Show us your knife

whoa wtf? cop mentality? police academy showers? i can talk about the law without knowing it? umm...so far i have 5 years worth of criminology and biology classes i would hope i'd learn something about the law considering i'm working my ass off to put myself through college. be quite a waste of money otherwise. i have a choice between going to law school or med school and i'm choosing the latter. no aspirations to be a cop whatsoever :D.

i'm pretty sure i'm logical in my explanation of NYC knife laws: sub 4", single edge, manual operation (there's already a precedent for knives that you're able to flick out with your wrist while operating a thumbstud as completely 100% legal) and concealed...and don't wave it around in front of a cop. if someone went to NYC they could/can use that with full knowledge that they are complying with the law, no?

getting searched without probable cause and getting charged on an illegal search is a whole other issue...i understand that it negates the "concealed" factor in "not wearing the knife in open" when a cop just decides to frisk you but that doesn't make the law any less legal because some jackass decides to ignore constitutional rights. i'm kind of getting the idea you that you think i condone the action or i don't fully grasp the racial profiling behavior...i believe i said that people should get a lawyer to get rid of the bullshit charges that resulted and/or any self-respecting ranking officer in charge would have bitched out the cop that wasted tax payer's dollars on something miniscule as a 3" folder (in your friends case) and claiming that as more severe "dangerous weapon" charge...not to mention the legality of the search. i mean, i'm siding with you on this whole entire issue no? :confused: even the article you posted pretty much summed that the NYPD IA thought the whole "special knife task force" was pretty stupid, not legal and warranted further attention...so uhh...why do you say i'm beyond educational efforts?

but like you said, this is veering from the original topic...back to knives :cool:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

a friend brought me a beautiful balisong from the philippines as a gift several years ago when i did a bit of kali and arnis. handles have bone inserts and the steel holds an edge so well. if i run my finger across it with the lightest pressure i get a papercut. yummy

^^^^ I know this is kind of off-topic nf, but did they mail the knife back to you, or is there a certain length limit on knives so they can be allowed on an airplane???

I may go to asia next summer and I was thinking about trying to find a nice jack-knife or something of the sort. I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of mailing it back to myself/checking my luggage.

^^^^ I know this is kind of off-topic nf, but did they mail the knife back to you, or is there a certain length limit on knives so they can be allowed on an airplane???

I may go to asia next summer and I was thinking about trying to find a nice jack-knife or something of the sort. I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of mailing it back to myself/checking my luggage.

If you have it in your luggage in the shipping space, you can take it with you. There was also a maximum size of the blade, but don't know if it's international law. Your knife shouldn't be a weapon

Ctton duck - Nice knives. You could sharpen the blade without messing with the finish.

looking for a cheap knife to play with

CRKT hissatsu assisted folder

spyderco endura

benchmade griptilian

which is best as a toy

I'm partial to spyderco, but the griptilian is a nice choice as well.

If you have it in your luggage in the shipping space, you can take it with you. There was also a maximum size of the blade, but don't know if it's international law. Your knife shouldn't be a weapon

My knives aren't weapons, they're edged tools. :)

Old Buck Ranger 112 that needs some attention. First one to spot the difference between mine and new ones gets an e-cookie.

I carry this, my CRKT peck on keychain, and my spyderco assist on a daily basis. Trying to work in carrying my leatherman too, but I need a new case for it.

img2446.jpg

Spyderco Native, found this out walking my dogs one morning, super sturdy.:

P6070031.jpg

Don't carry this one around, but it's fun to show:

P6070032.jpg

13" switchblade, my uncle used to carry this around in the 70's when he was a cab driver in NYC.

I'll start:

my Laguiole knife,

these knifes are known the world over (and faked alot) but they originally come from a small town in the French region Aveyron.

this is a great moment indeed. i used to have one of these, and lost it with cork attached, on a trek a number of years back. i had regretted the lost for some time but could not remember the exact name. thank you for the thread and the name of the knife as i had long forgotten. i will add to this thread as soon as my replacement arrives..

^ Nice one!

cotton duck, you think it will be a problem if i were to carry around your sort of knife in nyc?

Haha, I'm in Amsterdam so I wouldn't really know. It might've been mentioned earlier in this thread though.

But I'm sure you can find stuff about it online.

I mean, maybe not about this specific knife, but if they need something against you, a knife is a knife is a knife, so....

my friend recently got his knife taken from him when he was on the subway in NYC. it wasn't a crazy knife or anything either and he told them it was for work ( he's a production assistant ) but he had to go to court and got a $100. he asked for his knife back, no dice. all they saw was the clip hanging out of his pocket and pulled him aside real quick.