Levi's 201 - 2002 vs 2007

Paul T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not my cup of tea, but it is my mug 'o joe. I wear mine bigger and looser, but definitely with braces. The shirt works well. Heller's Cafe has one that is similar. I just can't lay that kind of cash for a shirt though.

Love all your new photos, Dr.

THat's definitely one of the better LVC finishes - what year is it? It's quite tempting when you consider how hard it is to wear in the raw version.

I had a pair of washed 201, a much paler finish, that looked terrible. ANd a pair of washed 1937 that looked not too bad, altho not as good as these. Bizarrely, I seem to have contirved to lose them both. I think I must have given them away when drunk - or else returned home one night, pants-less.

THat's definitely one of the better LVC finishes - what year is it? It's quite tempting when you consider how hard it is to wear in the raw version.

I had a pair of washed 201, a much paler finish, that looked terrible. ANd a pair of washed 1937 that looked not too bad, altho not as good as these. Bizarrely, I seem to have contirved to lose them both. I think I must have given them away when drunk - or else returned home one night, pants-less.

Perhaps they'll be discovered in the abandoned Greenwich coalmines in 100 years time! Or Chislehurst Caves...

Thanks Paul

They are the only pre-distressed Lvc I would want to purchase.

I believe they were made in 2006, limited to 429 ( these are #364) and never came in a raw version, although I bought a pair of the Taylor Toggs samples a few years ago and swear I had an early raw example of these (now gone to the Bay)

I plan on wearing these as a summer jean, wore low on the waist with my t-shirt over the top, but may wear 'em to London with braces ( you couldn't get away with that where I live).

Not my cup of tea, but it is my mug 'o joe. I wear mine bigger and looser, but definitely with braces. The shirt works well. Heller's Cafe has one that is similar. I just can't lay that kind of cash for a shirt though.

BTW

The Tee is the 1910 Sunset label underwear tee from my Lvc 1927 501 'package' two seasons ago.

I missed somehow that those were predistressed. My '20s are still almost black. I'd say shine those braces everywhere. The trick is confidence in who you are. Goth kids tend to look goofy, because they lack confidence and esteem, and are compensating with weirdness. My own kit is moving inexorably back in time to settle arround 1910 or so. Not because of rebellion, or following a perceived trend, it's just what feels the most natural. And because it's natural even some of the far out bits like the six inch beard, and bowler hat cause fewer ripples than might be imagined.

the arcuates and inner tag makes me wonder from which year these are, the plain white selvage also looks different from my 07 pair.really curious,any help,Dr. or Paul?

the arcuates and inner tag makes me wonder from which year these are, the plain white selvage also looks different from my 07 pair.really curious,any help,Dr. or Paul?

They are legit, going by the pics. They are the same as mine, i.e 1915 201 predistressed limited to 429.

They are not the same 201's which come in a raw state - those are 1920's 201's.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my 201 out recently. With my new camera, I managed to get a much better rendition of the fade:

201fabric.jpg

201lap.jpg

Sadly, like the Dr, I have to do a bit of denim retrenchment. I'll be selling my 555 201 in the next 24 hours, as well as a pair of 1947 I think. I'll link them here. Half price or free shipping for SuFU regulars.

201newback.jpg

Thanks Paul

They are the only pre-distressed Lvc I would want to purchase.

I believe they were made in 2006, limited to 429 ( these are #364) and never came in a raw version, although I bought a pair of the Taylor Toggs samples a few years ago and swear I had an early raw example of these (now gone to the Bay)

I plan on wearing these as a summer jean, wore low on the waist with my t-shirt over the top, but may wear 'em to London with braces ( you couldn't get away with that where I live).

I had a package that included the 201s and the sunset pull over a bandana and a newspaper. I also like the finish on my 333s and my 209 coveralls. They are both pre distressed but were as nice as the 201s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OMG what a beauty!!!

Don't show this to our good bud that doesn't think the back buttons should shed any paint. (LoL) I guess the originals did it but LVCs shouldn't.

That is a beautiful jacket.

If the 201 series is the budget line, shouldn't an "authentic" reproduction be made out of inferior materials and have inferior construction?

ferchristsakesshuddupanddon'tstarttheslumberingbeastoffagain...

Can anyone post the photos, by the way? I love the pale stitching, very different from the contemporary pants. Must venture down to look at the 201 on display on Regent St, when I'm a free man, in a week or two.

ferchristsakesshuddupanddon'tstarttheslumberingbeastoffagain...

Can anyone post the photos, by the way? I love the pale stitching, very different from the contemporary pants. Must venture down to look at the 201 on display on Regent St, when I'm a free man, in a week or two.

Sorry, I'll keep my trap shut.

That is a beautiful jacket.

If the 201 series is the budget line, shouldn't an "authentic" reproduction be made out of inferior materials and have inferior construction?

"Inferior" materials yes, but I'm not certain the construction would be of a lesser standard, though I reserve the right to be absolutely wrong.

Just as an update, I saw it mentioned the other day that the most recent 201 denim, for spring 2010, used up the fabric run that had been made for the last series of 201 - it's exactly the same.

It's possible this could mean that the 201's reintroduction to the range won't last, so it might be worth pressing the button on those sale jeans.

Once again, do check measurements and buy your actual waist size, as measured. If you're an inbetween size, size down by one inch rather than up; shrinking is minimal and the seat is generously sized.

added to this thread, for reference:

Mmmm, very interest to hear about the arcuate stitch. I've heard suggestions that this design might have turned up on other manufacturers before Levi's; obviously, plenty of people used it in the late 1800s.

Can't wait for a proper chat with Mike, and to hear more, in the meantime here are the 201 photos he sent me. THese are very interesting, having an early-style single-stitched yoke, together with the later, 2-horse linen patch. I am guessing are from a similar period to Levi's "dead man's pants" which date to 1893 (or at least, their owner met with a fatal accident on that date). I am staring to wonder whether the 200 series, which of course were cheaper, must have sold a lot more than the 500 series, as so many more seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately. Do tell us more, though, Mike!

01010z.jpg

012121.jpg

02020x.jpg

02323p.jpg

Just for comparison, here's the eBay pair from a couple years ago. These have the better-known double yoke stitch and different wording on the linen patch so would presumably date from later in the 1890s.

And now, just for reference, I thought I'd add the photos of the 1890s 201 that sold on eBay a few weeks ago. I think the final price was $36,000. (In what looks like bad news for the seller, though, I noticed the purchaser has been kicked off eBay. That price did look like a good one considering the much rarer Nevadas only fetched $42k).

Even though these are 1890s jeans, and the LVC are a '20s repro, you can see the details are pretty spot-on - the short stitch length, bright stitching colour and especially the coarse, green look of the denim.

8cf1_1.jpg

8f2c_1.jpg

100_1493.jpg

100_1498.jpg

100_1497.jpg

100_1499.jpg

100_1500.jpg

100_1496.jpg

100_1494.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just as an update, I saw it mentioned the other day that the most recent 201 denim, for spring 2010, used up the fabric run that had been made for the last series of 201 - it's exactly the same.

It's possible this could mean that the 201's reintroduction to the range won't last, so it might be worth pressing the button on those sale jeans.

Once again, do check measurements and buy your actual waist size, as measured. If you're an inbetween size, size down by one inch rather than up; shrinking is minimal and the seat is generously sized.

You don't mean that these:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4086257

are made with the same fabric as the LVCs, do you?

You don't mean that these:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4086257

are made with the same fabric as the LVCs, do you?

The mass-market 201s from Levi's US probably are made with Cone denim- Cone has operations in Mexico which I believe have been producing the selvedge denim for the mid-range US 501s.

It isn't the same denim used in the LVC 201s, which comes from Cone's US mill in North Carolina.