Furniture - Los Angeles

englandmj7

I did a search and found a couple of threads on furniture in San Francisco, NYC, online, etc. but nothing decent for LA.

Basically, I am looking for affordable stuff (i.e. Design Within Reach is a little more than I want to spend; on the opposite end, I don't want IKEA) to spruce up a new place. I know that in SF I've been to several cool warehouse-sized places offering modern, affordable furniture. I like the prices on this site, but I heard it is horrible and takes months to ship stuff:

http://www.sleekspaces.com/

Not looking for specific models (Eames, Barcelona, etc.)........just need somewhere with a decent variety and a fair amount of stylish choices. Anywhere worth visiting?

Ideally, there would be a Muji in LA

Westelm has the new store in Santa Monica, I've found a few nice pieces there. There's also a ton of stuff on Beverly near Robertson, but I think most of those brands are going to be fairly high as well.

Try craigslist and ebay though. I don't what style you like, but there are some good danish modern pieces to be had and a lot of sellers are in LA.

Westelm has the new store in Santa Monica, I've found a few nice pieces there. There's also a ton of stuff on Beverly near Robertson, but I think most of those brands are going to be fairly high as well.

Try craigslist and ebay though. I don't what style you like, but there are some good danish modern pieces to be had and a lot of sellers are in LA.

I've heard of Westelm before; never checked it out. I'll have to do that.

To be honest, I guess even categorizing what I am looking for as truly 'modern' might be a stretch. I just want somewhere that isn't all huge puffy cloth couches and chunky wood tables (Furniture Warehouse, etc.). Nothing too conceptual or unique, just clean and stylish.

I think to find quality danish modern or Herman miller type furniture for not too expensive is a daunting task esp. in the SF/LA market. Limn is such an amazing store in SF, which I could deck my whole place out from there.

As far as LA goes, there are a shit ton of spots for furniture in LA...but most everywhere is priced incredibly high. I'm almost certain that goldengloves could give you a better rundown. But in my experience, the best places to hit are the secret mom and pop gangster locations in venice and culver city or the flea markets to find "good buys"... The Rose Bowl flea market is an excellent spot to find furniture. My friend is designing Tsubi George's crib right now has been finding stuff at flea markets at almost next to nothing.

Yea West Elm is maybe a small step above Ikea. Same kind of assembly it's just they use actual wood in all of thier pieces and not shit particle board.

I would also concur with sleaze and say the flea markets can have some hidden treasures but it may take a few trips and a lot of, "fuck, that was a waste of time."

My opinion, skimp where you can (dining table, dining chairs, tableware) and spend your big money on a couch that is quality. Also, you can get some sick chairs to accompany the sofa for $250-400 and they will look like a million bucks.

Check out Magis furniture for some nice chairs that aren't too costly. Also, you can sometimes find some Ligne Roset furniture on sale.

I guess it all depends on how much is, too much? I think $2G's on a couch might be worth it, but $2G's on a chair is redic!

Cool, thanks guys.

I'm in the same boat as you re: prices. Probably looking to spend $1500 or so on a couch. I have a ridiculously pricey one right now but I am tired of it and it is starting to get dirty (white microsuede). I need some new shit!

I would also concur with sleaze and say the flea markets can have some hidden treasures but it may take a few trips and a lot of, "fuck, that was a waste of time."

I have an F150 at my disposal, and a lot of free time.

My opinion, skimp where you can (dining table, dining chairs, tableware) and spend your big money on a couch that is quality. Also, you can get some sick chairs to accompany the sofa for $250-400 and they will look like a million bucks.

According to this logic, and what you are looking for, you do not even need to leave SF.

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/

I bought a sofa here (~2k) last year and it kicks the shit out of the Cassina one I bought for twice the price. OOOHhh, sample sales are your best bet, but I never know when they happen.

Here's a cool sofa from Bludot (very modern looking) for exactly $1500.

http://www.bludot.com/Browse_Products/Seating/product/Couchoid_studio_sofa

Chair from Magis (whizkit bought the same one)

11332.269748EF.jpg

Interesting seating from Magis by Javier Mariscal

25272.57CEC3F6.jpg

Eames chair for Modernica (a lot of options and cheap)

cs-arm-low-rod.jpg

bit off topic and random but noticed this furniture thread...

i have been trying to identify this table for over a year... does anyone know who designed or manufactured it...

i want it!

mystery_table.jpg

I owe plenty of people rep for this thread...........need to recharge first.

CB2 is Crate and Barrel's more affordable and modern line.

Restoration Hardware has some nice stuff there's one in the Bev Center.

As far as I know, they only have stores in Chicago. Want to avoid mail order.

• 2 years later...