philippines :: general

you gotta know the right people! get connected!

i was there for 6 months left 5 months ago goin back in 2 months.

got there stayed at p.burgos for a month got tired of the GRO's and moved to fort bonafacio. its next level there!! live there!!

made friends my first night when i dj'd at jaipur. killed it had fun. big ups to dj skratchmark!! he runs ish there.

made money dj'n, workin for MTV consulting. get your hustle on. people say you can be anything in manila. but i say why be something your not.

had a idiot driver named ONO who cut my cats whispers off to quote "make him look more pogi" the cat already has no tail and u cut his whiskers off?? my ex found him on the street.

fired my made for lookin thru my things all the time. and she meesed up my favorite shirts. so i had no cook so i had to eat out all day. so wack...

makati is expensive i save more money here in LA. IT AINT CHEAP THERE.

life is hard but its hard everywhere. dont be afraid to take taxi's make them afraid of you!!

my favorite day time kick it spot was the manila polo club. i would go there to chill and smoke weed with my ex's homegirls who hated her! find your future wifey here!!! all rich girls are horny girls.

i met homies for life in manila. ive also met weirdos and haters in manila. just when you think it cant get weirder it does. stay away from the weirdo's.

nightlife is the only time i like there. HAPPY MONDAYS at cuisine is the bizness i dj there when im there so HOLLA!! tuesdays at capones tooo in salcedo village i dj there too when im there. look for dj red-i or dj skratchmark if youz american to point you in the right direction. holla at em!! they my boys. go to my boy tollo's party at greenbelt temple and my boy kikos part fluxxe on thursday also at greenbelt. holla!!

if you were worried manila didnt have drugs well, they do. coke, weed, shroomz, valium, k, exstacy, oxy, whatever you want. stay away from the tweekers tho.

find a rich girl take her out have paparazzi take your picture and say, "i better see that shit in the newspaper or magazine." those socialite magazines are retarded anyways.

watch out for SOCIALITE A-HOLES. THERE EVERYWHERE HATING ON FIL-AMS. its like these dudes never left the philippines and think there the ish cause there rich. bump into those people. put you shoulder into it.

do all of these things and youll love the philippines.

^^ blah ^^

blah??? this is superjetset right??? this is a forum to learn how to jetset basically..i was just trying to put people up on game. manila is a small bubble of folks. speaking for myself id rather kick it with former presidents grandsons then my own cousins there.

crazy ish is that i hardly spoke tagalog at all, only when i was in taxi's.

manila people show mad love. the only thing wack about it is thats its so small you get tired of seeing the same faces over and over. evryone knows your bizness which is wack. i can't wait to get back tho.

security guards wherever your at don't trip at all if your boy's dad is their boss. hahaha

my third night there i got really drunk dj'd at cuisine got on the microphone and made every model ho put there gun fingaz in the air and the mothersuckers (socialites) got shook cause they thought i was taunting them and we made all their girls our groupies that night. i had alll the folks slapping the walls like it was a soundclash i was rewinding songs making everyone say puuulll up...had waiters there bigging me up and had everyone singing to songs they never heard... people going brrrah brrrahh like that had guns on their fingers got them thinking like this guy is hating on us. long story short they hate americans who are loud, they had 3 carloads of manila mafia no joke ready to kill all the homies i made that night from the nike party early on that day. that was my funnest night there too...they too much into the trance, and wack house and i love house . they were pissed off i played ice cream from raekwon thats why they were pissed. hip hop is the ghetto of all ghetto ish there. but then all the same dudes who were hating started goin to the so called coool basically hipster places my boy's dj at. fake asses... only kissin our ass cause we had the party favors. be easy those socialites will get you killed for like 40$$$ 2000 pesos will get anyone merked. be careful.

i hate embassy tho, i boycott that spot. cuisine is only cool on monday's.. its like cinespace tuesdays in manila.

IMHO, you've barely touched the true essence of Manila lifestyle. There's so much more than nightlife, clubs and grandsons of ex-presidents. Plus probably only less than 10% of the population could afford this type of lifestyle, which wouldn't be a proper representation of how life in Manila could be.

While it's exactly the best city/country in the world, there's just that special something that even though it's 3rd world, it makes people fall in love with the place.

^I haven't been in touch with the scene that much, but for the past 2-3 years, the rock scene has been on the rise, with many rock themed bars opening up to cater to various acts. And bands grouping together to organize their own regular gigs/events. Saguijo in Makati, near the TBWA/Tequila office is pretty good place to start, but there should be lots of new places to check out.

The independent scene is one of the major reasons behind the recent rock 'boom', as only a few years earlier I believe around 99-02, bands were getting fucked over or not getting signed by the major labels. This was the post-Eraserheads, Rivermaya era in the early to mid-90's when rock immensely popular.

I also believe that the current rock/alt/indie movement also opened up a lot of opportunities(and the public's minds) for people in the design/art and fashion field as these communities are closely knit and fueled by the same DIY spirit.

While there are plenty of good bands in the scene, there are tons of shitty ones as well, mostly major label backed/created to sell records types.

so one question..

should you be UP on your tagalog speaking skills if you're going to be living there? (or could you get away with just knowing the language and communicating with them in straight english?) i understand all of it but i can't really speak it without sounding odd and weird.

i was there for 2 weeks.. and i remember one of the times i was out with my cousins and one of my aunts, we were walking through green hills waiting for my uncle to park so we could go get a bite to eat and ALL the girls approached me.. gave me the "flirty" eyes (not sure if they did that to everyone) and would say.."sir, bile na. maraming sizes. lacoste polo, sir. "

and i'd just walk by and stop sometimes to actually take a good look at the polo and the smallest sizes (the more fitted) were way boxy for my liking.. even if i was going to buy one.. and i replied with..

"napaka lake.. wala nang smaller sizes?" and i guess me being the Fil-Am that i am.. i sounded waaaaaaaaaaaay messed up and the girl was like..

"ay, napaka cute naman!" and my dad just laughed and my one 8 year old cousin in his best english says.."he's from AMERICA!" and everyone turned and looked at me. (excuse the spelling if it's wrong.. i did the best i could lol)

i understand the language.. basically everything about it, and i attempt to speak it but i just end up sounding weird to other people/my family so i just don't speak in tagalog. lol my parents were always like.."do your best to NOT talk in english..just don't say anything at all.. " and when i would speak english (of course being American) i would get SO many stares from people walking by me wherever we were in the Philippines. Makati, outskirts of Manila, the province, etc.

havent been to manila since i was a kid.. but i head to cebu every few months... very chill

kick back on the beach .. take the "super baanka" out for island hopping or some diving

been very intrested to hit up manila, been recieving man invites from friends living there and family friends.. but just no time...

from all the post ive been reading.. manila sounds like any developing south east asian/asian country's capital... with a few differences here and there.. bangkok, jakarta, singapore, shanghai .. ect ect

been very intrested to hit up manila, been recieving man invites from friends living there and family friends.. but just no time...

Does that mean...

Aha just kidding...

The Philippines has changed a whole lot in the last few years...

Im amazed at how "social" everyone is trying to be... Which is sad, yet funny at the same time. I joke around with my girlfriend about "social this social that."

IMO...

Social = Americana.

Unless Im just dumb and thats what it IS...

But...

The Philippines is great other than I spit blood here and cant take a #2 since Thursday...

I THINK IM DYING...

hahaha, nah.. it's because they are 'rakistas' ;)

just like when hip-hop was popular just a few years back, all the masses would wear baggy shirts/jerseys and fake fitteds. (well some still do) but now its time for 'pank rak!' and emooo :D

a lot of the filipino(not fil-ams) hip-hop artists came from the slums thou, aka d-coy, apokalipsis, etc.

fyi I'm not familiar with gangs in the Philippines but all I know is a popular gang, True Brown Style 13, or TBS. You've probably seen their tags all around. Lots of people posin' as TBS too, so you never know who really is part of.

a link i found: http://www.freewebs.com/tbs13westcoastmakati/aboutus.htm

The Philippines is great other than I spit blood here and cant take a #2 since Thursday...

I THINK IM DYING...

i hate hospitals in the philippines. hope you #2 soon man!! gettin sick in manila is the worst feeling ever.

Oh man... I havent been sick in almost over a year... Being in the PI first time getting sick... And it was hell...

LBM the firs week, then got some random cold at the beach (WTF), and allergies and blah blah blah... now watever the fuck I got... Took 3 ducolox yesterday and nothing...

This sucks...