Backpacks

ag229487

ive had mine for a few months and it can be stuffed with a decent amount of things, but I wouldnt rely on it to carry heavy text books or a laptop etc in it. the daisy chains are nice, but the most ive really hung off of them are sneakers using an sbiner and a water bottle. i just went to rei today and they have the newest version out and it seems like theyve beefed up the shoulder straps and added a small pad to the back.

Mission Workshop backpacks are on sale at Huckberry. If you want to sign up, and use my invite code I get 10 bucks. If you don't want to, no worries. Just saw some people earlier in the thread asking if MW ever went on sale. Invite code link is right here.

I think huckberry makes you sign up to look at prices, but Sanctions are 149, Fitzroys 185, Ramblers 209, Vandals 235.

Im planning on going to university next year and was looking into getting a decent backpack

whats everyones opinion on the arkiv field packs. They look pretty darn cool to me. Are they practical for university (ie holding books pens, laptops etc) and worth the price?

Not sure if I should build my own bag (having a seperate compartment for my drink bottle and camera would be great) plus addons are always fun. Anyone know if the main bag itself has a laptop compartment because I dont really care for a detachable addon compartment for just the laptop if it already has one in the main pack. Also in one of the pics he is grabbing stuff out of the roll out part. is that just extra storage or is the main access through the roll out and doesnt have a zippered slot

http://missionworkshop.com/products/arkiv-system-bags/field-pack-overview.php

or if i should go for the rambler. The roll top looks cool and could hold a medium sided umbrella. and looks like it has a main zippered compartment which seems more practical plus an extra zippered extra front pocket for a laptop

http://missionworkshop.com/products/bags/backpacks/roll_top/medium_rambler.php

Supreme 23rd backpack on ebay right now for $120 BIN.

computurd i think you are overthinking it - pretty much any backpack is going to be just fine for getting you through university. the MW are all really nice - you can't go wrong i think. if you want to build your own, build it!

as far as laptops, i don't ever worry if packs have a dedicated sleeve, i have one for my laptop so any backpack works, if it has one, all the better.

Mission Workshop backpacks are on sale at Huckberry. If you want to sign up, and use my invite code I get 10 bucks. If you don't want to, no worries. Just saw some people earlier in the thread asking if MW ever went on sale. Invite code link is right here.

I think huckberry makes you sign up to look at prices, but Sanctions are 149, Fitzroys 185, Ramblers 209, Vandals 235.

nice! I bought a Sanction.

lol i ended up deciding to go with a 5.11 rush 12.

Whereabouts can you purchase add ons for cheap to deck the shit out of it?

Good choice, I have the RUSH24 when it first came out and it's an amazing pack. The yoke system is great.

The "add ons" you're looking for are pouches for MOLLE webbing systems. You can find them from lots of places that sell tactical gear -- Maxpedition, CountyComm, Condor Outdoor, LAPolice Gear, etc. Just look for "modular pouches" or "MOLLE pouches."

Anyway I've been doing daypack research ad nauseum -- I was looking for an everyday carry daypack that's very compact (I'm 5'6", 125lb and my torso is about 18" tall and back is 10" wide). I tabulated my options with pros and cons of some bags if you guys are interested here:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Z0c6uD9ZLUtNucmjF7XmVzVZ_NFKD8SRLOaaTx7tHj0

I am leaning heavily towards the Source Assault 20L:

assault.jpg

could any of you recommend a backpack that would be practical to use for backpacking trips? i would use it 2-4 weeks at a time..

i would like something that is functional and well built enough to last a good number of years. any recommendttions to brands and or models would be a massive help..

oh and i'll be using it in the middle east so perhaps somethign pretty low key. i make an effort to look homeless when travelling so a bag that woudl fit with this look would be great..

also my first trip with the bag would be 1 week work (suit, 2 shirt, shoes, laptop) and 2 weeks backpacking (jeans, shorts, tshirts, hat)..so really would appreciate help on size of bag etc!

thanks!

Edited by jsky808080

as far as laptops, i don't ever worry if packs have a dedicated sleeve, i have one for my laptop so any backpack works, if it has one, all the better.

i think a dedicated area for a laptop is key if you're going to be carrying one. what fundamentally makes backpacks great (or bad, or meh) is the ability to distribute load in a way that doesn't cause strain to your back. keeping heavier items closer to your back helps.

if i were looking for a good daypack, i'd look for one that has a laptop compartment next to your back and a quick side zip to access it without having to open the whole thing up from the top

re: mission workshop, their stuff is good but the shoulder straps on the backpack i have from them are too wide for my back, which is not something i've ever had a problem with... something to bear in mind

these bags are going to be on the large size but i wouldnt mind having more space for longer trips. any opionions on any of the below?...

Arc Teryx

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews/Arcteryx-Altra-65

perhaps the above more then i need and the above expensive, this one rated highly

Gregory

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacks-Backpacking-Reviews/Gregory-Z65

Does anyone know if the Topo Daypack holds up well? I've searched the thread, and some people have said they recently bought them and like them, but do they last a long time? My Herschel backpack started to break (the straps tearing, adjuster broke) pretty quickly. Is the Topo one more durable? Thanks.

could any of you recommend a backpack that would be practical to use for backpacking trips? i would use it 2-4 weeks at a time..

i would like something that is functional and well built enough to last a good number of years. any recommendttions to brands and or models would be a massive help..

oh and i'll be using it in the middle east so perhaps somethign pretty low key. i make an effort to look homeless when travelling so a bag that woudl fit with this look would be great..

also my first trip with the bag would be 1 week work (suit, 2 shirt, shoes, laptop) and 2 weeks backpacking (jeans, shorts, tshirts, hat)..so really would appreciate help on size of bag etc!

thanks!

I use the REI flash65 on backcountry missions. Very happy with it. light, comfortable straps, can handle serious loads. showing sold out, but im sure theyre instore @ every rei.

http://www.rei.com/p...ens-special-buy

Edited by EG562

I use the REI flash65 on backcountry missions. Very happy with it. light, comfortable straps, can handle serious loads. showing sold out, but im sure theyre instore @ every rei.

http://www.rei.com/p...ens-special-buy

that REI bag looks great...

i ended up ordering the 2012 gregory z65 in navy, got a bit of a discount and the shipping to england wasn't too crazy - just hope i don't get hit with customs!!

http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/product/gregory-z65

i like that they repair the bag over the life of the product (although shipping costs so expensive its unlikely i would take advantage it often)..

grabbed this from norse store, may have been the last (only?) one though. i have yet to utilize all of the crazy compartments this thing has, but im looking forward to it. aesthetically, its exactly what i was looking for and for a really good price too. will update as to how it holds up, but just a few seconds of handling it shows that the construction seems pretty on point. very satisfied!

e03eb7e4803ed78b37f4134eb6ba06d1_h1211w1020_passthru.jpg

edit: an update on the pack. unfortunately it holds a lot less than you would expect it to considering its size (about two medium-size textbooks and maybe three 1" binders). the side that touches your back is extremely padded and the ventilation feature works really well, however the lack of padding whatsoever on the straps is borderline uncomfortable if you're wearing only a t-shirt for instance, not chafing but still not enjoyable if worn for extended periods of time (granted, its probably not meant to be as heavy as ive stuffed it). ive gotten a lot of compliments on it though, so i guess thats a plus.

Edited by saffronrevolution