philippines :: general

What's new folks?

Anybody able to go to that Sneaker event a week ago? It actually went pretty well from what I heard, enough so that there was a huge line-up right before it opened, how about that.

We're having Huck Gee come over to Greyone this Saturday. I don't know if anyone here is big into vinyl, toys, or just plain graphic design, but He'll be at the store signing stuff from 6-8. It's definately worth a peek.

i think i'm going to the philippines in the winter, can anyone show me proper places to visit? i don't know if my cousins are in the know or what not. or if there is even a "know" in manila

What do you want? Some narcotics or somekind of shit? I might be able to hook you up.

Good places to eat? I can definately hook you up.

Want to party like you nver did before? Stuntastic be the man for the job.

Rocker,

It's PHP 60+ already mayne.

Don't know if he's the guy you've heard of, but there's a bunch of people that do Binondo food tours. My friend's lived in Binondo all his life AND is a hardcore foodie (reviews/writes for Appetite and a couple of other magazines, etc.) so I trust him to show me the good spots in the area. :)

For history tours, I've heard Carlos Celdran is good.

- Brian

yeah like fun restaurants maybe something snazzy, good places for nightlife, places to check out the music scene, places to go and things to see for a filipina american. my family lives in bulacan i think it is, i don't know how far that is in relation to manila. someone fill me in?

Bulacan's outside and north of Metro Manila. It will be a challenge to get to the good spots in Pasig, Makati or The Fort (Taguig) if you don't have a car/driver at your disposal. Even if you do, it will take you at least an hour to get to Makati with the traffic.

- Brian

I had a good time at the Rockeoke Nights at mag:net cafe at High Street when I went in April. It's basically karaoke with a live band. So many cute girls in the crowd. I saw Anne Curtis on one of the nights I went:

It seemed like it was at the height of its popularity when I was there. The place was packed on both nights I attended. It might have died down since then and there will probably be some new hot shit in the next few months. I also went to Ponticello's (Ponti's) in Makati. Lots of beautiful people but I felt like the dirty old man in the club. It's definitely a younger college/post college crowd. And I can't get with that loud, booming techno shit that they were blasting all night. I preferred the more laid back places like mag:net in The Fort or Capone's in Makati. Capone's is good for checking out live bands and kicking back with a beer. The crowd was closer to my age too. Saguijo in Makati is another place to check out live music. The bands I saw at Saguijo, like Drip, were much better than the bands at Capone's.

My favorite places to eat in the Philippines are the ones that serve seafood. I stayed in the Renaissance Towers in Pasig and there was this wet market nearby where you choose your fresh fish, crabs, shrimp, etc. and they prepare it for you in the several restaurants surrounding the wet market. Most of the servers and waiters were transvestites or gay. Any of the locals know what I'm talking about? The food was so good. There are also a bunch of good Chinese restaurants around the Green Hills/San Juan area that serve slammin sea food. One restaurant that comes to mind is King Crab. I haven't tried the newer, fancy restaurants in Greenbelt 5 or Serendra. I'd much rather eat at the mom and pop joints where the real shit is.

If you don't know people or have relatives in Manila to show you around, I think you'd be better off going to one or two of the beautiful beaches in the Philippines. Manila can be very overwhelming if you don't know your way around. Of course, Boracay is the popular choice for beach destinations in the PI. If you want a more peaceful getaway, check out places in Palawan like El Nido or Coron. If you're into surfing, there are some great spots in the PI like Zambales or La Union. If you want something more off the beaten path and more untouched, check out Siargao. Perfect waves in Cloud 9.

I preferred the more laid back places like mag:net in The Fort or Capone's in Makati. Capone's is good for checking out live bands and kicking back with a beer. The crowd was closer to my age too. Saguijo in Makati is another place to check out live music. The bands I saw at Saguijo, like Drip, were much better than the bands at Capone's.

I've only been to Capones once, but I think Saguijo is more musician friendly, compared to Capones. Lots of indie and unsigned bands pay their dues at Saguijo before making it big.

My favorite places to eat in the Philippines are the ones that serve seafood. I stayed in the Renaissance Towers in Pasig and there was this wet market nearby where you choose your fresh fish, crabs, shrimp, etc. and they prepare it for you in the several restaurants surrounding the wet market. Most of the servers and waiters were transvestites or gay. Any of the locals know what I'm talking about?

Probably Dampa sa Libis, along E. Rodriguez/C-5 road?

If you don't know people or have relatives in Manila to show you around, I think you'd be better off going to one or two of the beautiful beaches in the Philippines. Manila can be very overwhelming if you don't know your way around. Of course, Boracay is the popular choice for beach destinations in the PI. If you want a more peaceful getaway, check out places in Palawan like El Nido or Coron. If you're into surfing, there are some great spots in the PI like Zambales or La Union. If you want something more off the beaten path and more untouched, check out Siargao. Perfect waves in Cloud 9.

+1 I learned to surf in Zambales couple years back, and these are good recommendations. It's starting to get into surfing season, so now's a good time to hit the waves (or learn, if you've never surfed before).

For Chinese food, Gloria Maris is highly recommended, plus it's location is great cause it's so near to Promenade/V-Mall area. Another nearby Chinese restaurant that's quite popular these days is Choi Garden.

For local music/bands, I still feel Saguijo is one of the best places to go. Good mix of established and up & coming bands. Plus I like the 'homey' albiet crowded feel.

I agree with Carlos, you've gotta try out Rockeoke. That's one thing you'll find a lot of here in the Philippines, karaoke. Last week, the backing band was Rivermaya, it was fun trying to be a frontman even if it was just one song. The crowd is chill too and lots of headturners for sure (although I think Samsikle is a girl, so she might not enjoy this as much).

Other food recos, for Korean food, there are lots in the Malate area, Korean Village is most recommended. For the northern part of Manila, there are few around the Ortigas/Pasig area, I forgot the name but there was this Korean joint along the Golf Complex along Julia Vargas Street.

I've only been to Capones once, but I think Saguijo is more musician friendly, compared to Capones. Lots of indie and unsigned bands pay their dues at Saguijo before making it big.

Probably Dampa sa Libis, along E. Rodriguez/C-5 road?

+1 I learned to surf in Zambales couple years back, and these are good recommendations. It's starting to get into surfing season, so now's a good time to hit the waves (or learn, if you've never surfed before).

I've eaten at Dampa sa Libis and the food was great too. But I was referring to the wet market in Pasig/Ortigas that's right next to the place where everyone gets their pirated DVD's. It's weird how these two wet markets recruit transvestites and baklas to work for them. It's always a trip for the balikbayans to see.

The surf culture is alive and well in the Philippines. I met some cool people in the Manila surf community when I was there in April. I also met and chilled with some of the locals in Siargao. They're all down to earth, good hearted people. There's a huge surf competition in Cloud 9 in September where everyone in Siargao goes nuts. I'm gonna try to make it back for that if my work allows me. I think the height of the surf season is around December and January, so there will be plenty of waves to catch if you're there at that time. The weather is generally the nicest at that time of year as well. I'd love to be in the Philippines during Christmas and New Years but the ticket prices from New York must be bananas now, especially with the stupid high gas prices.

Nothing beats Dampa in Macapagal near SM Mall of Asia. It's near the bay and the food is great.

Bulacan to Manila? I woudn't even imagine that. I have a few classmates who leave their houses at arround 4:30 am just for them not to miss our 7am class. Traffic is very bad in the PHLs but things seem to have gone better since last week, Maybe the effect of super high gas prices. Getting a car to get arround seems to be a good idea but I doubt if you can navigate the streets here....

If you want to go arround chinatown, I can help you. Im chinese and I know my way arround there. Im no professional foodie but I have been going to some of these places since I was a wee lad. Don't get me wrong Gloria Maris is good but it seems different to me because of it's location.

Carlos, maybe you are pertaining to this place called Metrowalk, that's pirated DVD heaven in Pasig.

D99, bring a raincoat or atleast an umbrella. When I mean rain coat, something that's like made of polyester that keeps you dry in rain not them trench coats. I was drivin arround today and it suddenly rained. I hope I don't catch a cold.

If you want to go arround chinatown, I can help you. Im chinese and I know my way arround there. Im no professional foodie but I have been going to some of these places since I was a wee lad. Don't get me wrong Gloria Maris is good but it seems different to me because of it's location.

Yeah, it's a classy place with better food presentation. I lived a good 7-8 years in the Binondo area too, plus my office is around the area. I like President's before, too bad they closed down. Tasty Dumpling is pretty good too, but nowadays you can have that in a lot of places. There's this noodle shop (I forgot the name) near St. Stephen's that has the best Maki Mi, it's a bit rundown but the food is tops. Recently there has been some hype for the La Mian shop near Diao Eng Chai. DEC itself has good pastry, I like their almond cakes. Hmm what else.. oh! A must try is the Eng Bee Tin hopia, you can get the assorted pack and bring it home as gifts for your relatives. And if you can ride the Kalesa and hopefully it stops in the middle of the road to pee, or to shit.

chinese? halo der!

haro ebribadi

Bulacan to Manila? I woudn't even imagine that. I have a few classmates who leave their houses at arround 4:30 am just for them not to miss our 7am class. Traffic is very bad in the PHLs but things seem to have gone better since last week, Maybe the effect of super high gas prices. Getting a car to get arround seems to be a good idea but I doubt if you can navigate the streets here....

fuck mate. well i bet one of my relatives has a car and will be willing to show me around. i'm interested in that live band karaoke place, but i can't sing well, although it doesn't deter anyone from doing so after a few beers. once i figure out more details, i'll update for my trip, hopefully someone will be willing to give me more directions. i'll definitely keep checking out this thread though.

Was President's the place with the amazing fried chicken?

Think that's Savory your talking about there. I was over in China town last week aswell, shopping for fabrics in Divisoria. It's crazy. I mean, for somebody who lives mainly around Makati, going to Divisoria was like a whole different country.

I was able to try out hopia over at Eng Bee Tin, meh, I still think that Polland/Holland stuff better, idk, not my taste. They've crazy Pilipit though, leave it to the Chinese to make a local pastry about a million times better.

Was President's the place with the amazing fried chicken?
Think that's Savory your talking about there...

Actually I just checked with my friend. The name of the little hole-in-the-wall I was thinking of with amazing fried chicken is Sincerity. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find it on my own.