Backpacks

ag229487

Word of warning

IF you decide to buy a lamina pack then make sure you buy one from a FIL store/dealer direct or proxy with a receipt and NOT a reseller like conceptshop who have totally f***ed me over. My 2nd lamina pack and only 6 months old the straps have perished with stitching, padding and cord all falling apart.

conceptshop.hk won't offer any help, regardless of having spent a fortune with them in the past and Visvim will repair it if I pay, approx $300+ inc shipping

This hasn't just happened on mine either, it's a known problem with some of the lamina packs.

http://www.fuk.co.uk...im_dsm?page=300

6 months old, carries gym kit and a 15 inch macbook pro approx 3 times a week!

taken from same thread another that has perished twice now!

btw - this is mine after it had already gone back to Visvim and been repaired. (about a year later now)

damn that's pretty fucked up. i bet if you could get it repaired in a way that would look cool though. i think obviously incongruent patches might look good.

I've been to the actual store of Concept Shop a couple years back (5 or 6 years?). The shop was quite well known in HK back then because they were able to locate to obtain hard to get pieces from Japan. Lots of people would shop there despite being located in a deserted mall.

Their price was set quite high and even more for other currencies (think it was 10-20% more for international customers).

Word of warning

IF you decide to buy a lamina pack then make sure you buy one from a FIL store/dealer direct or proxy with a receipt and NOT a reseller like conceptshop who have totally f***ed me over. My 2nd lamina pack and only 6 months old the straps have perished with stitching, padding and cord all falling apart.

conceptshop.hk won't offer any help, regardless of having spent a fortune with them in the past and Visvim will repair it if I pay, approx $300+ inc shipping

This hasn't just happened on mine either, it's a known problem with some of the lamina packs.

http://www.fuk.co.uk...im_dsm?page=300

6 months old, carries gym kit and a 15 inch macbook pro approx 3 times a week!

taken from same thread another that has perished twice now!

btw - this is mine after it had already gone back to Visvim and been repaired. (about a year later now)

8518483520_62102ef5da_z.jpg

I always thought the thin corduroy lining durability was questionable. I have a 20l lamina from the same series I believe (yours looks like that burnt orange colorway? mine is dark brown think it was from the same release), but I haven't used it as a daily driver. It's really disappointing considering the price point for these packs. Mine has held up good for about 4 carry-on flights with the exception of the exterior nylon on the shoulder straps getting a bit scratched. No tears yet. I noticed that vis reversed the nylon/corduroy in some of the later lamina models so that the nylon touches your shoulder with the corduroy facing out instead. Although I doubt this has any meaningful change to durability.

The only thing I'd add is that the side buckles are pretty useless imo. In fact the shock cord snapped when I was trying to use it to strap on a compact umbrella. Visvim did send me replacement shock cord for what it's worth though -- after several emails and about a month waiting.

I got the same issue with my 20L

I brought it to my local tailor and he repaired it with strong stitching and durable fabric. That doesn't look super clean, but it costed me 40€. I'll try to take some pictures soon.

achK - would be good to see some pics if you do get the chance. hiatus - mine has been used lightly, took it on hols once and has been used to carry a little gym clothing to work a few days a week and was largely ok till about 10 days ago when I noticed the stitching had started to unravel. FIL don't see it as their problem though which is disappointing as it's only 6 months old, pretty poor of Visvim imo.

was looking at the exped mountain pro 30 for a joint urban daypack/overlander/climbing pack but was a bit ehhhhh cos I don't want to spend $260ish (about what it costs in aus)

whilst looking around for an alternative I could dig on as much I found this

http://www.pedalconsumption.com/2012/08/1-61-roll-top-backpack/

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuugoddamnit

more expensive and I like it MORE

I always thought the thin corduroy lining durability was questionable. I have a 20l lamina from the same series I believe (yours looks like that burnt orange colorway? mine is dark brown think it was from the same release), but I haven't used it as a daily driver. It's really disappointing considering the price point for these packs. Mine has held up good for about 4 carry-on flights with the exception of the exterior nylon on the shoulder straps getting a bit scratched. No tears yet. I noticed that vis reversed the nylon/corduroy in some of the later lamina models so that the nylon touches your shoulder with the corduroy facing out instead. Although I doubt this has any meaningful change to durability.

The only thing I'd add is that the side buckles are pretty useless imo. In fact the shock cord snapped when I was trying to use it to strap on a compact umbrella. Visvim did send me replacement shock cord for what it's worth though -- after several emails and about a month waiting.

Fuck that, $800+ for a pack and the straps are bullshit? This is horrid.

They've had a approx a couple of thousand £'s worth of orders from me in the past so are pretty much ok when they are taking your money but they wouldn't help with the back pack and then decided to block my email address as I politely told them this was bad service. FIL, disappointingly, won't help either, unless I cough up almost 70% of the price of a new bag!

• 2 weeks later...

any suggestions for a floppy daypack like this?

tumblr_lltr4cKnlK1qc83lzo1_500.jpg

Been looking for this backpack for a while. I feel like it would be perfect for me to use everyday because i'm on the move a lot so I want to be able to carry a pair of shoes, my macbook air, and my portable hard drive with me at all times.

Fuck that, $800+ for a pack and the straps are bullshit? This is horrid.

Yeah, that would be unacceptable on a pack costing a quarter of that. At this point you'd have to be an idiot to fork out that much money for a deficient product.

• 2 weeks later...

r7kdBdF.jpg

Oh Head Porter. I think that Lexdray is probably similar quality for a great deal less money but I do prefer Head Porter's designs.