Show us your knife

• 2 weeks later...

yeah the tiger stripes are from the heat treat

(the bos heat treat results in the dark area; the light area is from masking before the bead blasting)

i do wonder about the concealed carry version

but i love the blockiness of the lego

the g10 is green

on this computer it looks black

weird

Sun's out today, so snapped a phone pic of my assortment for fun and to share.

IMG_1087.jpg

SAK w/ longer locking blade, circa ~'95. Can't recall model name

Delica from same era. All plastic body and clip. Light!

Ambitious. Just picked up for a smaller EDC

CRKT B.U.L.L Solid w/ a nice action. Pleasant to use. Been the EDC for the last 18 months or so.

• 5 months later...

my knives can no longer cut bread

I'd like to learn how sharpen them to an extreme level (whittle hairs, cut wet tissue), but don't want to spend too much - or at least to begin with.

what's a good start?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a little big for EDC, especially with business attire during the workweek. Additionally, I travel by plane a few times a month so EDC'ing a pocketknife is pretty infrequent for me these days. However, weekends will often find me carrying this clipped to my front pocket.

It's a handmade custom Tom Mayo folder, titanium framelock with a 3.75" Stellite/6K blade. I've owned it for 7 yrs now and of all the knives I've owned, it's by far my favorite (and one of the few that I didn't sell). I got to know the maker after collecting several of his knives over the last ten yrs or so.

My collecting days are gone but I do appreciate a fine mechanical watch and a well made knife. I will likely pass both down to my kids one day.

DSCN2462.jpg

DSCN2467.jpg

42748432.DSCN2448.jpg

so I went with a sharpmaker instead. ultra fine rods coming in soon

any tips?

I've had a sharpmaker for almost 10 yrs and love it. IMO, you are better off getting the more abrasive diamond rods rather than the ultrafine rods. The issue with the sharpmaker is that if your knife isn't profiled to the sharpmaker's preset angles, the standard medium/brown rod doesn't remove enough material to re-profile it to the 30 or 40 deg angle (or whatever they are).

With the diamond rods, you can [eventually] re-profile your knives to the sharpmaker's angles and then they are a snap to maintain. The sharpmaker is great at maintaining blades that are already profiled to its angles but get a knife that's a significantly different angle and you will be sharpening forever...esp with the stock brown rods.

With that said, it keeps all of my knives shaving sharp, even the tougher steels like S30V, 154CM, etc. which can be difficult to sharpen without a diamond stone or rod (in the case of the sharpmaker).

Thought I'd add some old images from my collection. I no longer own most of these, but I found Tom Mayo Custom knives to offer exactly what I wanted in a EDC custom knife.

DSCN2421.jpg

And some unique Mayo customs:

This was the largest folder Tom had made at the time. It was hand forged damascus by Master bladesmith, Ed Caffrey. The blade was enormous, 5+ inches.

DSCN2742.jpg

This was one I really regret selling as it was one of the first "Covert" folders tom had made (covert is the model name he used). It's completely anti-magnetic. A sub 3" blade of Stellite, ti frame and even the screws are ti. Nice touch is the ghosted logo. Wish I kept it.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Lastly, many of you are familiar with Chris Reeve knives (CRK) and the Sebenza. Scott Cook used to work for CRK and left to make his own designs. The most recognizable is the Lochsa, a frame lock carved from a solid chunk of titanium. Scott doesn't even take orders any more as there is such a long wait list.

I waited 3 yrs for this one in damascus:

DSCN4644.jpg

DSCN4630.jpg

DSCN4643.jpg

This image is of another Lochsa folder I owned (before the damascus version) and shows the handle milled from a solid piece of ti. It's not two pieces afixed by screws and a spacers...it's one piece. Too cool!

picture.JPG

Ummm.... Holy fuck dude.

That last mayo is is the shit.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The only solace I can find in that huge folder, the covert and the Lochsa is that I bought them all directly from the makers, Tom Mayo and Scott Cook (after long, multi-year waits) and after owning them for a few years, I sold them at a tidy little profit on the 2ndary market.

I wasn't really out to make a buck but I kinda lost interest over the years and realized I had thousands tied up in knives that were sitting in a safe at home. The ones I used I kept...but in retrospect, I should have held onto that Covert and the Lochsa. Those are simply one-of-a-kind knives that I could pass down to my kids one day :)

Oh well...live and learn.

Yeah man that's nuts. I almost got in a craze but I stopped at 1 custom.

I'm really liking my BM 940 right now tho... Kind of weird.

I just don't mind doing anything with it. Don't get me wrong tho, I used the shit out of my custom, just not as carelessly as I use my 940.

I really wanted a Brad Southard flipper... and a Mayo :(

• 3 years later...

Bumping this old ass thread - what is a good really small folding knife or multitool? I'm talking keychain size that you can actually keep in your pocket with your keys. a blade would be the most important but doesn't hurt if it has some other basic tools.

i have had a lot of small multi-tools - i think the Victorinox Manager is the most important and most used thing i carry around daily.

for a keychain-sized knife that is ergonomic and useful, the Spyderco Ladybug is it. i could easily get away having that as my only knife. i've spent vacations in non-knife friendly towns with that as my only knife and i was fine.

if you don't want a locking knife and if it doesn't have to live on your keychain, something like the Case Peanut would work.

if you want to give the Ladybug a go, give me your address and i'll send you mine.