Show us your knife

at least it looks nice in display.

ever consider a custom balisong? those are real fancy.

yeah, i've thought about it, but figured for that price, i might as well buy a gun.

those 29knives ones are really nice. All handmade iirc. I saw a custom one from a guy in the phillipines which had a bottle opener. pretty crazy

haha yeah that's true, but i believe that knives have a lot more beauty in them when it comes down to collecting.

...also because i'm not of legal age to purchase a gun yet, and i don't need one anytime soon... :)

it sucks because you need to be 21 to even touch a bullet.

SOG Flash II

A simple utility knife that snaps open easily and is very solid.

I've punched through doors, windows, cut bone, and many other things.

Had to tighten opening as to avoid "gravity knife" charge by the pork authority.

Stock Image.

Also always carry a $3 multitool fake gerber- I prefer my tools disposable.

p924677dt.jpg

New York is a scared bitches town as far as self defence law is concerned, if you have a knife that flips open easily with one hand, the pigs charge you with posession of a gravity knife, which is illegal, even though it's completely different things.

Basically you can't have anything on you at all and anything you use for self-defence will be called a weapon in court.

what do you meant by "gravity knife" ?

man, i want an otf knife, but those things are illegal in california, and i don't go out enough to know where in chinatown i can pick one up.

if it's a manual folder they can't charge you with a gravity knife. if you're using that knife for selfdefense and assuming you use it successfully i'm pretty sure the offender would be more interested in hauling ass to a hospital than trying to figure out how to sue you...assuming this is some random street mugging type deal.

if you know the offender then you must be able to show that they had the intent to harm or kill. which more or less means you'll need to be battered and bruised before you'll have a chance to convince the jury that you were indeed fighting for your life with a blade.

if you're dumb enough to pop a knife in front of the police...well, then you sure as hell deserve to get shot.

and to kentthenoob, if you want an OTF knife PM me

Are you from New York? You sure don't know how this town works.

A black male that lives in my building was stopped-and-frisked just yesterday.

Yeah, I presume for being black. Without probable cause. Happens all the time here. Police practice.

So thats as far as your "popping in front of the police" argument goes.

Don't breed confusion making blanket statements about what you know nothing about.

if it's a manual folder they can't charge you with a gravity knife. if you're using that knife for selfdefense and assuming you use it successfully i'm pretty sure the offender would be more interested in hauling ass to a hospital than trying to figure out how to sue you...assuming this is some random street mugging type deal.

if you know the offender then you must be able to show that they had the intent to harm or kill. which more or less means you'll need to be battered and bruised before you'll have a chance to convince the jury that you were indeed fighting for your life with a blade.

if you're dumb enough to pop a knife in front of the police...well, then you sure as hell deserve to get shot.

and to kentthenoob, if you want an OTF knife PM me

i lived in Endicott for a short period of time, that's prolly the closest i've been to NYC...traveled up to NYC a couple of times during my stay but apparently not in your part of town.

so what happened? was he caught with a knife? if so, was he caught with a manual folder? if so, was the manual folder within legal limits? if so, did the police arrest him? if so, any lawyer or court appointed counsel would call bullshit and have the charges thrown out faster than Paris Hilton can drop her panties...hell i would even think the shift sergeant or whichever senior rank in charge would be bitching wtf are they doing wasting time with a trumped up knife charge...unless of course you're black cause then it seems everything is illegal right?

i'm currently CJS/BIO major and unless NYPD is a special breed from LAPD, Dallas PD, Chicago PD and some other ones i've studied and observed i can't really imagine them being arsed going around creating more grunt work for themselves by arresting every black man with a knife. i mean, even racist officers eventually get tired of acting like an asshole 24/7...believe me, observing these guys was a constant decision between running away in fear of they might bash my head in for being a chink or finishing my assignment. if the district/county/minor courts are anything similar to the overworked/understaffed/underpaid/disillusioned ones in the respective cities i mentioned above then i find it hard to believe that the judge would waste the time, money and patience just to prosecute one more black guy carrying a pocket knife who was arrested by some gungho cop...or maybe it is like that in NY, i dunno, didn't stay long enough to get in trouble with the law to find out.

when i was staying there it was made known to me carrying sub 4" inch blade, single edge, manual folder, concealed was allowed. i carried a Strider SnG around with no problems at all...but then again i'm asian so maybe that had something to do with it. so yeah, maybe i don't know all that much about where you're from in NYC but being a 5th year CJS student i'm pretty sure i can carry a conversation in regards to the legality of police searches and/or knife laws. i'm also an avid knife and gun collector so i'm more than sure i can debate the nuances in knife steels, scale material, locking mechanisml, blade grinds, knife makers, the rising cost of titanium if you'd like as well.

Are you from New York? You sure don't know how this town works.

A black male that lives in my building was stopped-and-frisked just yesterday.

Yeah, I presume for being black. Without probable cause. Happens all the time here. Police practice.

So thats as far as your "popping in front of the police" argument goes.

Don't breed confusion making blanket statements about what you know nothing about.

Wow this is going to be fun when we all meet up! I can imagine everyone showing off our leather, denim and cold hard steel. ^_^

Good thing I'm taking the bus instead of the plane, I can take a gangload of weapo... er... tools with me.

i fucking love butterfly knives. i think i love them more than i love beer.

Ditto, sadly butterfly knives aren't as quick to love us back.

When I was in a pilipino club in college I decided to get into these in hopes of gettiing in touch with my culture. And boy did I almost have an intimate time with it. Being an adventurous goof I tried to do a trick with it while driving home, and almost drove it through the crotch of my denim.

I stick to foldable pocket knives now.

benzslrpee, you're actually displaying cop mentality, sadly. You think you can talk about the law without actually knowing the law.

And of course logic of argument is not on the agenda for you either. People are routinely frisked on the street without probable cause, so "dumb enough to pop in front of police" is not the case at all. See the point?

I'm going to quote New York City law for the benefits of others, since you are beyond educational efforts.

New York - Penal Law Section 265.01. A person is guilty of

criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when: []

5. "Gravity knife" means any

knife that has blade which is released from the handle or

sheath thereof by the force of gravity of the application

of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in

place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other

device.

Now apply that statement

to any spring-assisted folder that you flip open with "centrifugal force" and

you have a catch-them-all excuse for cops.

To quote a recent incident I personally know and followed- a friend was pulled over for riding a

bicycle through the projects across the street. The cops found a 3 inch folder (not assisted)

on him. His ID was expired.

He was detained for further questioning and also for "posession of a dangerous weapon".

He got out 5 days later.

Typical New York story for some of us.

Multiple cases similar to the above have been brought up in courts, and anybody competent enough with

a legal document search can find both dismissals and charges, depending on the defendant, judge, cops, etc.

American Knife institute is properly outraged:

http://www.akti.org/news-updates/NYBust.html

And the same legal blanket is used by cops today

So benzslrpee, just talk about the necessity of not bending down for soap at

police academy showers or other areas you are directly experienced at.

And to get this thread back on topic- here's a little something

I have in my house upstate

It's so ugly, it was love at first site

boy.jpg

Wow this is going to be fun when we all meet up! I can imagine everyone showing off our leather, denim and cold hard steel. ^_^

Good thing I'm taking the bus instead of the plane, I can take a gangload of weapo... er... tools with me.

Ditto, sadly butterfly knives aren't as quick to love us back.

When I was in a pilipino club in college I decided to get into these in hopes of gettiing in touch with my culture. And boy did I almost have an intimate time with it. Being an adventurous goof I tried to do a trick with it while driving home, and almost drove it through the crotch of my denim.

I stick to foldable pocket knives now.

i love butterfly knives. tricks aren't that hard, they appear hard.

GFallblk.jpg

Stock photo from elsewhere. Protech Godfather. Don't really carry it anymore. It's really slim for the size, but still kinda bulky, and I'm not too sure of the carry laws in Oregon for autos. I still kinda want a smaller OTF auto though, maybe with a little more contoured grip. Probably should learn how to use the thing first...