Spruce and Wings&Horns!!!!

djfischer

Quote:

Seeing as Steven Alan represents both lines in their showroom for the US, I would imagine that they will carry the line.

Richard Kidd (who actually designed Wings & Horns, don't know about Spruce) will no longer carry the lines since RK cut off his ties with the company. Lots of retailers are dropping the line - several have told me both lines are a disappointment compared to former seasons.

Caban had Spruce last F/W already. I don't see how that was a disaster for Spruce, which sold old pretty much everywhere. Quality is quality, and people who don't buy the hype can see that. CYC is a big operation with good QC. Exclusivity and quality are not equivalent.

--- Original message by LA Guy on Feb 15, 2006 07:24 PM

If I remember correctly, Spruce/W&H stopped being repped by S. Alan's showroom....

Dissapointment=new season? Cause I really liked last season...

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

s. alan no longer reps spruce ... don't know if they still stock it though.

i dont know about you guys, but somehow the fact that uppercut is sold on www.amazon.com really turns me off...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1/002-9652292-5921641?%5Fencoding=UTF8&keywords=uppercut&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Auppercut%2Ci%3Aapparel

would be interesting to know if the stuff is made by CYC though, since they're both from vancouver. does someone know more?

I got my information from CYC (about Caban stocking Spruce stuff) so I can't think of a more legit souce.

I got my info about the Richard Kidd connection first from a retailer which carried the S/S 2005 Wings & Horns stuff, who claims to have gotten that information from Steven Alan showroom. So that I cannot verify that claim directly, although I did talk to someone at Richard Kidd who verified that they were no longer associated with either brand and would not stock them anymore. It was unclear from that conversation whether the association was a creative one.

So, Steven Alan doesn't represent the labels anymore? I wonder who does. Anyone know?

Quote:

Far as I know Caban did stock Spruce but sold out fairly quickly. Prices range, jackets were in the $4 bill region, hoods $200, t's/long sleeves $100 or so if memory serves correct. Horns I think was maybe a little less but the same ballpark. Between the two lines I prefer Wings personally. Surprised no one's mentioned Uppercut, similar gear.

--- Original message by Circa on Feb 15, 2006 10:34 PM

Uppercut has nothing on Spruce in terms of quality and design. A Spruce hoodie wows you, from the cut down to from the stitching and the materials. Uppercut cuts a lot looser, the materials are not bad, but nothing to write home about, and construction is pretty blah. Actually, if you are not opposed, I've found that Edun (Rogan and Bono Vox collab) hoodies are well constructed, made from good materials, and with good cuts and details. The one thing is that the sizes run really large, so for a perfect fit, I would definitely size down. Zippers are top notch, and there are lots of fairly subtle details as well. Spruce is still a much better deal (the prices are comparable,) and are definitely better designed, but Edun is easier to find, and goes on sale regularly.

And seriously guys, just because something is sold at Saks or Caban or even Nordstrom doesn't make it bad. (Although both those stores carry some real crap.) You have got to get over that mentality.

Yeah I was aware of the 2 online shops stocking the label. Having checked out all three of the labels on a regular basis I'd say Spruce does nice stuff no doubt but IMO on more of a tamer design tip than the other aforementioned brands. Hoodies were nice but the waffle-knit/thermal gear and $100 striped tees were so-so. Same goes for the sweatshirt peacoat, cool item tho.

Yeah I was aware of the 2 online shops stocking the label. Having checked out all three of the labels on a regular basis I'd say Spruce does nice stuff no doubt but IMO on more of a tamer design tip than the other aforementioned brands. Hoodies were nice but the waffle-knit/thermal gear and $100 striped tees were so-so. Same goes for the sweatshirt peacoat, cool item tho.

Quote:

I got my information from CYC (about Caban stocking Spruce stuff) so I can't think of a more legit souce.

I got my info about the Richard Kidd connection first from a retailer which carried the S/S 2005 Wings & Horns stuff, who claims to have gotten that information from Steven Alan showroom. So that I cannot verify that claim directly, although I did talk to someone at Richard Kidd who verified that they were no longer associated with either brand and would not stock them anymore. It was unclear from that conversation whether the association was a creative one.

So, Steven Alan doesn't represent the labels anymore? I wonder who does. Anyone know?

--- Original message by LA Guy on Feb 16, 2006 07:04 AM

I can't think of any more of a legit source either. Kane IS CYC, from what I was told at least. I dont know him personally but i do remember what he posted...

"FYI there is -no- association between Richard Kidd and Spruce & Wings & Horns. There was also a rumour sometime back regarding Spruce being available in Caban for 2006. Er. No. Not the case."

and... just to prove i'm not crazy and that WE all get the correct info on this board...

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=4844

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=5508

Guest Montreal

I'll be posting 2 amazing Spruce hoodies (grey with white stripes, and white with purple stripes) in the supermarket forum in the coming days.. just need to get my camera to work!

edit: size L.. not slim-fit.

Edited by Montreal on Feb 16, 2006 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by LA Guy on Feb 16, 2006 07:04 AM

I can't think of any more of a legit source either. Kane IS CYC, from what I was told at least. I dont know him personally but i do remember what he posted...

"FYI there is -no- association between Richard Kidd and Spruce & Wings & Horns. There was also a rumour sometime back regarding Spruce being available in Caban for 2006. Er. No. Not the case."

and... just to prove i'm not crazy and that WE all get the correct info on this board...

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=4844

--- Original message by sr20det on Feb 16, 2006 12:05 PM

Interesting. The woman I talked to at CYC definitely told me that Spruce was available at Caban. Maybe Kane is not in charge of distribtuion? I didn't see the stuff at Caban myself, but some other posters claim to have. Also, I noticed that that post was from last September. Stockists change. I'd be interested in hearing what Kane or anyone else claiming to be at CYC have to say.

Also, when I called Richard Kidd, the saleswoman definitely said that they had it, but not any more.

Whoa. Don't know how I missed this thread.

But let's clear a few things up:

* Yep. I do work for CYC. I do not speak for the company or its principal owners, and most of what I've been allowed to reveal has been OK'd.

* Caban's never carried Spruce or Wings & Horns -- not as an authorized retailer, but I can't imagine them selling grey market goods. One slight slight slight possibility might have been that Steven Alan might have sold them a few pieces, but that's just crazy talk. We're very careful about who carries our stuff, and we hand pick and interview all our retailers.

(And Circa, "Wings & Horns" is a single line. It's not "Wings" & "Horns". It's "Wings & Horns".)

* There is no current connection between Richard Kidd and Spruce, Wings & Horns or CYC. The owner of Richard Kidd, at the beginning (and maybe still) might try to work new networks by mentioning a connection; however, the relationship has been severed even before the first season of goods were delivered. To be fair, he did do some graphics design work and consultation for that very first season, but a situation arose and well, that's that. But history is History. Let's leave it at that.

* Neither Spruce nor Wings & Horns will be carried by Steven Alan this season. Alternatives: Nom de Guerre in NY; Ron Herman and Fred Segal in LA.

* Aside from Nano Universe, if you want to peruse Spruce and Wings & Horns, check out Ships and United Arrows. If I recall correctly, we routinely do special limited colourways of Spruce items for United Arrows.

I'm glad to see that Spring stuff for first delivery is starting to show up here and there. Some people have been saying that our "Dandy Lions" print is a copy of a "Surface 2 Air" print. Could someone point me out to a pic of their tee? I'm pretty certain it's a coincidence, since I was at the meeting where they hashed out the design.

Edited by Kane on Feb 17, 2006 at 10:46 AM

i must say...i've been impressed by the way Spruce/Wings&Horns has grown over the years, without over exposure...i remember picking up my first Spruce hoodie years ago at Uncle Otis ( i believe it was the first season...but might be wrong) simple black hoodie, back when "Spruce" was being printed on the inside of the piece...even then the joint was crazy...the quality was nuts and you could tell they were headed down the right path...

fast forward a few years and they're still doing their thing....

Wings&Horns has taken things to a new level and Spruce continues to impress...

like i've said before, one of the few lines that i look foward to seeing each season...

All of us here are really thrilled that there really are people out there that appreciate our work!

It's awesome that you guys pick up on the tiny details that we insist on putting into our garments. Warm fuzzy feeling all around.

I remember when our suppliers thought we were absolutely nuts insisting on the little touches, details and such. They still think we're kinda loopy putting in these crazy swiss zippers that cost almost as much as the garments...

Eh. We just want to make the best sweatshirts. That's it.

But yeah, we just finished sampling and showing Fall06 and I'm very much looking forward to the responses. Thematically, I think the line is much more refined as a proper 'collection'. The peacoats and duffles have been redesigned, and there's a whole bunch more but I can't say.

Well. It'll be interesting enough to just see how you guys respond to Spring06 first.

Kane,

Nomad and Otis will continue to get Spruce right?

also, you mentioned you work for CYC, but seem very involved with Spruce/W&H. Is there a connection between the two, beside CYC producing the garments?

Are you also involved with Supreme, and can we expect we presence for Spruce/W&H, and so if when?

Also, why does Spruce and W&H always get grouped together?

Nice to have someone on the inside for some lowdown. Superfuture is a pretty good network for the industry/scene...

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Edited by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Feb 16, 2006 at 07:49 PM

We're planning 'something' in terms of an online presence for the fall, but nothing's been hashed out at this point. I doubt we'll have an online store, but don't quote me on that.

One of the things that concern us regarding online stores is that they disassociate a customer from the product. The whole idea when you buy a garment is that you get to touch the fabric and get to see and feel the material and examine its construction. You really lose this once you go online. Of course you could list all the specs and stuff, but it's different. Shopping becomes a leap of faith instead an act of acquaintence.

I don't know. Personally, the more I think about it, and talk it out, the more an online storefront, or even a gallery seems.. well, not necesarilly a -bad- idea, but just a not-great idea. I mean, sure it'll satisfy curiosity as to what the goods look like, but comparing what, for example, Spruce looks like, to what Spruce actually feels like or is made -- do the visuals actually do anything to create desire or appreciation for the product?

Maybe for Wings & Horns? I'm sure you guys have figured out that Spruce is more 'Basics/Fundamentals' and Wings & Horns is 'Rockstar', like siblings. It's not a coincidence that whenever we can, we offer both lines in a store. Look for further integration in the fall.

And regarding online stores, what do you guys think?

PS I think we've done some deliveries for Spring for both Spruce and Wings & Horns. We're dealing with stragglers right now, but we've shipped out a bunch of stuff for both lines. Fall will ship June/July-ish.

Edited by Kane on Feb 16, 2006 at 08:06 PM

Far as I know, Nomad and Uncle Otis will continue to carry Spruce, yep.

I do work for CYC, and apparently I talk too much, heh.

I am not at liberty to mention anything about our clients, but Spruce and Wings & Horns aren't really, technically 'clients' since we do the design and development and sales.

But yeah, no questions about any of the other brands we're rumoured to do work for please.

Edited by Kane on Feb 16, 2006 at 08:13 PM

Quote: I mean, sure it'll satisfy curiosity as to what the goods look like, but comparing what, for example, Spruce looks like, to what Spruce actually feels like or is made -- do the visuals actually do anything to create desire or appreciation for the product?
I kind of agree with you on this. 100% of why I love Spruce so much, and 75% of why I love W&H, is the construction, details, fabric, and overall attention to detail that you can see spills out of every aspect of the garment.

Not to mention that the more rarified and information-scarce things are, the more popular they seem to be... icon_smile_wink.gif

Thanks for all the info Kane. Sorry for "digging" you could say, not my intent, just curious.

Re: The webstore

I agree with you that it takes away from the experience and doesn't provide a proper spotlight for the products, especially with something like Spruce. It kind of takes away the exclusivness of the brand, which the internet has done for many things which has its pros and cons. It's easy for me to say I don't want a webstore because I can fairly easily pick up the products I want in Toronto, but it makes the brand avaliable to everyone, but the snob in me likes that exlusivness, and provides a "mysterious" aspect to the brand.

I think an online lookbook or catalog is cool though for fans of the brand to be able to get a basic look at what is out there, but once again the thing I like about spruce is that I have never heard of it before and saw it one day and became one of my favourites without having to do with hype.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Heh. I totally understand the snob thing.

The one thing that makes something fashionable is the "Nyah. I have it and you don't, and I know you really want it" factor.

Once an item makes the transition from "I really want it, where can I get it?" to "I already have it, and it's on sale for $0.39 less at Walmart!" the value of the item, especially in terms of being fashionable and desirable, drops to the negative.

Some guy in some other thread was trying to knock off sweats and produce them with his relatives in Taiwan/HK. His intent was to "make it available to up and comers", but I don't think he really gets it. Sure, it's an interesting exercise, but I think it's counterproductive in so many ways.

At some level, we don't really want to be able to attain the things we REALLY REALLY want. Kinda crazy.

But yeah, we'll be putting thought into the whole online presence thing in the next little while as things settle from the madness of the past few months. We've owned the domain for a while now, just have to figure out what and how.

I really like what Prada's done for their website. It's perfect. I think you guys have an idea about what I have in mind -- keeping a balance between exclusivity and information-for-fans. Anyone know of other websites or companies that have managed to keep treading that line?

Quote:

Heh. I totally understand the snob thing.

The one thing that makes something fashionable is the "Nyah. I have it and you don't, and I know you really want it" factor.

Once an item makes the transition from "I really want it, where can I get it?" to "I already have it, and it's on sale for $0.39 less at Walmart!" the value of the item, especially in terms of being fashionable and desirable, drops to the negative.

Some guy in some other thread was trying to knock off sweats and produce them with his relatives in Taiwan/HK. His intent was to "make it available to up and comers", but I don't think he really gets it. Sure, it's an interesting exercise, but I think it's counterproductive in so many ways.

At some level, we don't really want to be able to attain the things we REALLY REALLY want. Kinda crazy.

But yeah, we'll be putting thought into the whole online presence thing in the next little while as things settle from the madness of the past few months. We've owned the domain for a while now, just have to figure out what and how.

I really like what Prada's done for their website. It's perfect. I think you guys have an idea about what I have in mind -- keeping a balance between exclusivity and information-for-fans. Anyone know of other websites or companies that have managed to keep treading that line?

--- Original message by Kane on Feb 16, 2006 09:03 PM

Thanks for clearing things up. I remember being wowed by the Wings and Horns stuff at Ron Herman first time I saw it, and then again at Stels (Boston). Truthfully, I like the Spruce stuff more, and not just because of the price. I have a Spruce hoodie, and it has held up beter than my Wings & Horns, and even though it's a pretty bright green, it goes with a lot more than my Wings & Horns hoodie.

As for websites that do a good job giving info, but maintaining a certain mystique, I've found that the Rogues Gallery site (www.dandyrogue.com - you even have to figure out the name), the Rag & Bone website (www.rag-bone.com) and Corpus (www.corpusdenim.com) all do that well.

Anyway, hope you guys keep up the good work, and sorry for any misinformation I may have inadvertently spread (you know how fashion people gossip :-). BTW, you definitely know how to choose your retailers. Uncle Otis and Nomad are the best stores in Canada in terms of editting, imo, and Ron Herman and Fred Segal (I imagine that you mean HTC?) are probably the best streetwear stores in the world, period (LA is great that way.) NdG is great too. As for the crazy colorways and designs for United Arrows - a Japanese friend of mine has a couple of the craziest Spruce hoodies (stripes and tiger fleece!) but thing really seem to work.

Keep up the great stuff.

Minya, you owe me.

Kane: And Circa, "Wings & Horns" is a single line. It's not "Wings" & "Horns". It's "Wings & Horns"

Yes, I know. Wasn't trying to infer it was 2 seperate lines, merely that I prefer W&H over Spruce. Wording was a little off in my post.

Edited by Circa on Feb 16, 2006 at 11:21 PM