Walter van Beirendonck SS08

polishmike

costumes rather than fashion

what's really the difference?

at a certain point in time, what we consider a costume might have been de rigeur

style for a certain time + place.

i see this as no different than couture shows, except that beirendonck is creating

not only a style of dress but an entire fantasy world, and populating it with glorious

dick helmets.

i, for one, cannot wait for a future where i can wear a dick helmet and have eyeballs

on my feet.

what's really the difference?

fashion is probably not the right word, maybe clothing vs. costumes. the difference being that a large part of fashion collections have atleast some elements of traditional clothing, meaning something people wear normally. where as this collection is, as you said, more like a fantasy world. I couldn't see anyone wearing anything from this collection unless they were in a parade.

I'm not saying that this couldn't be interesting nor likeable, just thats its a very different deal from regular runway collections that most designers put out, this is more like an art show.

fashion is probably not the right word, maybe clothing vs. costumes. the difference being that a large part of fashion collections have atleast some elements of traditional clothing, meaning something people wear normally. where as this collection is, as you said, more like a fantasy world. I couldn't see anyone wearing anything from this collection unless they were in a parade.

I'm not saying that this couldn't be interesting nor likeable, just thats its a very different deal from regular runway collections that most designers put out, this is more like an art show.

it's important to note for those listeners who aren't too well acquainted with belgian fashion history - many of our favorite belgian designers are former students of this genius bear from their time at the royal academy in antwerp.

i encourage anyone who hasn't seen the recent graduate collections check out the royal academy website immediately!

:)check it!:)

it's important to note for those listeners who aren't too well acquainted with belgian fashion history - many of our favorite belgian designers are former students of this genius bear from their time at the royal academy in antwerp.

i encourage anyone who hasn't seen the recent graduate collections check out the royal academy website immediately!

:)check it!:)

I'm quite familiar with Beirendonck as well as the latest graduate collection.

if you compare this to some of his prior collections, I think they had a lot more actual clothing items in them. while they were very "animated" as well, I think this one has been taken a bit further. thats all I'm saying, its a bit too lala-land for me to actually look at like a fashion collection.

I'm quite familiar with Beirendonck as well as the latest graduate collection.

if you compare this to some of his prior collections, I think they had a lot more actual clothing items in them. while they were very "animated" as well, I think this one has been taken a bit further. thats all I'm saying, its a bit too lala-land for me to actually look at like a fashion collection.

i figured that you would be familiar with him, i wanted to clarify in case some of the readers of this thread might not know his history. andi definitely agree with you on this collection, very costume-ish. but not too much more than galliano sometimes right?

i, for one, cannot wait for a future where i can wear a dick helmet and have eyeballs

on my feet.

a statement so eloquently put is bound to be signature material

view5357790.jpg

i need that sweater.

me too.