Post some "Next level" shit.

theLorax

I dunno man.. people get all uppity when mass production techniques are applied to their food, but how else are we going to feed an entire nation? People wish it was still mom and pop, tenderly cutting and preparing each breast, sealed with a kiss as they hand it to you in some brown paper bag wrapped twine. Well, big news, but those mass production facilities have strictly regulated safety standards. That pink goo looks gross now, but it has been verified by some smart folks to be "safe for consumption." Same doesn't necessarily apply to mom and pop.. nobody can get after her for neglecting to mention that cold sore on her lip :P

When its not mass food production, people LOVE IT. You don't hear anybody screaming OH GROSS when they learn how their silverware is produced in china at 1500 units/minute.

Well you don't eat your silverware so the logic changes. How strictly regulated is also up for debate. The logic of your argument is that "it's a big business that the government gives some rules so they have to be doing it right" which is begging the question. Notice how there are fairly regularly food contamination scares? Not that this wasn't a problem in the past either, but I think it's fairly obviously that health and safety are only priorities up to a point.

And that's not even getting to the heart of the matter of whether food is something that should be mass-produced like other widgets. Yes it's good that poor people can afford food, but if that food is made of empty-calorie McChicken goo, is the system really working?

#alwaysupforafoodethicsdebate

Well you don't eat your silverware so the logic changes. How strictly regulated is also up for debate. The logic of your argument is that "it's a big business that the government gives some rules so they have to be doing it right" which is begging the question. Notice how there are fairly regularly food contamination scares? Not that this wasn't a problem in the past either, but I think it's fairly obviously that health and safety are only priorities up to a point.

And that's not even getting to the heart of the matter of whether food is something that should be mass-produced like other widgets. Yes it's good that poor people can afford food, but if that food is made of empty-calorie McChicken goo, is the system really working?

#alwaysupforafoodethicsdebate

I disagree on the silverware point. What about lead present in cheap chinese wares? That can be far more dangerous than a food bug. If you don't clean your silverware correctly or well enough, then its as if you are eating dirty food.

You're right, its true that health regulations are only priorities up to a certain point - but thats life. Every facet of life is subject to tolerances because nothing can be made perfect. The fact is, i feel safe in the united states walking into a food establishment or grocery store and consuming what ever I please, and I see that as evidence of a working system. No promises you won't get the shits however. On the other hand, i've had what i see as food poisoning, (its difficult to know for sure) on two occasions, once abroad, but I won't let that stop me from eating where I want.

Back to chicken mcgoo - the production of this disgusting shit is held to the same standards as the $8/lb organic chicken breasts you buy at the co-op. You can't disagree with that. The government does not regulate the health content nor does it weigh in on philosophic "should we" questions. Lobbyist may fenagle the rules and mad scientists may come up with this goo shit, but I feel these regulations allow me to live in relative safety. should I eat this goo? thats an entirely different question, which is obviously NO!

^If you're interested in reading the book, you can find it here:

http://www.suicidenote.info/ebook/suicide_note.pdf

Rep owed. This is some serious genius. I will be reading this out of genuine interest and macabre fascination.

I've been reading it for a while. The writing style is tedious, and he tends to repeat himself quite often. Also, I probably don't know nearly enough about sociobiology to do justice to his introduction.

I will say, however, that he presents a pretty salient argument for nihilism in a readily comprehensive way. Unlike Nietchzche and some of the more Nihilist leaning Existentialists whose philosophies are often obfuscated by narrative and unnecessarily obtuse, his ideology is presented in a pretty straightforward manner.

Actually I just read the first few pages, got bored and played that flash game with the monkey and the balloons

the guy was just lost and happend to be knowledgeable and able to explain himself well. no different from any other suicide imo

Yeah it's not like there's a scarcity of artists and intellectuals who have killed themselves. dime a dozen. also if he's so smart why would he feel the need to scar a Harvard touring group

Memristors are very interesting devices. Essentially, the effects of any computer component can be emulated or recreated through the arrangement of any combination of the three fundamental electronic devices. Those are: resistor, capacitor, inductor. Back in the 60's a guy out of Berkley theorized a fourth fundamental electronic component, and these guys at HP recently discovered it.

This and graphene (won nobel prize in physics this past week) are both exciting new materials bound to affect our life in some way over the next few decades!