arizona

fadingblue

Guest chemi

i go to ASU, and there's really not much in terms of ANYTHING here. covet is probably your best bet as far as clothing goes, i saw ksubi and april 77 last time i checked. there's also retro redux which is a slightly interesting thrift shop as well as that streetwear shop (forget the name).

for record enthusiasts: i tried looking around for record stores, nothing but common finds, but if you're just looking for that kind of stuff i recommend checking out trax n' wax, owner used to manage the amoeba in berkeley, and can probably point you in the right direction. there's also a good record show that happens monthly (some guy had 15,000 latin 45s last month) in the city as well as tucson.

bottom line is, grab a burrito and enjoy the scenery, then get the hell out

i will say that at first i was utterly dismayed with the seemingly endless stucco landscapes, strip malls, and shades of blonde mall fans. i had never even heard of this 'stars and straps' brand till i lived in AZ. my sister and i still laugh about when i asked some kid who worked at barnes & noble if he had any suggestions on a good restaurant in the area to which he replied, 'have you ever heard of applebees?' my bad for being in barnes & noble in the first place.

by a twist of fate i was introduced to the downtown phoenix art scene. tuesday nights at the bikini lounge followed by after parties in parking lots or at that one after party house..forget the address but it was tato's house...all the scenesters, artists, groupies, cokeheads, boozehounds, and late night attention seekers were always out in full force every night of the week in downtown phx. there was always some kind of after party til the wee hours of the morning. first friday art walks (first friday of every month) were the highlight of the month, and art detour in march is not to be missed.

i saw many dope hip hop shows there, mainly at the blunt club which is a weekly hip hop night now held at club red in tempe. universatile music (universatilemusic.com) brings in a lot of worthy acts throughtout the year.

if you're ever at an after party at 4 AM mid july when it's a balmy 105 in phoenix and you hear crazy mexican ranting about how he's the king of phoenix tell bobby that, 'the AK says to stay away from tow trucks, k?' he'll know just what i'm talking about.

^ yeah i was talkin about Hub.pretty cool shop.

when i say phoenix is boring. it seems like everything is outside. goto LV,goto LA, goto mexico. etc etc. not much really going on in the city. weather was nice tho. people were friendly. it seems like more of a place to settle down than for a young person to wild out in.

• 1 year later...

A bump for Phoenix.

If i'm there for 48 hours, what are 3 things i should not miss?

Food/drinks/whatever.

A bump for Phoenix.

If i'm there for 48 hours, what are 3 things i should not miss?

Food/drinks/whatever.

Hello?

No love for Phoenix?

• 1 month later...