Studying in London

I might study in London the school year after this upcoming one. Does anyone have any experiences of what it's like? I would attend either UCL or LSE, so the school would have a location that's quite central in London.

My worry isn't the school, but rather the lifestyle. After having taken a summer course at Columbia, I know that I would love studying in Manhattan, but London is an entirely different beast, especially because 4 years of on campus housing are unthinkable.

So basically, it would be great if anyone who has studied in London could tell what it was like for them.

party capital of the worrllldddd

but seriously, its a great place, so much stuff going on. can be a bit dangerous, get quite alot of muggings, but.. if you keep your whits about you you'll be fine.

your post doesnt really say much about what you intend to do here.. interests, actual locations of accom. + campus would be useful

I'm with Thomas on this. Although I'd say probably less dangerous than Manhatten no?

I moved here when I was 18 and starting at university. Now I am 31 and still haven't left. UCL and LSE are both really good location-wise and really good schools. If the accomodation is close by then you get cheap housing in central london which is very rare! Most students here find their own home after the first year here because they want freedom, but unless you are rich you might have to move out a bit further.

All you need to know as a sufu-er is East London is the place to be. From Shoreditch/Hoxton to Hackney is where you will find the best gigs, bars, girls, etc. And I guess Soho too.

i think someone shat in PAND's cereal this morning..

hackney can be a bit rough but its stil a cheap[ish] and happening place. yeah hoxtons trendy, but at the end of the day thats where the good clubs and bars are so whats the problem?

i lived a few pretty close to upper clapton.. someone was shot on the street next to mine a few months ago... but i wouldnt say i get a huge feeling of 'unsafeness'...

they get shot up coming out of raves and shit where there is already beef going on..

i lived on upper kingsland/stokey high street..

east london can definatly be grimy but so can any place if you havent got your eyes open and your head on tight.

Hackney is great, just not the murder mile. I lived there for years and still miss moving away, the south side of hackney, london fields and victoria park, it's fucking lovely. Big old houses, grand streets and open spaces but just a quick bus ride down to whitechapel, shoreditch, brick lane, hoxton etc. Broadway market just round the corner for fucking great food on saturdays.

The area has a whole lot of history which hasn't just been bulldozed and starbuckized like most of the rest of London. You can find markets that have been there for over a hundred years and pubs, cafes, pie and mash shops that have authentic history.

The fact that it is a bit rough makes it cheap which brings a lot of artists, design students and young people to the area.

Open your eyes an don't shit on the area just cos you are a miserable sod.

I studied at London Metropolitan University for 3 months in the fall semester of 05 and it was the greatest 3 months of my life. I feel in love with everything that London had to offer and want to go back more than anything. During the time I spent there, I lived in a not so great part of town, Holloway Road, but I never felt concerned for my safety. If you do your own thing and dont get in other peoples way, then your fine. This applies to anywhere in the world where you are a foreigner. In terms of $$$, I found it to be very expensive to the point where I was spending around $200 USD a week on groceries and going out, and im not a big drinker. I cooked in my flat and went out to eat occasionally, but as great as some of the restaurants were, the prices were pure rape. At the same time though, there is plenty to do and see for free. Dont forget to climb the lions in Trafalgar Square.

I studied at London metropolitan when it used to be called university of north london. And taught there more recently. Glad you liked it here!

In London you can find great cheap restaurants but also shitty expensive restaurants and everything in between. The best way to make sure you aren't getting raped for shit food is to follow the guides... timeout eating and drinking and timeout cheap eats should stop you going too far wrong.

As for sugar coating.... every city in the UK, and the world has rich and poor areas like London. If you want to see real poverty in the UK try going to gateshead, newcastle, middlesborough, liverpool, manchester....... London is the richest city in the country, both in monetary terms and culture.

Sure there are shitty parts, Walworth, Lewisham, Charlton etc, but Shoreditch and it's surrounding areas probably get more visitors coming into the area for bars, restaurants, clubs, markets each weekend than SE London gets in a year. That says something for the area I'd say

London has a lot to offer for visitors and residents, all you have to do is take off your blinkers. but if you hate it so much, my advice to you would be to move away.

Oh forgot, Lewisham's cheap AND not been 'Starbuckized'. People seem to forget that most of London is below teh poverty line, and that makes for some pretty shitty living.

there is one big difference though.. hackney being well placed and lewisham not being.. your point was fucking useless.

if your living in SE i sugest new cross, just because goldsmiths is there and in turn a few nights and good pubs dotted around.

a bit of a 'boring' reply ...

education-wise, i think english education is pretty much self-study as opposed to the american spoon-fed system. you have to have a certain amount of discipline since, for example, at the LSE there are practically NO HOMEWORK, etc. and the one final exams at the end of the year account for 100% of your grade.

i'd leave you to make your own judgement whether that is good or bad

LSE is neer fleet street right?

i'd sugest looking around old street, liverpool street, betnaaaaall etc. the trend pocket. but atleast its close and alot of bars around

p.s. you wont find 'williamsburg 6 years ago' or whatever (which was probably just as gay and trendy then as all of londons 'grimy-cool areas were).

thats kinda what that spanner PANG or whatever was banging on about earlier.. the 'cool' areas before the hipsters moved in.. truth is hipsters are everywhere, and the biggest jeb ends of the lot are the ones that think they are one step ahead.

dan ashcroft?

t

LSE is neer fleet street right?

i'd sugest looking around old street, liverpool street, betnaaaaall etc. the trend pocket. but atleast its close and alot of bars around

p.s. you wont find 'williamsburg 6 years ago' or whatever (which was probably just as gay and trendy then as all of londons 'grimy-cool areas were).

thats kinda what that spanner PANG or whatever was banging on about earlier.. the 'cool' areas before the hipsters moved in.. truth is hipsters are everywhere, and the biggest jeb ends of the lot are the ones that think they are one step ahead.

dan ashcroft?

t

Thanks for the advice dude and good point about spanners and jeb ends... I hate fucking jeb ends.

the weather was really good the week i spent there. that sunday was the first day of rain but it didn't rain while i was there. i saw the brewery i think but we just strolled around. "sunday upmarket" I reckon that is the long street where all the people are selling personal goods out of the suitcases?? when we came to the top of the street the last seller i met were some awesome hobo selling one used shoe. wild!