Gnarliest Shit You've Seen on Discovery Channel's "Planet Earth"

So a couple of months ago, I come home at about 6:30 am, flip on the tube to find this show called Planet Earth. Has anyone seen this shit on high def? Craziest thing I saw was a pack of lions (about 20-30 of em), fucking straight up murder a full grown elephant in the dead of night. It was all shot in infrared lights. Un-freakin-believable. I just thought about that today. I might have to sell some shit, and pick up the dvds.

that show is fucking off the chain

i grew up watching marty stouffer with my dad

and i went to school with a bunch of hippies and for a brief period was hooked on getting blazed and watching nature docus

not really my thing anymore, but this new hi-def shit is next level

check out 'ocean odyssey' by the bbc

it'll blow your mind

Picture this in high definition: 15 hyenas attack a baby hippopotamus while the baby's mother stands by watching helplessly in horror. (This was almost unbearable to watch). Baby's mother assesses the sitch and has no choice but to run from the scene or else she would face certain doom as well. The baby hippo is being shredded apart, bleeding profusely, when seemingly out of nowhere, a lion comes pouncing into the melee and snatches one of the hyenas like rag doll, sending the rest of the hyenas into retreat mode, and saving the life of the baby hippo. Baby and mother hippo reunite and walk off, bloodied, beaten but together and alive.

Picture this in high definition: 15 hyenas attack a baby hippopotamus while the baby's mother stands by watching helplessly in horror. (This was almost unbearable to watch). Baby's mother assesses the sitch and has no choice but to run from the scene or else she would face certain doom as well. The baby hippo is being shredded apart, bleeding profusely, when seemingly out of nowhere, a lion comes pouncing into the melee and snatches one of the hyenas like rag doll, sending the rest of the hyenas into retreat mode, and saving the life of the baby hippo. Baby and mother hippo reunite and walk off, bloodied, beaten but together and alive.

I wonder how the producers did it?

Did they lucked out in the lion pouncing or did they unleash the lion to save the baby hippo because that would make better TV.

I wonder how the producers did it?

Did they lucked out in the lion pouncing or did they unleash the lion to save the baby hippo because that would make better TV.

they used a kind of helicopter-filmaking-technique previously not utilizied for tv, where the camera has a super long range lense, so that they can be like a mile away from the scene in the air so that the animals wont hear them and they would act as they would normally.

edit- whoops, i re read and thought you were asking how they got that shot. idunno, but you'd think it would be hard as a filmer to just watch this baby hippo get eaten alive and not be able to do anything..

edit- whoops, i re read and thought you were asking how they got that shot. idunno, but you'd think it would be hard as a filmer to just watch this baby hippo get eaten alive and not be able to do anything..

It would actually make great TV for mama and baby hippo to scamper off bruised but alive than the scene of baby hippo's dismembered carcass in the credits.

they used a kind of helicopter-filmaking-technique previously not utilizied for tv, where the camera has a super long range lense, so that they can be like a mile away from the scene in the air so that the animals wont hear them and they would act as they would normally.

i suppose if they're a truly dedicated camera crew, they realize their only purpose in the situation is to merely be the eyes for the audience, rather than arbiter in animal affairs. the animal eating the hippo would die without eating anything, and the hippo dies if it's eaten. the hippo is merely more sensational than starvation i suppose, making it seem to be the greater evil.

i bought this program in HD DVD off amazon for $60. greatest fucking show ever made. this is a must in High Def. i sugggest everyone to throw away their dvd players and buy an hd dvd or blue ray player just for PLANET EARTH.

edit: they filmed the show using HD cameras.