Sugarcane 1947 – The Broox Story

kiya

In November when Self Edge first opened we started about ten different projects all related to what denim actually means to us. Over the next year or so as each project comes to an end we'd like to share with everybody our stories and findings..

On November 16 2006 we gave a pair of one-wash Sugarcane 1947 jeans to a local San Francisco resident named Broox at no cost. The idea was that he'd wear the jeans for as long as they'd last and at the end, return them to us. Broox is not just any resident of this city, he chooses to live on the streets.

Broox has a full time job as a chef at one of San Francisco's best known fine dining restaurants, he has some money, he has an expensive bicycle, and a very nice camera. Yet at the end of the day he finds being tied to one home too constricting, so he's chosen a life on the streets. He's not addicted to drugs or alcohol, he just prefers life in the out of doors.

Over the time that Broox wore these jeans he took a few short trips around the country train hopping, slept in abandoned buildings around the Bay Area, went to shows and bars in the City, and held his usual full time job.

He had them on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from November 16 2006 to July 6 2007, they were washed two times. During that period we repaired them for him once, but while on one of his trips he tore a hole in the crotch, he found some denim and patched it using a needle and mouth floss as stitching.

This is the story of Broox, through his jeans.

828981784_52c38a1b82-710940.jpg

828112627_f88076a1c6-784645.jpg

828966036_24ead7bf44-742598.jpg

828106157_41edaa5e3e-743287.jpg

828994440_a3a6add6a1-753660.jpg

828101561_987f85634c-743242.jpg

828110791_cd5c6370d1-784601.jpg

Photos: AYN

I want to know how a man manages to have a nice bike, a nice camera, and a full time job and lives on the street. Even in a place like SF where the weather is rather amenable that's still pretty impressive. He must have a storage space or something.

must find a homeless man to break in my jeans for me.

Right but it will need to be a homeless man who doesn't do drugs or drink, or sleep in a pile of his own droppings, etc.

Anyways then it wont be YOUR wear and what's the fun in that?

Interesting experiment.

Still, that's weird how the fading is not more contrasty while the jeans have only been washed twice. I would have thought whiskers would have formed and stayed in place. I guess it also depends on how he wore them. Any pics of the jeans being worn?

Interesting experiment.

Still, that's weird how the fading is not more contrasty while the jeans have only been washed twice. I would have thought whiskers would have formed and stayed in place. I guess it also depends on how he wore them. Any pics of the jeans being worn?

24 hours a day...on a homeless guy...working in a restaurant.

I'd say there's plenty of contrast given the environment.

Really cool project kiya. These jeans are very nicely worn in.

Weak honeycombs??? Every pair of worn-in jeans will look different, with stronger contrasts and fade marks in different areas depending on fit, and the wearer's lifestyle.

These jeans certainly do tell a story. Again, keep up the good work kiya!

i think he goes into one of those phone booths and turns into super hobo kidding aside yeah tip has a point? with all the dirt from sleeping on the street how do you expect him to cook at a restaurant? and while wearing those dirty jeans... how??!?!

i think he goes into one of those phone booths and turns into super hobo kidding aside yeah tip has a point? with all the dirt from sleeping on the street how do you expect him to cook at a restaurant? and while wearing those dirty jeans... how??!?!

i meant my previous question without any aspersions on his character as suggested by this...

i meant my previous question without any aspersions on his character as suggested by this...

well yeah what do you with what you said? you trying to be clean here? be mr. goody two shoes? tsk tsk tsk.. well yeah how doea he freaking cook? with all the dirt..