Show us your knife

So what's the deal with not being able to carry self-defense stuff in big cities? I'm moving to Chicago and a friend who lives there was saying even pepper spray is illegal there. But they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands...

In Sydney, you get up to 2 years jail no questions asked, if found carrying a knife.

I want to carry one, the suburb i live in is dodgy... don't really want jail time though :( .

i carry this one most days though, just because its less suspiscious....

this is seriously, one of the cheaper and yet suprisingly sharp knives that have lasted me for over 4 years

sp45sbl.jpg

and then my other one:

Cold%20Steel%20Ti-Lite%20(26SP).jpg

That is a beautiful knife you have Cotton Duck. If you have seen the movie SWAT with colin ferrell, I think the french bad guy kills his uncle with a similar style knife?

what is it about knives anyways, for some reason I've found them fascinating ever since I was a kid but to be honest I couldn't say why exactly. I have a few and I hardly ever use them, the only one I ever use is a swiss type one.

this one I got while in the military, went through quite a bit of crap and its in very good shape, so has served pretty well. favorite thing is the blade movement which is very smooth.

smif.jpg

I see two different types of knife owners emerging here.

1. People who carry an object that is a useful tool and/or means something to them.

2. People who carry a weapon.

Knife culture and carrying weapons here in the UK is becoming pretty much out of control, with kids getting stabbed all over the place. A kid I know (like a nephew to me) got stabbed at school for stepping in and stopping some bullies picking on a girl, through his liver and was close to death in intensive care for weeks.

Carrying a utility tool while working outdoors or camping is one thing, carrying a switchblade while commuting on the underground is another thing entirely.

I don't carry a knive anymore since I live in Amsterdam. While growing up I did, but my parents live on a farm in a small town. My father collects weapons, mostly antique, so I grew up around a lot of knives and swords. He is also a hunter and the knives he really uses are mostly for that and cleaning the animals. The knive I had was one of his old hunting knives, it was an antler and had a really nice blade, but I don't know the name anymore of the alloy it was made of. To bad I lost it:o .

I have always been fascinated by knives and other weapons, but don't feel the need for having one now that I don't have a practical need for it. I don't like carrying a knive in the city.

Maybe I would get a knive If I would start hunting myself or had a other practical need for it. I would never carry a knive of the kind some people post here with me, because it it's way more a weapon then a tool. When I need a knive as a tool, I might get a nice one again.

I like the knive Cotton Duck posted, it has what attracts me the most about weapons which is sort of tradition and local history. It probably has it's own look and feel because of the place where it was made and the people it was made by. I like weapons that say something about a culture.

I don't carry a knive anymore since I live in Amsterdam. While growing up I did, but my parents live on a farm in a small town. My father collects weapons, mostly antique, so I grew up around a lot of knives and swords. He is also a hunter and the knives he really uses are mostly for that and cleaning the animals. The knive I had was one of his old hunting knives, it was an antler and had a really nice blade, but I don't know the name anymore of the alloy it was made of. To bad I lost it:o .

I have always been fascinated by knives and other weapons, but don't feel the need for having one now that I don't have a practical need for it. I don't like carrying a knive in the city.

As a kid I also had a nasty accident with one of my fathers samurai sword and cut a tendon in my foot, so I am now very careful with blades. Maybe I would get a knive If I would start hunting myself or had a other practical need for it. I would never carry a knive of the kind some people post here with me, because it it's way more a weapon then a tool. When I need a knive as a tool, I might get a nice one again.

I like the knive Cotton Duck posted, it has what attracts me the most about weapons which is sort of tradition and local history. It probably has it's own look and feel because of the place where it was made and the people it was made by. I like weapons that say something about a culture.

my sentiment exactly. +rep

hence me asking the people with such modern/military/combat knives if they are looking to shank people, and getting a useless response from percy ingle up there.

my pop also gave me a knife when i was about 12, i used it to make sticks into arrows. but i dont carry a knife now. id much rather have a brawl. even if i took a bit of a beating id rather that than have to go on trial and face possible jail time.

The world's most elegant cutlery

In a throwaway society, here is an object you will keep for the rest of your life, then leave to your grandchildren

I'll quote this again since it pretty much sums up why I started this thread and also why I made the link between watches and good leather shoes.

A knife to me is essentially a tool, and yes it also is a weapon. But a rock would also be enough to kill someone.

I use mine almost daily, be it to open a bottle of wine (I don't even have a corkscrew at home) or to slice bread when I'm at work.

I could never imagine pulling it at someone, (let alone stab someone) and even if I would it doesn't open very quickly, so I doubt how much use it wold be if I ever got into a fight.

Besides I don't carry it in my pocket but in my bag and that's probably the first thing I'd get rid of if I would have to fight someone.

My dad also has a Laguiole knife that he inhereted from my mothers father, it's somewhere in a cupboard since he doesn't carry it, but I'll see if I can take some pics of it.

Miz, I saw a beautifull Japanese pocketknife last summer adn it was quite cheap aswell. Should've picked it up actually. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Highstreet, Fresco(get money) and Cotton all have made good points. I want to speak on this quick cause I feel I might get lumped into the "knife as weapon" crew for my mention of "shanking" in my first post.

I recieved my first knife many years ago from my father. It was a simple small Swiss army with a blade, nail file, and can opener. It was the gesture of giving that made me happiest, and his recognition of some sort of passage into adolescence, and the resposibiltiy that comes with it.

I have since had many a knife, more often than not, a gift from pops. I lost one of my first Spyderco's to the police in a chase at 17yrs old. I had escaped, but they caught me with some trickery, and after chasing me down, emptied my pockets all over the sidewalk, took any valuables they wanted, told me to " go write my name on east 110th Street and see what happens" (I did), and let me go. I got another one soon after, and I think I still have it in a drawer somewhere.

During the period where the above took place, I thought that I needed a knife, #1 for it's utility purposes, #2 for protection. In between that spyderco, and the benchmade, I often carried a cheap metal boxcutter, you know, the ones that take replaceble blades. I had my hand go to it more than once, but never pulled it. it is a foolish decision to pull out something you are not fully confident using. I think if need be, I could get myself out of just about any potentially violent/dangerous situation without stabbing someone, so after a while, I quit carrying that shit too. I got friends who have had one come in handy when getting jumped by a few dudes, but also friends who have had them put to their throat simply so someone bigger could threaten or provoke them. That is never cool.

In conclusion, I was only carrying the benchmade I mentioned earlier in the thread, because A. I use one quite frequently in my line of work, and B. It had become force of habit. Yes, the clip on my right front pocket I am sad to say made me feel "safe". It was a sad irony that the same police who would later take that from me, told me to "get a box cutter" when I protested that it was of legal length, and used for landscaping tasks.

A good knife has a great many uses...

A boxcutter is only good for two things...

Opening a box.

Or opening a man's face.

The end.

I carry a mini Leatherman at all times (well, except when going through airports). Most useful thing attached to my keychain after the keys to my apartment.

le19.jpg

I have to say that I really don't really get the military knives at all. Sure the design that goes into the Microtech stuff is cool, but it's much less useful a day-to-day tool* than a Swiss Army knife or something like the Laguiole (beautiful pics up top, by the way). Why anyone would carry a knife primarily for personal protection use is beyond me...if you pull one on someone and they respond by producing a gun, you're fucked. If someone pulls one on you, do you really want to get into a knife fight? Just get the fuck out of there.

* Unless, you know, you're an EMT or Jack Bauer.

I have to say that I really don't really get the military knives at all. Sure the design that goes into the Microtech stuff is cool, but it's much less useful a day-to-day tool* than a Swiss Army knife or something like the Laguiole (beautiful pics up top, by the way). Why anyone would carry a knife primarily for personal protection use is beyond me...if you pull one on someone and they respond by producing a gun, you're fucked. If someone pulls one on you, do you really want to get into a knife fight? Just get the fuck out of there.

* Unless, you know, you're an EMT or Jack Bauer.

For real, knife fights aren't trifling. People leave either dead or seriously injured. Still, where I live, getting mugged is a serious possibility and most muggers don't have guns(but some do. try your luck, I guess)

Guest Airjamie

I have to say that I really don't really get the military knives at all. Sure the design that goes into the Microtech stuff is cool, but it's much less useful a day-to-day tool* than a Swiss Army knife or something like the Laguiole

What? How the fuck is it less useful that any other pocket knife?

Guest Airjamie
sphoxx that is really awesome man. thats really great.

it has a corkscrew. dumbass

Do strangers just walk up to you on the fucking street and ask you to open bottles of wine? Shut the fuck up, i didnt even mention your ancient looking piece of shit.

BTW; Stick the blade in, twist, pull....dumbass.

Got this knife a few years back as a present from Finland. Totally forgot about them, been sitting in my drawer since then. There was a small booklet that came with it but couldn't find it anymore. Can anyone share any care/cleaning tips? The knife looks really well made and wouldn't want it to rust away

Cool thread by the way.... :-)

Knife.jpg

KnifeCloseup.jpg

As a lowly west-coaster I have no idea what this means. Please. Enlighten.

My guess is that Raised By Wolves is a whiteboy and got knocked for doing graffiti in a white neighborhood. East 110th is in Spanish Harlem, which has a high murder rate. I guess the cop was saying to Raised that if he was such a thug writing graf in soft neighborhoods, it'd be a different story in El Barrio, as the consequence would be a lot harsher than police harassment.