Show us your knife

I carry a mini Leatherman at all times (well, except when going through airports). Most useful thing attached to my keychain after the keys to my apartment.

le19.jpg

I have to say that I really don't really get the military knives at all. Sure the design that goes into the Microtech stuff is cool, but it's much less useful a day-to-day tool* than a Swiss Army knife or something like the Laguiole (beautiful pics up top, by the way). Why anyone would carry a knife primarily for personal protection use is beyond me...if you pull one on someone and they respond by producing a gun, you're fucked. If someone pulls one on you, do you really want to get into a knife fight? Just get the fuck out of there.

* Unless, you know, you're an EMT or Jack Bauer.

haha funny you mention that

the only reason why i carry a blade is because of the fact that I am an EMT

I have used my knife many a time to help someone or do something in my line of work, another benefit being thta police usually do not confiscate my blade due to my occupation

knives are one of the oldest tools known to man, and stil one of the most important

if i were to be stranded on an island a la bear grylls, the first thing i would ask for is a nice sharp, strong and incredibly honed bowie knife or utility blade...

a newer cold steel model the Natchez Bowie

just ordered it a few days back, i LOVE camping hence why knives mean so much to be

833918_d.jpg

I also think it's very classy when you're having a big piece of meat at a restaurant and you've got your own razorsharp knife to cut it with.
This isn't classy at all. It sounds like something someone raised out in the woods would do.

I disagree, and I actually believe the opposite.

In my opinion it shows a certain level of sofistication and also respect towards the person who prepared the food with great care, that the one eating it also takes great care into cutting it and eating it and I believe that it's perfectly okay if you prefer your own knife over the (often very blunt) restaurant one.

Sphoxx, great knife and beautifull pictures!

Justiz2, can't tell you more about it unfortunatly, but it looks very nice with the leather sheath aswell.

Funny that someone posted a Leatherman, since is was thinking about the carrying a weapon around thing last night and I figured that while a Leatherman could be seen as the ideal allaround tool it also has all the features to cut up a human body in such small pieces that it would be easy to ge rid off, knife, saw etc.

In the end it's what you do with a tool that makes what it is, be it a stick, a rock or a chainsaw.

A tool is only an extension of the person using it.

Funny that someone posted a Leatherman, since is was thinking about the carrying a weapon around thing last night and I figured that while a Leatherman could be seen as the ideal allaround tool it also has all the features to cut up a human body in such small pieces that it would be easy to ge rid off, knife, saw etc.

In the end it's what you do with a tool that makes what it is, be it a stick, a rock or a chainsaw.

A tool is only an extension of the person using it.

i love this thread!

Guest Airjamie
Have you got any cleaning tips? There are some rust on the blade already, would like to get rid of it.

Aside from the fact that its rusting so its obviously a highcarbon blade, you need to ascertain the type of steel used in the blade in order to select a proper cleaning solution. However, one thing i can tell you, always always ALWAYS use a brand new, 100% cotton cloth. I cant stress that part enough. Ask any serious knife collector and thats the first thing hell tell you. Also, in being that those particular knives are commonly used for cleaning fish, there is a good possibility that fish entrails, blood, saltwater, or even dirt and other corrosive material could be stashed inside the sheath (especially if its fur-lined) so id check that right away, you may need to find some other way to store it.

Edit: If youre looking to turn this knife into an heirloom, I would certainly reccomend a polish and oil for the handle. It looks to me to be sheephorn? This is a very common material in hunting/fishing types of harduse knives as it is quite resiliant, however with a good buff and polish it can become quite beautiful. You will also need to take care to keep the leather spacers oiled in order to keep them from drying up and shrinking, in which case you may need to get the handle refitted.

My guess is that Raised By Wolves is a whiteboy and got knocked for doing graffiti in a white neighborhood. East 110th is in Spanish Harlem, which has a high murder rate. I guess the cop was saying to Raised that if he was such a thug writing graf in soft neighborhoods, it'd be a different story in El Barrio, as the consequence would be a lot harsher than police harassment.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

I'll admit to know quite little on cutlery but Laguiole is of course a staple of french tradition. Every respectable french family has at least one laying around! Here is a picture of ours, it was a gift to my stepdad dated from 1994 as you can see on the blade. It sits by the living room bar. As you can see by its condition it has been put to quite good use (my stepdad is a real handyman).

laguiole1mp1.jpg

laguiole2mn7.jpg

laguiole3rh6.jpg

I never paid to much attention to it, so thanks to the thread starter for sparking my interest ( beautifull model you have as well btw ) and educating me on it's history ! I am now thinking of getting one of my own, perhaps the Starck chrome version, if i can hunt one down..

I also happened to be invited for dinner last night ( bastille day ) at this old noble french families place. They own a humongous three story mini mansion a block away from the Eiffel Tower, which was a prime spot to watch the fireworks, but anyways, each of the guests was awarded a fine Laguiole to assist their meal. Apparently you can purchase whole dinner sets of 6, 12 or 24.

• 2 months later...
can't link to better pictures because my work blocks "weapons" sites (jesus...), but i've carried a benchmade 690 for the last five or six years. here's an ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Benchmade-690-Rosewood-Carbon-Fiber-Plain-Edge-MIB_W0QQitemZ110147442104QQcmdZViewItem

it's a beautiful folder designed by allen elishewitz: rosewood and carbon scales, titanium frame/liner, and mine's numbered 27/1000 from the first production run... doubt i'll ever need another pocketknife!

i want to comment about how nice this knife is. keeping a lookout for one of these next, thanks snuggle.

36f11qp7.jpg

Mine is just a cheap knife but I love the way it looks:

CE-MT1221-Large.jpg

I have an old hunting knife as well, used to be really nice but I didn't take good care of it. I also use a Victorinox multi tool sometimes.

nope. the first production run was a polished 154cm stainless blade, with a plain edge. i've had a few half-serrated blades before, and, honestly, i've really never needed to saw through anything with a pocket knife. a sharp, longer edge, though, comes in handy all the time. i can't speak to the black coating, performance-wise -- i guess i just like the look of steel better.

I like my knives super simple. This is the one I carry everyday. I can't remember the model, but it is made buy Gerber. It has an aluminum handle and the blade is just under 4" so it's street legal in NYC. I did get stopped by a cop once who told me I couldn't have the clip showing out of my pocket which I thought was kind of strange.

gerber.jpg