Sign in to follow this  
Hocus Pocus

Thai Beaches

We stayed in Pai for a week - could have stayed longer - loads to do around there and just a really nice place - surrounded by mountains, really green, plenty of good nights out to be had ...

Many thanks, Tiss and Poly.

I'd love to hold an SuFu meet up in Bangkok one day, so let me know if you guys are ever around. I took Poly on a quick "tour" of the underside of Bangkok about a year ago. I'm sure he would love to go for another run. So far, there's only me and Largo around here. LeicaLad is in and out of the city. I'd really like to meet this guy: helicopters and Sugarcanes. Damn.

i'm trying man. don't know when i'll be back again. you still moving to HK or back to the states?

Hey man. I've actually been waffling around a lot on this. Looks like its going to be the states early next year. Probably be in the DC or Philly or NYC area. I'm going to miss Thailand a lot, but who knows, maybe I'll be back one day. Getting married at the end of the year. So far, my friends and I have started a series of bachelor parties for every weekend til that time: phnom penh two weeks ago, poipet in a few weeks, HK/Macau next month, etc.

Hey, did you go to Phi Phi post-tsunami? It's been a few years for me. I'm thinking of going for some diving for a long weekend but wasn't sure if the island was up and running again.

I highly recommend going to Chiang Mai, in the north of Thailand. While the south offers the white sands and beaches, the north has the mountains and cool, clean weather. Compared to Bangkok, Chiang Mai has its own distinct culture, character, and language. Surrounding the old city is also a moat with ruins of old battlements still there.

The city is much smaller than Bangkok. In Chiang Mai, expect no traffic jams or congestion. You can pretty much just take a tuk tuk everywhere you need to go. Taking a trip up to Doi Su Thep mountain and going to the temple at the very top is an awesome experience. In March the entire erupts into a three day water fight to celebrate the SongKran water festival. You have everything from a 4 year old splashing pedestrians with a bowl of water in front of his house to gangs of Thai kids in the back of pickup trucks with huge barrels filled with ice water and SuperSoakers.

Also, the nightlife is amazing. Unlike Bangkok, Chiang Mai's party scene is much more unregulated. You have a Bangkok-style hip hop called Warm Up around the Nimmahemin area which closes around 2am. Afterwards, there a plenty of places to go. Discovery is still going around til around 3:30am-4:00am. Fashion (awesome basement hip hop club) around the Kat Suan Kaew mall also goes to 4:00am. From 4:00am to whenever, there is also the V Club way out toward the Airport. Chiang Mai has the cutest girls in Thailand and is much less professional or pretentious compared to Bangkok. Definitely check it out.

My friend and I had skipped chang mai in our plans and decided to spend 3 more days ontop of the 8 we are spending in krabi, phiphi, kosamui. Do you think chang mai would be a better choice?

My friend and I had skipped chang mai in our plans and decided to spend 3 more days ontop of the 8 we are spending in krabi, phiphi, kosamui. Do you think chang mai would be a better choice?

all really depends how much you love the beach

all really depends how much you love the beach

On a scale of 10 maybe 8ish.. Are the beaches that mesmorising that I would become a 10 lol?

Chiang Mai in just three days is a bit stressfull imo. I guess it makes sense to just go for the south then. I agree with Analyst though and absolutely love the city and surrounding areas.

Chiang Mai in just three days is a bit stressfull imo. I guess it makes sense to just go for the south then. I agree with Analyst though and absolutely love the city and surrounding areas.

k its settled then.. You're allowed to drink anywhere you want right, including the beach?

as long as you're a tourist and not carrying around kilos of heroin, you can do basically whatever you want really

I lived in Australia before for two years and yeah its all good over here. Really annoyed me how strict the rules for alcohol and closing times were down under. The official closing times of the nightclubs are 2 am but can be avoided by going to illegal clubs afterwards (at least in Bangkok are a couple of them).