Why do most people dress so fucking bad??

homi29

i usually don't care about how other people dress unless i don't like their personality.

for example.

poppedcollarsweb.jpg

if in real life they were nice considerate people, i could care less. let them do what they want.

but if they are douches, and if while they are being douches they think they dress better than everyone else, the outfit just adds to the hate.

This is quite easy to answer, although more elaborate essays could be and have been written about the topic. To put it simply style, just like other forms of good taste, is a positional good therefore if a distinguished minority is to have some most people must be lacking in this area. From a sociological standpoint “being cool” or “liking good art” can only be approached in relation to what other people like and are automatically used as status dividers, making people higher on the totem pole (or layered cake, take whatever analogy you like) consider those below as being inferior to them in this area. The issues gets, of course, obfuscated by the numerous splinter groups that compose society, however no matter different their culture may be they still keep some nexus points on the overall totem in addition to having a similar internal logic to regulate their own group.

I've been around Toronto lately, and i realized theres some severely poorly dressed people everywhere.

discuss

it's cause all the stylish ppl are in Cambridge, ON.

just ask our resident moron from there, he'll gladly tell you...

^^

if he's not already, dude should be in academia

and i mean that as a compliment

anyway, while homi hit on the gay thing, which is not insignificant, i also think we tend to forget that many or perhaps most americans and canadians (the 'people' op is on about, although this is true lots of places):

1) do not have a lot of dipsosable income

2) are overweight, such that neither cheaper mass-market nor more expensive stylish clothing fits them particularly well

it may not seem that way when you spend much of your leisure time in bars full of them, but relatively fit, stylish dudes with a little extra cash to burn, such as us, are the exception and not the rule

edit: i r serious cat 2day

^^

if he's not already, dude should be in academia

and i mean that as a compliment

anyway, while homi hit on the gay thing, which is not insignificant, i also think we tend to forget that many or perhaps most americans and canadians (the 'people' op is on about, although this is true lots of places):

1) do not have a lot of dipsosable income

2) are overweight, such that neither cheaper mass-market nor more expensive stylish clothing fits them particularly well

it may not seem that way when you spend much of your leisure time in bars full of them, but relatively fit, stylish dudes with a little extra cash to burn, such as us, are the exception and not the rule

edit: i r serious cat 2day

Thanks guys (I guess). I'm honestly trying to stay away from jargon (think Robideaux) but sometimes can't help it. By the way I disagree with you; there's a relatively high % of the population with lots of disposable income that goes towards positional goods and activities: middle class young people (from teen to young adults, think 16-25 or something). Just ask any marketing firm and they'll tell you how much contracts are about targeting this particular demographics. I know at some point I was getting paid to taste beer and watch ads and comment on what they meant for me or some bullshit like that, "only in the western world" focus group madness.

when you have a person who spends 3 minutes per day thinking about clothes vs another person who spends 9 hours, the person who spends 9 hours is gonna think he knows more about that shit.

of course is has nothing to do with who actually does know more.

there's a relatively high % of the population with lots of disposable income that goes towards positional goods and activities: middle class young people (from teen to young adults, think 16-25 or something)

i don't disagree that it's relatively high in both the us and can

we can go back and forth all day about whether or not that includes 'most' or simply 'many' people (which is why i said 'or perhaps most')

and i agree there are too many tools who blow all their cash on bimmers and are content to wear the same dumpy, oversized polo chinos as everyone else

or whatever

still, plenty of people have a hard enough time making ends meet; i agree it wouldn't kill them to try and make sure their target clothes fit properly, but sometimes it's a losing battle with that stuff (and see my point 2 above)

otoh, there are plenty of people on here who dress simply, cheaply, and well - aa, dickies, vans, etc.

so it can be done

i guess my answer to the title question is...i dunno

to confuse the issue even further (and this has been touched on already), i would say there's value in conformity for many if not most people - that's why it's called conformity - and that tends to rule out wardrobe creativity

It's because people are poorly motivated, lazy, & just don't give a shit. My theory is that it relates to people who poorly keep like a maintained house( like there are piles of clothes on the floor & drywall has holes in it). I know a couple people that fill this description & they dress like total shit.

It's because people are poorly motivated, lazy, & just don't give a shit. My theory is that it relates to people who poorly keep like a maintained house( like there are piles of clothes on the floor & drywall has holes in it). I know a couple people that fill this description & they dress like total shit.

^^^^

pat?

diez chars

I don't know about the rest of the world, but maybe if Canadiens stopped saying "Eh?" after every fuckin' sentence, they'd have some extra time to coordinate their wardrobes. Just a thought, eh?

hope this is a joke. It's CanadiANS

you are an ignorant cock-smoke, eh?!

People on fashion forums don't all dress goodly either.

WAYWT is pretty shit of late i agree. i mainly brought up the topic because i was bored as fuck

that being said im not quite sure if it's depressing or encouraging that most people have poor tastes in music, movies, fashion etc etc

WAYWT is pretty shit of late i agree. i mainly brought up the topic because i was bored as fuck

that being said im not quite sure if it's depressing or encouraging that most people have poor tastes in music, movies, fashion etc etc

i agree with you(and i know a lot of my fits miss - still trying to figure out how to wear some of my stuff) but what are some of your favorite fits? that's a bit out of the range of this topic, though

i havent read any of this thread so if its been said already then whatever. people dress bad cause its cheaper to dress bad. some people dress just to cover nakedness, some dress for weather reasons. some dress for comfort, yeah sweats are comfortable but you look like a fuckin 'tard. thats my 2cents, which i will take to the flea market and get a new shirt.

why do most people dress so badly?

elementary. if we assume that the 'steez' trait follows a normal distribution among the population, and define one standard deviation above the mean as 'ok' and two standard deviations above the mean as 'very stylish' (i.e. sufu standards), then clearly 95% of the population will be regarded as below standard.

asking such a question on a self selected elitist fashion board is like a bunch of NBA players in the locker room going, 'why are most people so fucking short?'