Backpacks

ag229487

need a new backpack for an upcoming trip (20-25L) - any better alternatives to dsptch for under $300? not sure whether to get the daypack or ruckpack.

I like the Rambler from Mission Workshop. Getting it next for my traveling - it expands from 22L-44L when you need to. I think that'd be pretty handy when you're out and about and if you need to pick anything else up. Also waterproof.

andwonder_75419055_09.jpg

I'm on board with the andwander hype. Their 20L is a good blend of classic meets UL design: simple form, tech materials, and functional elements. I'd love to pick one of these up but ordering from Japan (and it being sold out most places) is a definite barrier.

Edited by Loos Threads

...because you don't think it's worth it, consider the usage exaggerated in this instance, or you're not into the word 'hype' being thrown around on a streetwear messageboard? Perhaps I should qualify that by 'hype' I mean that there has been considerable interest, relatively isolated to this thread on superfuture, with regard to the design and execution of these particular bags (albeit not this model specifically, it being new, and thus perhaps even more covetable). I would add that it is most likely intensified amongst posters here by the fact that these goods are only available in Japan. I mean, I thought we were here to nerd out on interesting if not somewhat obscure clothing and products. 

Just had a look at DSPTCH's backpacks, had never really looked at them outside of camera bags and stuff - the ruck and daypacks both look great.

I got the blk day pack last week and have to say the quality and construction is really good for the price. It feels durable, lots of adjustable straps, the foam padding and water proof exterior is definitely a plus.

Edited by Mixture

Looks like same kind of flimsy nylon Muji has been using recently

A lightweight material, no doubt. andwander make a cuben fiber back pack too. I think the UL (ultralight) hiking cottage industry is influencing Japanese outdoor style, and in my opinion, for good reason. Not everyone wants to carry heavy fabrics developed nearly half a century ago. It's an objective opinion of quality based on how traditional fabrics feel (not that there's anything wrong with that either). But this is the cutting edge of outdoor gear manufacturing. I seem to recall folks on here thinking the Outlier X Hyperlite Mountain Gear backpack looked like a garbage bag. One man's trash...

I seem to recall folks on here thinking the Outlier X Hyperlite Mountain Gear backpack looked like a garbage bag. One man's trash...

...but it does look like a garbage bag. it could be made from stolen reptilian techonology acquired by NASA, but despite how technical the materials are it still looks like something designed for medical waste transportation.

edit: i can't spell to save my life today.

Edited by conqueror

A lightweight material, no doubt. andwander make a cuben fiber back pack too. I think the UL (ultralight) hiking cottage industry is influencing Japanese outdoor style, and in my opinion, for good reason. Not everyone wants to carry heavy fabrics developed nearly half a century ago. It's an objective opinion of quality based on how traditional fabrics feel (not that there's anything wrong with that either). But this is the cutting edge of outdoor gear manufacturing. I seem to recall folks on here thinking the Outlier X Hyperlite Mountain Gear backpack looked like a garbage bag. One man's trash...

ultralight shit is ultrafragile shit. 

give me something that'll hold up to normal wear-and-tear. 

I've climbed dozens of peaks with the same cuben bag over a span of 3 years. The material is 40% stronger than kevlar. Not to mention waterproof. When the trad consensus is that burly = durable, there is a cognitive adjust to see UL tech materials as more than flimsy. I agree that there are some issues to work out as these fabrics' use develops, primarily noise, creasing, and hand feel. It could no doubt look better than it does, and I think it will, but I'm also happy to use it because it is so usable.

Also, I was lazy and couldn't think of another word to use in its place. I like them from what I've seen and others seem to too.

clarification appreciated. i just thought it seemed strange to lump them under "hype" or some such thing.

personally i don't have the firsthand experience necessary to properly talk about the things they put out so i can't really pass judgment *but* i do like what a lot of it is aesthetically (apparel more than bags) and would appreciate the way it could seamlessly flit between outdoor use and daily city life. i guess i come from a perspective where it'd be nice if you didn't have excessively specific things in your wardrobe or you could still naturally pull them out of intended context/use.

seem to recall someone on here buying one of the backpacks (with a diagonal two way zip on the front?) and saying the build quality was up to par at the time? iunno

hey guys wanted to see if anyone could offer suggestions in my hunt for a commuting bag. i used to carry a full sized 22l style backpack with laptop and a bunch of crap but have recently minimized the amount of junk i need to carry to and from work. i have to ride the train during peak hours also, so its usually cramped and having a big bag is a pain. i'm looking for a bag similar the the visvim 8l (full size not mini). bag needs to be able to hold 1~2 lacie rugged external harddrives + keys, phone, etc. and hopefully offer at least some protection from the elements. normally i'd just pick up an 8l, but the designs have been rather unappealing to me for the last 2 seasons. please let me know if you can think of any bags off hand that might fit my need.

@Jun.H naw i havent yet, but i plan on picking one up as soon as possible and ill let you know how it is. pricing kinda throws me off too, so honestly not sure what to expect lol. they're local, so might as well give em a try

let me know too! im interested, especially for that price

received my dsptch daypack today, quality seems great for the price - the only thing i'm a little wary about is the durability of the padded 'mil spec webbing' on the main back panel/straps as it seems quite fragile. i should also mention that their packaging + customer service is fantastic as well.

Edited by conqueror

I only have one back pack at the moment this german army backpack in black for like 30€ on ebay 

$_12.JPG

other cool backpacks in my opinion are 

Raf Simons X Eastpack 

raf_simons_eastpak2.jpeg

the Givenchy backpacks especially this one 

givenchy-2013-fallwinter-amerika-graphic

and the east pack backpacks with leather bottom 

121220135467.jpg