philippines :: general

whats wack is the medicine they give you has the craziest names and they dont work for shit.. whats up with that??

never get your teeth pulled out there they have no vicodin, no tylenol etc...

if they would import other medicines; all the philippine companies would go outta buisness, so they just dont do it. cause they know there shit sucks.

its like how san miguel is the only beer.

this is the silliest thread ever. IMO the OP is moving over to the Philippines for all the wrong reasons... there's a reason why your parents went through all of that trouble to live and work in the US. As much as I love the Philippines (and I do, A LOT) there's no future there for most people. And the last thing the Philippines needs is some Fil-Am coming over there, thinking that he can come over and own the place based on his American-ness.

Makati is NOT the Philippines. Makati is the Philippines being pressured by the developed world into pretending to be a sleek, cosmopolitan place when for like 90% of the country, it's not. It's a shit hole.

If you're going to move back to the Philippines after having lived in the US all your life, do them a favor and finish your education here. Improve the country's economy with your education. Don't go to Manila for shopping, or living it up at FUCKING Greenbelt.

That shit is so fake it makes me sick.

makulay ang buhay? ^

a lot of the filipino(not fil-ams) hip-hop artists came from the slums thou, aka d-coy, apokalipsis, etc.

fyi I'm not familiar with gangs in the Philippines but all I know is a popular gang, True Brown Style 13, or TBS. You've probably seen their tags all around. Lots of people posin' as TBS too, so you never know who really is part of.

a link i found: http://www.freewebs.com/tbs13westcoastmakati/aboutus.htm

link found on that site.. :confused:

top of the page says.."TBS13*WesTCoasT*Makati

WTF...Makati? meaning.. that's where this "gang" is from? Makati is full of 'ghetto' gangster pinoys?

you'll find more of these type of videos.. all the guys are in baggy tees, bandanas around their face, fitteds and tsinelas (flip flops) on their feet holding rifles and pistols in their hand. not that i have anything against it. if that's what they want to do with their lives, so be it. that's their own personal decision, but i think this is a bit much.

but really..what the hell is going on out there?

is it wrong that im moving back to makati so i can be lazy and not have to do shit all day? the reason my parents worked so hard all this time in the US is so i can go to makati and not work or go to school if i choose.

^In that sense... Maybe... But if you can make your own money to do that, why not? Thats what parents wanted right? For their children to be well off, healthy, happy, and not have to worry about poverty no matter where they are in life...

Whether its in the states, PI, or anywhere else.

Yea the PI is fucked, yea the Fil-Ams using the fact that their "Fil-Ams," is fucked, but what isnt?

Everythings fucked. But its how you deal with the shit around you.

stuntastic I never see you around lol

Haha, where you stayin around?

IT IS WHAT IT IS THERE HOMIES!

i was clownin writing the shit i wrote tho. if you can't help but to think "STOOPS" after my post's i aint mad.

manila is a fun easy going place... just cause your in the 10% of cats who can afford shit doesn't make you a bad person.

my 2 cents is...

GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN!!!

people who took me seriously...

i got one suggestion...

let me take you out and show how you it is.

if your trying to change philippines politically or socially you will get merked so why change something you can't. you might as well commit suicide.

WTF...Makati? meaning.. that's where this "gang" is from? Makati is full of 'ghetto' gangster pinoys?

Makati is more than Greenbelt, Glorietta and Rockwell, there are slums over there as well, it's just well hidden haha. Most of it is near the Makati-Mandaluyong borders or the Manila-Makati borders. I do think that most of the videos are for posin' more than anything. That's just how it goes in a community(not just the slums), people will want to be accepted and be part of a clique.

About the 'gang' life shit, I can only guess that maybe their outlook with regards their future is bleak, that there's no way out of their current situation. Who knows? Maybe it's all the cultural influences of FPJ/action movies, everybody wants to be a fucken' tough guy, aka guns = tough.

manila is a fun easy going place... just cause your in the 10% of cats who can afford shit doesn't make you a bad person.

Agreed. it doesn't. People are free to decide how they want to live their lives.

if your trying to change philippines politically or socially you will get merked so why change something you can't. you might as well commit suicide.

Hasn't stopped people from trying though, and I don't think they will, which, imho, a good thing :)

people who took me seriously...

i got one suggestion...

let me take you out and show how you it is.

i didn't take your comments seriously, but can i take your offer of taking me out for a good time in the metro? :D just joking.

there are lots of pro's and con's about in living here in the Philippines. most of them are stated here already. it's actually up to you if you're willing to take those risks. but you'll centainly love it here once you know how to deal with life here.

a lot of the filipino(not fil-ams) hip-hop artists came from the slums thou, aka d-coy, apokalipsis, etc.

no love for andrew e?

his tapes got me through roadtrips growing up

re: tagalog

last time i was there it was easy enough to have fun and get laid with english only

but how autonomous can you really be without tagalog fluency?

getting a job, dealing with banks/landlords, traveling outside of manila

is it difficult to do these things yourself (without having to rely on relatives or a gf translating) knowing conti lang?

but how autonomous can you really be without tagalog fluency?

In my experience, you could get by in Manila with just English (since it's pretty much the lingua franca there) but it's definitely to your advantage to know enough tagalog to tell whether someone's fucking around with you (especially when it comes to money matters i.e. at the palengke, buying an apt, etc)

Outside of Manila (and Cebu, probably), don't count too much on people's English skills.

My two cents.

almondcrush, speaking english is not a problem. i think understanding some tagalog words is a must though. just the important stuff is enough. you shoud understand enough to know if people are trying to help you or saying bad things to your face.

see i wouldn't have a problem understanding the language. i've been surrounded by it and spoken to by my parents in tagalog since i was born so i understand pretty much all of it, i'd know if i was getting the run around and enough to where if someone was giving me a hard time in tagalog, i'd know.

i just have a hard time speaking it without sounding really.. (what word describes that?) americanized? the tone of my voice, the way i say the words, it's more.. i guess you can call it butchered? i know what i'm trying to say but the way i pronounce the words isn't the "correct" way, so i don't know if i'd be taken seriously if i attempted to speak it, but i understand just about all of it. i can converse with cousins and relatives and family with them speaking tagalog to me and me speaking in english back to them. it's mutual. we understand each other, most of my cousins understand english well because thats the lingua franca as someone said previously but they speak in tagalog more than 99% of the time but they understand english, just as us (as Fil-Ams) talk in english more than 99% of the time but we understand tagalog.

Hah, you can get by with English in Manila. When buy something or whatever, I'll speak Tagalog at first, but then I'll get a stop and just have to pull out the English. But I'm visaya, so tagalog is like a completely different language to me and I'm fucked in that regard.. I could barely understand tagalog if at all.

^In that sense... Maybe... But if you can make your own money to do that, why not? Thats what parents wanted right? For their children to be well off, healthy, happy, and not have to worry about poverty no matter where they are in life...

Whether its in the states, PI, or anywhere else.

Yea the PI is fucked, yea the Fil-Ams using the fact that their "Fil-Ams," is fucked, but what isnt?

Haha, where you stayin around?

QC. Pretty far considering traffic and all that shiet