45RPM purchase tips from the denim heads?

T A M A D

My bro is headed to NYC and I could use some input/advice from the denim heads out there regarding 45rpm denim.

Which style of jean do you suggest? Aihiko or Sorahiko? Are these the only styles they sell in their NY store? What is the difference between these two?

Finally, how much do these jeans cost? (I need to know since I will be giving him some cash to get them for me)

Thanks so much for your help! I have learned a lot from the denim gurus on this board and I am always impressed with your throughness and expertise.

inner peace.

"Without love the acquisition of knowledge only increases confusion and leads to self-destruction..." ~ J.Krishnamurti

If I were in your position I would get Sorahikos because they are affordable - however, if you don't know anything about 45rpm you should definitely try them on. The fits are probably not what you're expecting and you may be gravely disappointed when you drop 800 on some Aihikos and they don't even look how you wanted.

I'd say get the Sorahikos. They're a lot cheaper than the Aihikos (although still pricy) and the only real difference is that the Aihikos use vegetable indigo and can have customized distressing performed. To get Aihikos with any distressing you'd have to go to the store in person anyway.

A pair of Sorahikos with '1 year wash' distressing (which is just fading...there's no real wear to the fabric) were $370 last time I was in the store. I believe that the single wash Sorahikos are cheaper, although I'm not sure by how much. Maybe $70 or $80? They're what I'd recommend anyway as all you'll need to get your own wear marks is a little spray on starch, a little Febreeze and a lot of patience (see every other thread on here).

Oh yeah, the fit at the waist is very similar to a standard Levis 501 fit. Standard inseam is 34" I think.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Jul 13, 2005 at 11:38 AM

How exactly do they fit? The ones shown on the website (where they profiled one or two people that have owned a pair for many years) don't look very good... look like a semi-loose fit and slight tapering at the legs. And in all honesty, the wear on them didn't look very impressive either.

Quote: the ones i saw were like 480.. like a medium wash.. which ones were those

Not sure. Either the price on the Sorahikos has gone up quite a bit or that was a pair in the bc4000 lightweight denim (which I understand is more expensive).

Quote: How exactly do they fit? The ones shown on the website (where they profiled one or two people that have owned a pair for many years) don't look very good... look like a semi-loose fit and slight tapering at the legs. And in all honesty, the wear on them didn't look very impressive either.

Very similar to a pair of 501s I reckon. Basic straight leg with a very slight taper (half an inch or less) from the knee. Someone posted on another thread here that the current cut is a true straight leg with no taper at all, but I haven't checked them out. I doubt its a drastic change though. The only complaint I have about the cut is that they can look a bit baggy around the ass if you wear them low. The jeans shown on the 45rpm site don't do them justice by the way, but I guess that's just another reason to try before buying.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Jul 13, 2005 at 02:11 PM