting. It correlates to a functional purpose, much like a how golfers chose to flip their collars to keep the sun off their neck. The most outdoorsy place the douche in the photo is going to is crossing the street to goto Starbucks. All the "stylish young professionals lol" in the city who jumped on this wagon because they saw the look in a magazine are just one step past all the frat kids who can't stop popping their collars.
The no socks look has been around for a while...I didn't know this was some sort of recent trend. Why is it so important to be at the beach or on a boat? It's not like socks have so much utilitarian function that they're needed on the street. This obviously isn't the type of look you'd wear into a board meeting. But more like a professional who works in a semi-casual environment.
And chinos are not meant to be worn baggy and stacked....unless you're working at Footlocker.
That's what I said.

Thanks for the tips, bud, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. All of the looks you posted looking pretty fucking gay to me. I think chinos look fresh sagged and stacked or rolled/cuffed a little.

Please allow me to use SuFu's very own TragicBliss.

I will second this and offer Selegna as another example.

The colour looks a little nicer on the Uniqlo's but it'd be unfair to judge it just from the photographs, so I will say that though I really like the detailling on the Gaps, I can't stand those flap pockets.

Hopefully Uniqlo will expand thier fledgling online service (or I'll get a chance to go to London).

Good thread Poly, it'd be nice to see more review/comparison type stuff around, like not just where can I buy and how much, but was it value for money once you bought it etc.

Not an entire outfit i could get away with wearing, but i really like the red junya watanabe look.

so finally got hold of these today in london,24.99 a pair black or beige certainly live up to the rep,

your speaking of the uniqlo pair right? i noticed them on the UK site in the original colors & also a black color. i hope they make their way to the nyc store again 'cause i wouldn't mind that black pair.

I bought a pair of slim fit chinos from J. Crew that I'm really happy with. Fit similar to the APC flat front trousers from s/s 07, if not more tapered. Smallest size they make is 30x30 (what I am), though. $60 with the student discount.

these the ones you talking about? also, what's up with the student discount?

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod83687301&catId=cat210054

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...