Nirvana Appreciation Thread

homi29

Bona. I've read numerous articles that cited him as being incredibly ambitious. just what i've seen.

he was hella bi-polar and when he said that, he was probably long gone in the heroin haze during the interview...but yea, he used to say one thing, then say the complete opposite.

lived a very very sad life.

Overrated I donno we're still talking about them. Love'm hate'm they were important, There were bands from Seattle that I personally liked better but don't know if allot of folks would have even been exposed to them if not for Nirvana. If artists didn't barrow or seal from other artists we'd still be beating rocks with sticks in caves. Killing Joke took from the Stooges, the Stooges from the MC5 and they took from Eddie Cochran and the beat goes on. There have probably been only 4 or 5 original things done in music the rest have all been variations of that. Picasso said "barrow nothing steal everything". The said part throughout history is usually the real innovators are not the ones that get fame or fortune.

• 2 weeks later...

You can always count on a thread about Nirvana to be 90% about Kurt's personal life and 10% about the bands music.

I always liked their music because they took the quiet verse/loud chorus dynamic to the next level. It sounded so fucking bipolar. It was great. I remember when my sister let me borrow the smells like teen spirit single. I listened to it over and over. It gave me a rush like a drug, and no other song has been able to do that to me to the same extent.

Back in the late 80s, a lot of guitarists were really into the technical style of playing, like yngwie malmsteem and joe satriani. They were so busy trying to play faster, and learn more scales, that they lost sight of what matters most, to be able to write a good tune that will affect people. Not a masteurbatory piece of shit that only other guitarists would have any interest in.

Sorry, but metal during that time was getting fucking LAME. It started out good with Led Zeppelin and Sabbath, but it evolved into Winger and Poison. Which is why dance and hip hop was taking over the mainstream in america during that time. People were tired of it. Bands like Nirvana, Pixies, Sonic Youth, Melvins, was a nice change from Ace of Base and MC Hammer.

Those bands also lead me to discover punk rock and dozens upon dozens of underground bands I wouldnt have found otherwise.

Nirvana was a really good band. Maybe even a great band. During the late 80's and early 90's there were a ton of great bands in the northwest. Nirvana was certainly one of them, but bands like Mudhoney, Screaming Trees and Love Battery were just as fun to see and just as influential to the whole Seattle sound.

What I miss isn't so much a band or a bar or a group of friends or even my youth! :) What I really miss is the sense of place music used to have. There used to be bands that sounded like they were from Seattle or Austin or Minneapolis. Different cities were into different sounds - some overlapping with other cities and some not.

With the internet and near instant transmission of ideas around the globe, it's very difficult for a city to really develop an individual sound these days. You have indie bands, which are sort of like alternative bands, which were kinda like regular rock band that never had record deals and were broke all the time.

When you peel away all of the MTV and the "grunge" and the Kurt and Courtney drama and the teen angst bullshit, Nirvana was just a damn good band to get your ear-drums permanently damaged by. The fact that any band (or any artist for that matter) is important or influential is really only important to note if they have had some sort of impact on you.

that Kurt was this incredibly ambitious musician/artist. He wanted to be famous and make money and have the biggest band around. Whereas alot of his music encouraged an entire generation to have no ambition, make no money, while having little or no social consciousness.

I don't know where you got those articles from but it's the entire opposite. Kurt hated the fame, it was the driving force of his depression. Post nevermind, he found it hard to cope with his new found fame as it reflected what he hated. He had wanted to quit the band so many times (confirmed by Krist Novoselic) but couldn't probably cause he was bounded by contract.

Anyway Kurt sang with an honest voice, and took alternative music to a new level, without Kurt many alternative bands wouldn't be what they are today. When he performed he didn't soak up the rays of worship from the crowd thinking that he was some rockstar god, but reached out to the audience as an equal. Nirvanva as a whole really stood for the common people out there. Kurt was totally against racism, rapist and descrimination against gays, and constantly spoke out against them.

I don't think his music caused an entire generation to be messed up, pretty much their own fault due to all the teenage angst and stuff. He didn't write songs like "quit school and smoke weed", but songs like "Rape me", condemning a rapist to suffering in jail. His lyrics pretty much revolves around random thoughts and parts of his everyday life. Pity I wasn't old enough to totally appreciate Nirvana when they were still around.

q3y2vVJeIU0

One of my favorite series of music clipz I found on the Youtube is the Nirvana show in Tijuana in 1990. Pretty fucking raw shit. Apparently there was this club in TJ called Iguanas that all the heavy hitters of the grunge era played back in the day (people from SD would cross the border for shows that started at like 2 am and went all night, really sketchy shit). But not much info about the club online.

Anyways, yeah, I like Nirvana.

Anyone heard of or been to Iguanas in TJ? (eh, I guess you'd have to be at least 30 to answer this question).

I don't know where you got those articles from but it's the entire opposite. Kurt hated the fame, it was the driving force of his depression. Post nevermind, he found it hard to cope with his new found fame as it reflected what he hated. He had wanted to quit the band so many times (confirmed by Krist Novoselic) but couldn't probably cause he was bounded by contract.

Anyway Kurt sang with an honest voice, and took alternative music to a new level, without Kurt many alternative bands wouldn't be what they are today. When he performed he didn't soak up the rays of worship from the crowd thinking that he was some rockstar god, but reached out to the audience as an equal. Nirvanva as a whole really stood for the common people out there. Kurt was totally against racism, rapist and descrimination against gays, and constantly spoke out against them.

I don't think his music caused an entire generation to be messed up, pretty much their own fault due to all the teenage angst and stuff. He didn't write songs like "quit school and smoke weed", but songs like "Rape me", condemning a rapist to suffering in jail. His lyrics pretty much revolves around random thoughts and parts of his everyday life. Pity I wasn't old enough to totally appreciate Nirvana when they were still around.

I don't beleive that he hated the fame. Quite simply because it take so much to get famous and rich when you're in the music biz. Why was it Nirvana? Why Kurt Cobain? He had to be ambitious. Because if he wasnt, Nirvana wouldnt have been the biggest fucking band in the world. Thats just facts. Nobody who doesnt wanna be big just gets big. The music is not that good. Why Nirvana and not tons of other bands? And whether or not he meant for it, Nirvana were the poster child for teenage angst and most teenagers arent intelligent enough to examine the lyrics or grasp the bigger picture. Also, what band takes a pro-rape stance or advocates racism and homophobia. Those are hardly progressive ideals for rock band to have. Bottom Line youre fooling yourself if you believe he was some kind of christ like figure. Those contracts didnt sign themselves. Plus he was like a crap-ass sid and nancy with his talentless shithead of a widow.

I don't beleive that he hated the fame. Quite simply because it take so much to get famous and rich when you're in the music biz. Why was it Nirvana? Why Kurt Cobain? He had to be ambitious. Because if he wasnt, Nirvana wouldnt have been the biggest fucking band in the world. Thats just facts. Nobody who doesnt wanna be big just gets big. The music is not that good. Why Nirvana and not tons of other bands? And whether or not he meant for it, Nirvana were the poster child for teenage angst and most teenagers arent intelligent enough to examine the lyrics or grasp the bigger picture. Also, what band takes a pro-rape stance or advocates racism and homophobia. Those are hardly progressive ideals for rock band to have. Bottom Line youre fooling yourself if you believe he was some kind of christ like figure. Those contracts didnt sign themselves. Plus he was like a crap-ass sid and nancy with his talentless shithead of a widow.

I don't treat him as some sort of a christ figure. I'm just saying that he is often misjudged as a person. I just don't see Kurt as the want-to-be-rich-and-famous type. I don't see why'd he put on a depressive and miserable front if he truely loved the fame. But, I could be wrong though. Overall I think that he's just a guy with good intentions, and not some devil-worshipping crackhead most people think he is.

But damn right about Courtney Love you are.